Author Topic: New Guy - New Guitar  (Read 1106 times)

DimEyeGuitarGuy

New Guy - New Guitar
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »
Hey folks,

A little about myself...

In April and July of 2015, I had two strokes. The fortunate side of this was that the effect on my cognitive and mobility abilities was minimal.

Unfortunately, the strokes took the majority of my vision. I was diagnosed with Non-Arteritic Ischemic Optic Neuropathy. I am considered legally blind but I am, thankfully, not completely blind. My vision is like looking through two large straws. Unfortunately, even that vision is rather blurry and there appears to be a haze over everything. I can't drive and stuff so I'm permanently and totally disabled.

​ They say that losing one's vision is akin to losing a loved one. At least from the perspective of dealing with the loss. I can attest that this is very true. After losing my vision, I became very depressed. I rarely left the house, literally, for months and months.

It has been a REALLY long road of recovery and over-coming depression. The doctors have told me that I needed to find a hobby; find something to do. My wife says so too Well, as a boy, I played guitar (enough to strum and play rhythm). I started playing piano around the age of 18 and that has been my primary instrument since then. I'm 45 years old.

So after a year or so of consideration, I've decided to take up guitar. I'm really looking forward to it and I've heard this is a great community.

I've done a lot of research and decided on a Taylor 414ce-R. (I'll do a NGD post perhaps even though I've already received it) I'm interested in thumbpicking styles of Doyle Dykes, Tommy Emmanuel, Pete Huttlinger. But I'm probably MORE interested in the flatpicking solo guitar style of Robert Bowlin. I've been watching a lot of videos trying to figure that out. Although, another forum has been telling me I have the wrong guitar for that style (flatpicking), I think it's the right one :) What say you?

Excited to be here and hope to meet lots of new friends.

Tom (DEGG)
Tom (DEGG)

2021 Taylor 914CE LTD Bocote

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: New Guy - New Guitar
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »
Welcome Tom. So sorry to hear about your health issues. Using music to help you along is such a great idea. It has always been there for me, especially during the difficult times. Glad you joined us here.

BTW, I think the 414ce-R would be a wonderful guitar to flatpick. Some think a DN is the only way to go, but that guitar you have will hold its own very well.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
Welcome Tom. So sorry to hear about your health issues. Using music to help you along is such a great idea. It has always been there for me, especially during the difficult times. Glad you joined us here.

BTW, I think the 414ce-R would be a wonderful guitar to flatpick. Some think a DN is the only way to go, but that guitar you have will hold its own very well.

Thanks, TaylorGirl. No need to be sorry though. I'm incredibly blessed (I'm vertical still) :) I'm REALLY glad to read your comment on this guitar doing the job. It seems that, elsewhere on the internet, if your head stock doesn't have the name M-N on it, it just can't be good enough...

Tom (DEGG)
Tom (DEGG)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the introduction.  Pleased to have you among us here in this community DimEyeGuitarGuy.  Don't be concerned about your guitar not handling the job, it will.  By the way, the redwood 414 is a very cool guitar. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 10:14:27 AM »
.....No need to be sorry though. I'm incredibly blessed (I'm vertical still) :)

I love that attitude.  Having lived through a brain tumor that suddenly paralyzed the entire left side of my body (temporarily) I can relate to and heartily support your positive spirit.  Go Tom!!  Make lemonade.....

A 414-R will handle anything that you want to use it for.  I play my ovankgol 414ce at bluegrass jams all the time, and no one ever complains about the brand name on the headstock.  I also play Hawaiian slack-key and a lot of finger style Piedmont blues and ragtime.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

DimEyeGuitarGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 11:52:52 PM »
.....No need to be sorry though. I'm incredibly blessed (I'm vertical still) :)

I love that attitude.  Having lived through a brain tumor that suddenly paralyzed the entire left side of my body (temporarily) I can relate to and heartily support your positive spirit.  Go Tom!!  Make lemonade.....

A 414-R will handle anything that you want to use it for.  I play my ovankgol 414ce at bluegrass jams all the time, and no one ever complains about the brand name on the headstock.  I also play Hawaiian slack-key and a lot of finger style Piedmont blues and ragtime.

Earl,
Glad to hear you're doing well. Thank you for the comments... both about my health and my guitar.

Thank you to everyone else who has posted as well.

Tom (DEGG)
Tom (DEGG)

rayloftis

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:41:03 PM »
A great hobby and music soothes the soul and certainly smooths out the rough spots in our lives
Glad your here and I look forward to see your progress on playing guitar
Blessings all
Ray