Author Topic: What attracted you to Taylor?  (Read 12445 times)

taylorgtr

Re: What attracted you to Taylor?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 06:25:18 PM »
I got my first Taylor in '98 or '99 (and still have it). I started out on a "Fame" Martin OM copy that had a holy single-coil pickup and volume and 'tone' knobs drilled through the plywood top. It played like barbed wire, but it was my first guitar. Upgraded to a Ventura Japanese D-41 copy that was actually pretty good - solid top, decent build....kept me going until I got an Ovation in '83. Had that until I could afford a really nice guitar - played lots of Martins, and couldn't find one that I liked. Sales guy handed me a 514ce that played like butter - I sounded better on that particular guitar...and because I sounded better, I played more.

I've had that guitar ever since.

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 07:25:02 PM »
Looking for a 12-string I "ran into" the AGF, where Edward was selling his 655ce 'cause he'd just bought an R. Taylor 12 string.

Although I eventually sold that one, I now have a 562ce and a Custom 12 fret GC (an all mahogany precursor to the now standard 522c). Also just sold a GS Mini-M that I wasn't playing anymore. So I'm now 2-Taylors, 1-Martin, 1-McIlroy, 1-Cordoba and (for sale) 1-Lowden.

By the numbers, Taylor is my favorite!
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Mark Stone

• Littledog Music
    • Littledog Music
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 09:16:36 PM »
Looking for a 12-string I "ran into" the AGF, where Edward was selling his 655ce 'cause he'd just bought an R. Taylor 12 string.

Although I eventually sold that one, I now have a 562ce and a Custom 12 fret GC (an all mahogany precursor to the now standard 522c). Also just sold a GS Mini-M that I wasn't playing anymore. So I'm now 2-Taylors, 1-Martin, 1-McIlroy, 1-Cordoba and (for sale) 1-Lowden.

Hey there Marty - Good to "see" you! Been a while . . . .
2015 Taylor 110e (ES2)
1977 Kazuo Yairi Conquistador (Classical)
https://litledog.blogspot.com/p/introduction_26.html

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 09:26:40 PM »

Hey there Marty - Good to "see" you! Been a while . . . .

Well, you know, spend most of my time on the "other side".... :o Keepin' 'em in line.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 08:25:47 PM »
...So what's your story?

First off, welcome to the UTGF, the friendliest forum on the net.

As to what attracted me to Taylor, I've told the tory elsewhere, maybe even here before, but here it is. About 20 r so years ago I decided to liquidate my guitars, a dozen electrics and one cheap acoustic, since I haven't played them in a few years. Helene really didn't want to see the guitars go, so she hired an instructor to come by once a week to teach me some new tricks, and maybe get me excited about the guitar again. I decided I would use those lessons to get more comfortable playing acoustics, maybe even get better at finger style, and since my garage sale find Yasmin wasn't the easiest guitar to play, nor did I enjoy the tone, of to GC I went to buy a Martin D-28. The kid working the acoustic room was actually quite knowledgeable and suggested I try a Taylor for the intended task. After playing everything south of 5K I fell in love with the Taylor 714ce, which was Rosewood Cedar back then. Since Christmas was but a few weeks away I was under orders not to buy anything for myself, so I took the kids card and assured him he would get the sale one way or the other. A few weeks later there was a brand new Taylor 714ce under the tree.

That Taylor led me to start collecting, which led to our guitar business a few years later. Although I own a lot of nice guitars, that Taylor 714ce will always be a keeper.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 08:43:58 PM »
As to what attracted me to Taylor, I've told the tory elsewhere, maybe even here before, but here it is. About 20 r so years ago I decided to liquidate my guitars, a dozen electrics and one cheap acoustic, since I haven't played them in a few years. Helene really didn't want to see the guitars go, so she hired an instructor to come by once a week to teach me some new tricks, and maybe get me excited about the guitar again. I decided I would use those lessons to get more comfortable playing acoustics, maybe even get better at finger style, and since my garage sale find Yasmin wasn't the easiest guitar to play, nor did I enjoy the tone, of to GC I went to buy a Martin D-28. The kid working the acoustic room was actually quite knowledgeable and suggested I try a Taylor for the intended task. After playing everything south of 5K I fell in love with the Taylor 714ce, which was Rosewood Cedar back then. Since Christmas was but a few weeks away I was under orders not to buy anything for myself, so I took the kids card and assured him he would get the sale one way or the other. A few weeks later there was a brand new Taylor 714ce under the tree.

That Taylor led me to start collecting, which led to our guitar business a few years later. Although I own a lot of nice guitars, that Taylor 714ce will always be a keeper.
Nice story, Ted, thanks for sharing.

That Taylor led me to start collecting, which led to our guitar business a few years later.
See timfitz63, this could be you!  ;D
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »
That Taylor led me to start collecting, which led to our guitar business a few years later.

See timfitz63, this could be you!  ;D

Tempting, I'll admit...  I wonder how much capital one needs to start such a business...?
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 09:47:26 PM »
Tim that opens up a whole big can of worms, and it needs a business planner. 
A store might need 124K to 1125K just for guitars.
Just one 1924 Lloyd Lore Gibson mandolin - 75K to 125K for one.
I marvel at the inventory of Carters vintage in TN, that's where I pull 1125K out the air.I would not be surprised that it could be higher.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:53:18 PM by MGap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Mark Stone

• Littledog Music
    • Littledog Music
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »
...So what's your story?

First off, welcome to the UTGF, the friendliest forum on the net.
Thanks Ted, I hadn't realized you were here. As I said to Marty, good to "see" you - I haven't been on the other forum in some time.

Great narrative!
2015 Taylor 110e (ES2)

woodnut

• Veteran Member
    • My Pictures
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 11:15:55 PM »
Being a San Diego native I had run across former/layed off Taylor employees in a couple El Cajon Cabinet shops in the early 1980's so I was familiar with the brand, before I ever picked up a guitar.
We had to bring them down to ground level as cabinet shops do things differently than guitar shops.

One day a friend and I (another Cabinetmaker) were in a Guitar Center trying out guitars.
I picked up a GS Mini Sapele thinking it was one of those plastic laminate guitars to show my friend.
We started playing around with it and we were hooked.
The next day I went back and bought that very guitar.
A couple years later I sold it to my friend since he won't buy anything new and it has to be a deal.
No biggie since I still have a Koa & Rosewood Mini.

Unlike most, I'm very satisfied with only 3 guitars, especially since Taylor hit it out of the park with my custom 12 fret Ovangkol.
We visited the Taylor El Cajon factory in 2014 and we were extremely impressed with the way they manufacture guitars.
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini koa
Fall Limited Taylor GS Mini Rosewood
Custom Taylor 412ce 12 fret Ovankol with Koa bindings

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 12:48:20 AM »
Tim that opens up a whole big can of worms, and it needs a business planner. 
A store might need 124K to 1125K just for guitars.
Just one 1924 Lloyd Lore Gibson mandolin - 75K to 125K for one.
I marvel at the inventory of Carters vintage in TN, that's where I pull 1125K out the air.I would not be surprised that it could be higher.

Yeah, I suspected as much...  I guess the dream is still free, though... ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

KM Frye

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 03:55:05 AM »
Essentially, the T5 was what led me to Taylor.

I spent more than twenty years on and off as part of a Celtic-Canadian folk group and while I mostly played acoustic 12-strings during those shows, certain songs just sounded better with different guitars. One thing lead to another and eventually, I was hauling two 12s (one as a backup), a 6-string acoustic and an electric (either a Strat and an Ibanez T300) around the West Coast. I know plenty of other performers who use more than three guitars every night, but still, I wanted to try and find a versatile instrument that would allow me to cut back on the number of guitar cases in the back of my car every weekend.
But it had to be good at both. I tried an Ovation, it was very nice, but didn't completely eliminate the need for the full-on electric "squawk" I needed about three times a night, so it went back where it came from.

One day my dealer happened to get a used early T5 in. It was already spoken for when I laid eyes on it, but he let me play with it for a half hour or so... It came very very close.

A few years later I was at NAMM and played a newer T5. Now I was sold. All I had to do was assemble enough money and make the deal. 

Until I ran headlong into a T5Z on a cruise ship in 2014.   THAT fit like a glove. It had the sounds I wanted, the neck was nigh on to perfection for my stubby hands, and the acoustic sound through the performers amp was nearly the same as my jumbo Takamine 6!

That was how I came to Taylor.   Now my T5z is my current favorite "noodler". My near-permanent practice instrument and No1 couch guitar. Even the mighty Rickenbacker sits on its stand, largely lonely in the dark.

Kevin Frye
Composer, conductor, player

Taylor T5Z
Rickenbacker 370/12
Gretsch 6122 CG
Fender FJ
Beaver Creek classical parlor guitar

Mark Stone

• Littledog Music
    • Littledog Music
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 09:24:44 AM »
OP here - Adding a thought to why Taylor is attractive to me.

Most big guitar makers have lower-end lines, which is perfectly OK. Gibson sells Korean or Indonesian made Epiphones, Martin has a line of lower-zoot instruments from Mexico, etc. It's interesting to me that even the least expensive Taylor guitars, if looked at objectively, are instruments that can be considered high end. The Academy series? Solid Sitka tops, full size (with shorter scale length), excellent build. If the Academy series were sold by Gibson they would be priced in the J-15 or J-29 range between $1500 and 2K. It seems like every guitar made by Taylor, when looked at on its own merits, can be considered pro level. Obviously I can attest to that because my "modest" 110e holds its own against any of the Gibson acoustics I've owned in my long life, at a fraction of the cost. Bottom line? Taylor offers excellent quality and professional level instruments from the top to the very bottom of their line - not many other companies can say that.
2015 Taylor 110e (ES2)

Gerin

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 12:34:39 PM »
For me I have been playing for about 30 years now.  However I did have a few years of break time thanks to a messed up wrist issue.  In that time I had let my go to acoustic(Tacoma Chieftain) fall into destruction thanks to stupidity on my part.  I found out the hard way that repairs would cost more than the guitar is worth and made the choice to let it go.  So off to the store I went with no preconceptions.

I took about 30 hours of messing about... never looked at specs or how the guitar looked.  I simply based my decision on nothing more than feel and tone.  I still love how some of the Martins sounded but darn they feel like crap to me.  Tried tons of other brands... low and high priced.  Then came the 1st Edition 612CE.  Instant addict is a good term.  Next came the 916CE.  I love how the two acoustics are total opposites in sound quality.  However both play and feel so close, even with the body size difference.  Now I am dying to try out the new V bracing...... good thing I have some self control or I would be living in a guitar case.  I still will not rest until I get a K24/26 with the new V bracing.

deepermagic

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »
Growing up in a family of guitar players Martin guitars were held in the highest esteem, but nobody owned one! We were a poor family of guitar players. ;) 

I learned to play on my mom's Ovation and my first acoustic guitar was a used Takamine. I didn't care what I played, so long as I could play. I'd purchased a few acoustic guitar magazines and so of course I'd heard of Taylor off and on, but just as another brand name of guitars that floated around. From then on, I was typically drawn to a guitar if I knew someone I enjoyed also played that brand of guitar. John Lennon played an Epiphone once so by golly I got an Epiphone replica. Same thing happened with Taylor. A certain singer/songwriter played (from all appearances) a 314ce and I love his music, so that was the first thing that drew me to Taylor. The clincher was actually hearing Taylors being played on stage. I recall vividly listening to someone play and thinking "Why doesn't my guitar sound that good? What's he playing? Oh, Taylor. Cool." From then on it was sort of a mission to own one.

Now when my extended family gets together to play, we still have the beater guitars, but (after years of saving!) we now have a couple Martins and a couple of Taylors. My Taylor gets plenty of "Hey, can I try that?" love.