Author Topic: Annoying sounding open G string  (Read 661 times)

Airborne

Annoying sounding open G string
« on: March 08, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
When playing open chords such as G7, the open G string vibrates, resonates to the point of substantial annoyance. I am playing a GS Mini Hog. I’ll soon be 69 years of age with hearing loss and terrible tinnitus. Could those issues be the cause of the awful sounding open G string? Thanks for any input.

Bill

Mark Stone

• Littledog Music
    • Littledog Music
Re: Annoying sounding open G string
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 01:17:46 AM »
When playing open chords such as G7, the open G string vibrates, resonates to the point of substantial annoyance. I am playing a GS Mini Hog. I’ll soon be 69 years of age with hearing loss and terrible tinnitus. Could those issues be the cause of the awful sounding open G string? Thanks for any input.

Bill
Hi Bill,

This is really common on many guitars, experienced by many guitarists - the G string just sounds dominant or weird or something. It's really irritating. I don't know what causes it, (perhaps an expert is reading that can explain it to us!) but be assured, you are not alone. I've experienced this on every steel string guitar I've ever owned, even my current Taylor, and I've learned to just ignore it. Or try. I don't think it is age or hearing loss is the cause - it was bugging me on my first Gibson B-25 in 1971!  ;D
2015 Taylor 110e (ES2)
1977 Kazuo Yairi Conquistador (Classical)
https://litledog.blogspot.com/p/introduction_26.html