Author Topic: Greetings from the upper midwest  (Read 1904 times)

thin.coyote

Greetings from the upper midwest
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:12:41 PM »
Hi there!  I'm mostly a lurker but I thought I should say hello.  I am just a self-taught beginner (just finished book 1 of the Hal Leonard guitar method; I grew up playing strings so I remembered things about reading music etc.) and I am having a lot of fun.  I started with a Yamaha dreadnought but eventually figured out it was too big for me.  After doing a lot of forum research and many hours in the guitar store I ended up with a Breedlove Passport C250 CMe (full-sized) and I like the tone and size.  I have now figured out that I would prefer a 1 3/4" neck and I really like the Taylor neck feel and the quality up and down the line; I think near the end of this year I can swing something on the order of a GC4 (bright looking pretty guitar with a slightly shorter scale) without angering my wife.  :)
-Jim

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Greetings from the upper midwest
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:59:07 PM »
Glad to have you here Jim!  Welcome and please make yourself at home!   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:42 PM »
Hi Jim and welcome to the forum! :) One advantage of learning music is that a lot of the knowledge can be applied to other instruments. A GC4 is a great guitar...I've thought about getting one of those in the past but wound up with a GA4 instead. Nice to meet you and look forward to hearing more from you! :D
Cindy

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »
Hello thin.coyote,

Glad you signed on.  Taylors are wonderful guitars as are the people behind them.  I don't think you can go wrong with a GC4 and your wife will love listening to you play and sing for her.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:05:28 AM »
Hi Jim - so glad you're here :) Researching the guitar you want and evaluating them is half the fun so enjoy your journey towards selecting your Taylor - be it a GC4 or others. Just out of curiousity, how did you select your name? Ironically, I saw my first coyote here in Michigan last week. I've heard they were around for years, but it was sitting along the road watching me go by.
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

thin.coyote

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
Hi John, thanks everybody! 
My wife thinks I look like a thin coyote.  :)  Also, I am a fan of Wile E and other Coyotes.  We have a few coyotes here in southern Wisconsin but I almost never see them.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
Hi John, thanks everybody! 
My wife thinks I look like a thin coyote.  :)  Also, I am a fan of Wile E and other Coyotes.  We have a few coyotes here in southern Wisconsin but I almost never see them.

That's because they're all up here in MN.  They're killing livestock and driving out other predators such as the fox.   >:(  I'm in SE MN and I see one just about every week, and I'm a townie!

Welcome to the forum!
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.