Author Topic: Greetings from SW MO  (Read 3682 times)

DMBfan41

Greetings from SW MO
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »
Greetings guitar people!  33 y.o. music lover checking in.

In a galaxy far, far away, I took up the guitar as a more appropriate substitution to substance abuse after becoming a first time father in 2000.  This guitar was a Johnson Thinbody off eBay for less than $150.  I went down to the local shop, picked up a Mel Bay chord book and haven't looked back since.  Learning to play and finger chords on an instrument with excessively high action was a bittersweet blessing.  As I upgraded guitars over the years, my hands thanked me tremendously.

Fast forward a few years, I graduated to an Alvarez RD20SC.  Aside from a Big Baby, this was the only drednaught I would ever own.  I experimented with a Taylor NS for a while but didn't care for the lacking volume I experienced.  The single best purchase I've ever made on anything was the day I picked up my 414CE-L7.  Shortly thereafter, I had a chance to grab a plain jane 214 off craigslist pretty cheap. 

I cut my "learning guitar" teeth on 3 chord wonders, playing with a bunch of old dudes after work.  These weekend jam sessions helped me learn rhythm, chord changes, and volume control when playing with others.  This is when I fell in love with the likes of folk, oldies, acoustic blues, and "other music" that was literally 20-30 years older than I was.  I learned so much around this time and often feel I became more educated about music and life in that short time than I ever did in school or college.

My musical tastes range from innovators of the 50's to jam bands of the present.  A few years ago, I began to realize my guitar hobby would become more than just a hobby when I was called to become a worship leader in the church I attend.  Our music team at church consists of a female vocalist and 2 other acoustic guitarists.  Most times I will lead in the playing but also like to accompany the group on tambourine or cajon. 

A couple months ago, I reached yet another point in my playing where something needed to change.  My locally owned guitar shop has a guy that offers lessons on every instrument under the sun.  I decided I would take lessons.  The wife kinda felt it was a waste because I could already play.  The way I looked at it, I wanted more tools in my toolbox.  For 6 weeks I've been studying with this guy and it's totally been lightbulb moments from then on.  Scales take on a new meaning and I don't feel I'm confined to my own little box anymore.  Just when you think your spouse doesn't understand you, it's nice to be pleasantly surprised.  In a couple weeks, on Christmas day, I will open a '99 Fender classic 50's stratocaster, fittingly enough, done in surf green.  I've played it several times at the shop since I began improv lessons and apparently my wife talks to the shop guys because she already told me it's now mine.  Just have to wait.  Really excited to the see what electric playing does for me but will never stray from what I love most, my beautiful acoustic guitar.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Greetings from SW MO
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »
Chad, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your guitar playing journey! Thanks for sharing and please be sure to post pics of your new guitar after Christmas! Welcome to the forum. :)
Cindy

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »
Hello Chad and welcome to the house...

I too enjoyed reading your introduction.  I am happy that you have been blessed with a lovely family from what I read and that you have found music.  Having played a little when I was younger, I put the guitar aside for my career.  I did not realize what I was missing all those years until picking the guitar up again in 2003.  A guitar as well as other instruments can bring so much into one's life, it is hard to explain to those who do not have a desire/want to give music a shot, but it sounds as if you have found a wonderful way to share with others.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

DMBfan41

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
Much thanks for the kind words and welcome Cindy and barefooter.

I'll get around to sharing pics of my gits at some point.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »
Much thanks for the kind words and welcome Cindy and barefooter.

I'll get around to sharing pics of my gits at some point.

Nice to meet a fellow Missourian!  I live in the KC area!  Welcome!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

DMBfan41

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »

Nice to meet a fellow Missourian!  I live in the KC area!  Welcome!

Right on man!  I'll keep you in mind the next time I'm in the area.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »
hi Chad,

thank you so much for sharing your journey thus far -
i can relate a good bit, especially regarding the first guitar & being called
to serve at a church (i've played rhythm acoustic for the church i attended)

good to have you here &
i look forward to becoming better friends with you & everyone else here

WELCOME !
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

DMBfan41

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »
hi Chad,

thank you so much for sharing your journey thus far -
i can relate a good bit, especially regarding the first guitar & being called
to serve at a church (i've played rhythm acoustic for the church i attended)

good to have you here &
i look forward to becoming better friends with you & everyone else here

WELCOME !

Rock on Michael!  Looking forward to fruitful discussions with you and others as well!
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 01:41:05 AM »
Chad, I too really enjoyed your story and how you are continually growing as a guitarist. I think it's awesome how your wonderful wife has supported your interest and has arranged for your special Christmas present! I will look forward to those photos. Also, I have a friend who's good friends with Tim Reynolds. I'll PM you some info on that.
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce