Author Topic: K14ce Builder's Edition  (Read 6825 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: K14ce Builder's Edition
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 09:24:43 AM »
There was a time when you could order a K24 with a natural stain versus the edgeburst which is standard. Not sure that Taylor offers that now. With that said, the koa of late does not have the flame and figure we used to see in the 90s and early 2000s. You can upgrade to AA koa on your K24 if you wish. My K24 was ordered with upgraded koa and even with the edgeburst, it's a dramatic looking instrument. Regarding tone blossom, mine was fantastic out of the box (upgraded to Adi bracing), and its tone has matured into a sweet, balanced sound that grabs me every time I play it. As compared with my other Taylors (limiteds and custom builds), she holds her own quite nicely. Just my $.02
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 10:36:56 AM »
There was a time when you could order a K24 with a natural stain versus the edgeburst which is standard. Not sure that Taylor offers that now. With that said, the koa of late does not have the flame and figure we used to see in the 90s and early 2000s...

I've made the same general observation:  with few exceptions, the Koa Taylor is using now is not as aesthetically-pleasing as it had been; even as recently as November 2012, when my K24ce was built.  Oh, some of the tops on the GS Mini Koa models have been rather striking; but I concluded that was simply a result of using wood pieces that were too small for the Koa Series.  True to their business model, Taylor found a use for that wood rather than simply discarding it.

But the darker edgeburst stain that started appearing on the Koa Series around 2013, to me, was just a way to 'dress up' -- perhaps even hide -- a wood supply did not have as much dramatic figuring as it had in the past.  Again, Taylor is trying to make productive use of harvested wood; and it's likely there's little sonic difference in the wood, regardless of the figuring.  But one of the hallmarks of Taylor's instruments made with Koa was their often-remarkable aesthetics; my eyes just haven't gotten the same "Wow!" reaction from Taylor's edgeburst Koa Series (or frankly, the K14ce BE) that they did back when I bought my K24ce...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »
Mine's from 2014, and I still like the look of the koa:

https://imgur.com/TV00rSA

https://imgur.com/JnPm2hs

https://imgur.com/XBrB5SU

ClassicRock

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2018, 07:16:47 PM »
That is certainly a beauty. I think a lot of woods are less figured as we transition from old growth forests to plantation grown wood. Certainly many Rosewoods available today are pretty tame looking. Maybe you guys need to investigate Ziricote? Martin has done some fantastic figured backs with this wood.

Anyway, the K24ce I just committed to has a relatively light staining on it so the wood simply shines and is pretty well figured by today’s standards. And, it is V-braced which I predict will be a ‘must-have’ feature for those buying used Taylor’s down the road.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2018, 10:44:35 PM »

Agreed, "SF;" that's a very nice wood set!  But you also said you paid for upgraded wood with nicer figuring.  My point was the aesthetic appeal of the 'regular' Koa Taylor has been using for about the last 5 years has declined in my view; 10-15 years ago, a standard K-Series Taylor would have looked like yours -- no upgrade necessary.  On average they all sound just as good; but I think Taylor's Koa supply has become rather plain looking of late...

... I think a lot of woods are less figured as we transition from old growth forests to plantation grown wood. Certainly many Rosewoods available today are pretty tame looking...

It's possible that's the reason.  I agree that a lot of the EIR being used by all of the guitar manufacturers has become pretty unremarkable where the aesthetics are concerned...  Ovangkol too...  About the only wood in any of Taylor's standard, solid-wood guitar lines that still consistently has some visual appeal is Maple in the 600 Series.  It's also kind-of ironic to me that some of the nicer-looking woods I've seen in the past five years have been on the 200 Series laminates...

... Maybe you guys need to investigate Ziricote? Martin has done some fantastic figured backs with this wood...

I've seen a couple of Taylors done in Ziricote.  If I'm not mistaken, Taylor did at least one limited edition using that wood; certainly I've seen a BTO or two in that wood.  From what I understand, though, Ziricote can be difficult to work with -- which may be why it's not used too often.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »

Agreed, "SF;" that's a very nice wood set!  But you also said you paid for upgraded wood with nicer figuring.  My point was the aesthetic appeal of the 'regular' Koa Taylor has been using for about the last 5 years has declined in my view; 10-15 years ago, a standard K-Series Taylor would have looked like yours -- no upgrade necessary.  On average they all sound just as good; but I think Taylor's Koa supply has become rather plain looking of late...

... I think a lot of woods are less figured as we transition from old growth forests to plantation grown wood. Certainly many Rosewoods available today are pretty tame looking...

It's possible that's the reason.  I agree that a lot of the EIR being used by all of the guitar manufacturers has become pretty unremarkable where the aesthetics are concerned...  Ovangkol too...  About the only wood in any of Taylor's standard, solid-wood guitar lines that still consistently has some visual appeal is Maple in the 600 Series.  It's also kind-of ironic to me that some of the nicer-looking woods I've seen in the past five years have been on the 200 Series laminates...

... Maybe you guys need to investigate Ziricote? Martin has done some fantastic figured backs with this wood...

I've seen a couple of Taylors done in Ziricote.  If I'm not mistaken, Taylor did at least one limited edition using that wood; certainly I've seen a BTO or two in that wood.  From what I understand, though, Ziricote can be difficult to work with -- which may be why it's not used too often.

All good points Tim. Even with the upgrade, it's a matter of what's available at the time. While I love the look of My K24, I would say that its koa does not have the figure that was almost common back in the 90s.

The top used on mine was considered master grade at the time, used because Taylor had botched a custom build in my last attempt.

akokie

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 08:49:16 PM »
How about an update now that you’ve lived with it for a couple of weeks.

Well, I've been playing it almost daily- usually for about an hour or so.  I can't say that my original assessment has changed all that much.  It's amazingly easy to play, sounds good, and (to me) looks good.  If I had the power to change anything on it, I would like a little more punch on the bottom end- but perhaps this koa tonewood will open up a little more.  Who knows.  I have been blessed with an incredible HD-28 LSH that, if anything, has TOO much bass.  So I could be biased.

Regarding tone blossom, mine was fantastic out of the box (upgraded to Adi bracing), and its tone has matured into a sweet, balanced sound that grabs me every time I play it. As compared with my other Taylors (limiteds and custom builds), she holds her own quite nicely. Just my $.02
exactly what I'm hoping for!

Oh, some of the tops on the GS Mini Koa models have been rather striking; but I concluded that was simply a result of using wood pieces that were too small for the Koa Series.  True to their business model, Taylor found a use for that wood rather than simply discarding it.
I like and appreciate a beautiful guitar as much as anyone (and more than most).  But I absolutely love this philosophy from Taylor.  To me, this is a tradeoff I'll gladly make every time.

And that is a stunning looking instrument.  Mine is a 3 piece back that I don't love aesthetically, but it is what it is. I haven't seen any other k14ce BE's that are 3 piece backs- they all seem to be bookmatched 2 pieced- which I would have preferred.  But like I said, I appreciate the fact that they are using their wood responsibly. 

And my eyeballs are in my head- not on my stomach.  And my earballs think it sounds amazing.

quake17

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 12:29:22 AM »
Akokie,

I just received my K14ce yesterday and am enjoying it quite a bit! Mine also has a three piece back. It is definitely flamed but kind of subdued with the finish. My guess is they can stretch their supplies of koa with the three pieces.

ClassicRock

3 pc backs
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 07:55:22 AM »
Glad you guys are enjoying your BEs. I’ve test driven one 3 times now and have been impressed as I have with the V-Class 514ce with cedar top.

I find it interesting to see how Taylor addresses these spec issues vs Martin which I know better.

Taylor lists in their specs a 2 or 3 piece back. So, if you’re buying sight unseen, you can expect either although I suspect most of them will be 3 pc for the time being. As you may know, Taylor has announced they are sold out on Koa for 2018 and stopped taking orders on June 8 with the exception that they reserved enough material for 200 additional flagship BE models. The 3 pc back makes sense under these conditions.

Martin, on the other hand, has without comment begun using necks with headstock ears or wings so that they can buy cheaper and more plentiful 12/3 stock instead of 12/4s. These are used on all standard production guitars with perhaps the exception of the 40’s stuff. I’ve certainly seen it as commonplace on their standard series. You can only see it on the back of the headstock as the front is covered with a plate but IMHO, it looks terrible and cheapens the product, not to mention the fact that the end user is unaware of this change in construction practice. Check any Martin with a serial number beginning 217... They are also using a two piece lengthwise construction on their Sinkers. Check the latest Gruhn Sinker inventory. They play word games with wood such as “genuine” or “select” or even “select hardwood” which throws the doors open to anything. I find this to be disingenuous and damaging to the brand when the specs still call for “solid mahogany”.  This is one of the primary reasons I opened up to looking at Taylors.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:08:16 AM by ClassicRock »

akokie

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 01:12:24 PM »
Akokie,

I just received my K14ce yesterday and am enjoying it quite a bit! Mine also has a three piece back. It is definitely flamed but kind of subdued with the finish. My guess is they can stretch their supplies of koa with the three pieces.
congrats! can you show a pic of the back?  I'm interested to see how it compares to mine.

quake17

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 03:16:00 AM »
Here is the pic of the back from Sweetwater. I'm really enjoying it 6 days in! Sorry about the size as I'm not sure how to edit.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:19:20 AM by quake17 »

akokie

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
Here is the pic of the back from Sweetwater.

Yeah- this one looks really good.  beautiful selection of wood there.

Mr.Toad

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 03:10:12 PM »
I picked up one of these a few days ago. Two local dealers had them, one was a three piece back and the other a two piece - I bought the one with the two piece back:

ClassicRock

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »
Welcome, Toad. Great choice. I think these first BEs are fantastic guitars that will be very desirable going forward.

Capedbaldy

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
Nice, Toad! That’s a beauty. It’s awesome that you were able to choose between a 2-piece and 3-piece back.