Author Topic: Larrivée vs Taylor string gauge  (Read 2046 times)

sergeko

Larrivée vs Taylor string gauge
« on: January 25, 2018, 06:46:51 PM »
The Larrivée's OM and L models are often compared to the Taylor's GC and GA body shapes.
But since the Larrivée's are setup with D'Addario medium gauge strings, wouldn't it make more sense to compare them tonally with the GS body shape ?
Taylor 312ce 12-fret V-Class (2019)

robhanesworth

Re: Larrivée vs Taylor string gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 11:01:54 PM »
No, I don't think so. That is putting too much emphasis one one of many differences, string gage. You are also dealing with different string brands, Elixer versus D'Addario, different bracing styles, relief route versus non, etc.

sergeko

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:48:06 AM »
No, I don't think so. That is putting too much emphasis one one of many differences, string gage. You are also dealing with different string brands, Elixer versus D'Addario, different bracing styles, relief route versus non, etc.

Yes, the Larrivée is built for medium strings so the inner architecture of the guitar is bound to be be a lot different than a Taylor. But this makes it difficult to compare the two models.

robhanesworth

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »
Well, does one them sound better to you? Is one of them easier to play? Or more comfortable? These are factors that influence me, with a slight consideration for looks.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 03:45:21 PM »
From a size perspective, the OM/GC and the L/GA matchups are appropriate.  While I used light gauge strings on both my Larrivee L and OM, I personally gravitated towards the GA as a more comfortable, sweeter-sounding guitar. I do however prefer most OMs over the GC. I'm not a fan of the GS...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

sergeko

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 04:28:57 PM »
Well, does one them sound better to you? Is one of them easier to play? Or more comfortable? These are factors that influence me, with a slight consideration for looks.
I only played the Larrivee OM-03. I like the sound but I don't like the feel of medium strings.

sergeko

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »
From a size perspective, the OM/GC and the L/GA matchups are appropriate.  While I used light gauge strings on both my Larrivee L and OM, I personally gravitated towards the GA as a more comfortable, sweeter-sounding guitar. I do however prefer most OMs over the GC. I'm not a fan of the GS...
I adore the GA sound. I tested out many GC's but to my ears they sound too thin. The Larrivée OM-03 sounded very nice but the medium strings are not for me.
Maybe a 12-fret version of the GC might be the one, but unfortunately the stores in my area only have mahogany topped models.