Author Topic: Your string of choice?  (Read 19057 times)

Terry

Re: Your string of choice?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »
Everytime I stray from Elixers (with the exception of my LKSM) my Taylors don't sound like Taylors.  Although, some of the suggestions here sound interesting and worth a try.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions,
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

forhim

• With All Our Might
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »
I am 100% a fan of DR Dragon Skin strings.  I was turned on to them and really enjoy the sound.

Elderly and Strings and Beyond have great deals on them!

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 11:31:23 AM »
I use the Elixir 80/20s light gauge for my GA's. I tried the Polywebs which warmed up the tone too much plus over time the coating started to pill. Those reminded me of ladies stockings with the coating going over the surface of the strings. I also tried the Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings, but they were stiffer and thus almost seemed like a slightly larger gauge. The tone warmed up quite a bit and the volume increased some, but I prefer the 80/20s.

I have heard a lot of people say they thin they PB's feel stiffer than the 80/20's.  I have never used 80/20's but I might just have to break down and try a t set.  Did you ever have any on the 614ce before you sold it?  If so, what were your thoughts?
No, I only ever used 80/20s on it. I used the phosphor bronze on my 914ce engelmann spruce, and the tone warmed up considerably. I don't like the sound of them on it though nearly as much as I liked the 80/20s.

All you can do is to give it a try to see if you like it or not.
Cindy

Kingby

• Newfoundland, Canada
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
Just switched from Nano 80/20 Mediums to Nano PB Mediums on my Coco.  Didn't notice a huge change.  I played for years with Nano PB lights on my Yamaha and whatever cheap house brand strings on my Les Paul (recently switched to elixers there as well).

I am really liking the mediums after years of lights and electric strings. I can use a little hand energy to make the sounds I want.   I have big mitts so when switching back to my other guitars, I have be careful to not overbend notes on the lighter gauges (It is really difficult on electric....until I play a few minutes, everything sounds out of tune with sharp notes from fretting too hard and overbending on notes...its ugly for a bit...learning to relax).
2011 Fall LTD - Cocobolo GS
Yamaha FG430A
Gibson Les Paul Standard - LightBurst

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
Well, I only use the Elixir's so far and like them.  The strings on guitars in the shops are usually so old and as I'm not going to purchase anything I'm reluctant to ask them to change them.  I played a 700 series the other day BC everyone says such good things about it and while I did like the guitar the strings were so old and cruddy (ewwww) that it really didn't show the guitar at it's best.

On another string-related note - when you all change the strings do you remove them all or do like one or two at a time?

I have read thoughts on both.  The Taylor guidelines say to remove all the strings at once, I'm not sure what to do as I have read the neck should stay under tension and by removing all the strings it could damage it - although if Taylor says remove all then it must be so.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 07:28:34 PM »
There really is no rationale with keeping tension on the neck while doing a string change, nor is there any compelling reason to remove them all at once.  Necks are pretty stable things (so long as you don't take wire cutters and whack off the strings under full tension!!), and doing either is fine.

My guess is folks do the "all strings off" for purposes of cleaning the fretboard.  I personally prefer to do one at a time, simply because it keeps me focused (adult-onset ADD ;) ), and I can bring the new strings up to pitch as I go.  This is my "method," but either way is perfectly good.

Edward

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 11:02:58 PM »
I use DR Rares on my 814, and the bottom end just leaps out of the guitar.  Fabulous strings.

I use Elixir Nanoweb on my 814.  I think I will purchase a set of DR Rares the next time and see what happens.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 08:08:58 PM »
I have heard a lot of people say they thin they PB's feel stiffer than the 80/20's.  I have never used 80/20's but I might just have to break down and try a t set.  Did you ever have any on the 614ce before you sold it?  If so, what were your thoughts?
PB strings are typically higher tension than 80/20 when tuned to concert pitch (Standard A 440) -
there is a string tension chart avalable at d'addario's website that shows the differences (slight)

elixir strings are touted to be 'low tension' on their 80/20 (unsure on their PBs),
although i have not been able to find individual string tension ratings yet

other 'lower tension' strings are DR (Extra, Rare & roundcore Sunbeam) & Martin Flex-cores -
if the action feels 'stiff', i would suggest checking the neck relief (.010") if it is adequate,
i would check the action at the nut (.020" at the 1st fret when fretted at the 2nd fret)

good question & a perfectly valid one - thanks for posting it

new strings come out quite frrequently - it'd make a good 'stickie', imho
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:06:38 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

DMBfan41

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 08:53:39 PM »
Elixir 80/20 Nano lights here for both Taylors.

I put Elixir PB lights on my Martin OMC and totally love the sound.  Considering trying the PBs on my next 414 string change but haven't settled on that decision yet.

Several months back I tried 80/20 poly on my 214.  Tone loss seemed to take place within a few short weeks and I really didn't care for the string shedding above the sound hole.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
Well, my Elixir Nanoweb PB mediums were far from wearing out, but I figure if I wait until they're dead, any new string will sound 'good' and it won't be an accurate comparison. 
So, last night I pulled them off of my GSLJ (think 610) and put on the uncoated John Pearse medium PB's. 

First impression, much warmer, less thump at the bottom, highs less sparkly.  More balanced all around, not sure if that's a good thing yet.  If the baby goes to sleep (or at least settles down enough to hang out in the bouncy saucer) I'm going to play some more tonight and see what I think.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

sthompson

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »

It seems like I have tried every acoustic string known to man, but I always
seemed to bring each guitar back to Elixir nanos.  Either Phosphor Bronze
or 80/20's, all depending on the individual guitar.  Granted, it may be my
unsophisticated ear, I'll give you that, but it's what makes me the happiest.
st
R.Taylor & Taylor, Goodall, Bourgeois, and Collings.
If only my skills were as sweet...

darylcrisp

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 12:26:09 AM »
i like how nanowebs sound on a taylor-and the feel. i tend to go uncoated though, and as i do not have body chemistry issues with non-coated, they tend to last long.

i've tried daddario's but for whatever reason don't care for those on my taylors. DR Rares are nice.

lately i've been sticking Martin SP 80/20 on everything and i have to say everything in the house is sounding pretty darn good. I intend to try SP phos/bronze next, and some John Pearse-just to see what tickles my fancy.

d

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 03:20:38 AM »
When I first got the Taylor I put on some Nano PB lights but just couldn't get along with them, they seemed very slinky and I struggled to finger the strings properly. I eventually replaced them with Nano 80/20 lights and find them much more playable.

On my Yamahas I've experimented with other strings, D'ddarrio, Ernie Ball and even some Newtones (trying to and support a UK maufacturer), but so far I've always come back to Yamaha FS50BT strings (which seem similar to Nano 80/20s, except the guage on the 3rd and 6th strings are different).
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

Polka Dot

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 03:20:58 AM »
I only ever used D'addario's previously, just because we don't get a lot of string choices here in SA and they were the most readily available in music stores. Since getting my Taylor over a year ago, I've been importing a number of different strings to try out. So far, I've found the D'addario strings don't work that well with my guitar for the sound I like, neither do Elixir Polywebs. Nanowebs however are quite nice, so are DR Sunbeams, but the cream of the crop thus far are DR Rare 13-56. I can't wait to try out DR Dragonskins!
Taylor 410CE
Takamine EAN45C
1979 Juan Alvarez Classical - Sold!
Landola AC200
Jasmine ES49C
Homemade Strat with Tonerider Pickups

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 08:52:45 AM »
There really is no rationale with keeping tension on the neck while doing a string change, ...
Edward

For guitars with an under saddle piezo pickup, it is safest to not remove all of the strings at once so that the pickup does not get disturbed.  Not that it can't be done, but if the pickup is working well, why disturb it?

I use Elixir PB Nanos on all my guitars.  Every time I stray, I just hate the left hand finger squeak of non-coated strings.  I'm in the middle of trying some DR Rares on my 814ce because of the reported lower tension, but I can't stand the squeak.  I'm going to try the Dragonskins next.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:55:29 AM by cjd-player »
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw