Author Topic: Thumb picks ... which and why?  (Read 1111 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Thumb picks ... which and why?
« on: May 26, 2018, 02:02:06 PM »
I've been slowly trying to switch over from flat picks to thumb picks, and they all look pretty much alike.  What's your absolute favorite -- regardless of price -- and why do you like it?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Thumb picks ... which and why?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
I've tried a number of them over the years, and could never fully adapt.  I have big beefy thumbs and many just don't fit, or fit well enough to be stable.  Some literally strangled my thumb, turning it blue after a bit.  My thumb also has a pronounced back bend, so the thumb pick surface does not strike at a good angle.  Fortunately, I am blessed with pretty good natural nails for my finger picking.  Unless I'm playing more than ~90 minutes a day, they grow out faster than they wear away.

Of the thumb picks I've tried, the Fred Kelly Speed Pick came the closest to working for me.  Everything else has been way too thick, or too thin, just did not fit, or had some other issue.  I have similar problems with finger picks too - Alaska picks are the only ones I've had any success with (after some filing) and then only on an emergency basis while a nail was healing.
http://fredkellypicks.com/product-category/speed/
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Charmed Life Picks

Re: Thumb picks ... which and why?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:14:23 PM »
I've been slowly trying to switch over from flat picks to thumb picks, and they all look pretty much alike.  What's your absolute favorite -- regardless of price -- and why do you like it?

Dennis, the Blue Chip thumb picks are very good. They use a little nub at the end of the pick that is the same material used in their renown flatpick line.

scott memmer
Charmed Life Picks is endorsed by Eastman Guitars. We are also endorsed by stellar Bluegrass guitarist Brad Davis.