Author Topic: Lefty T5z Always going sharp  (Read 1077 times)

tommyga1

Lefty T5z Always going sharp
« on: March 17, 2023, 02:29:07 AM »
Can anyone tell me if there are direct replacement, or "drop-in"Locking Tuners that will go on to my T5z?
 Thank you guys.
 Tommy

SDTaylorman

Re: Lefty T5z Always going sharp
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 07:37:54 AM »
These people will probably know:

https://www.taylorguitars.com/contact

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 09:21:37 PM »
Hey Tommy,

Tuning instability is almost never the fault of tuning machines.  And truly never the case when talking about any halfway decent tuners that aren't genuine junk from the cheapest of cheap guits.  Nothing of which I mention, of course, even comes remotely close to describing Taylor or the tuners they use.  So in a word, that ain't your issue.

Going sharp is almost always the fault of a nut with poorly cut or very worn slots.  Or perhaps of one using a heavier gauge string set that the nut was not  originally cut for.  Bottom line: the nut slots are "catching" the string (likely when you bend or strum/pluck hard) and preventing the string to relax back into its original tune.  So if you're looking to get locking tuners, go for it.  But if you're looking to simply fix the tuning instability, then a good tech can address the issue with the nut as this is routine work for a tech.  Just do your due diligence and get a truly good tech.

Edward

tommyga1

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 03:44:02 AM »
I get ya Ed.. I moved from NYC 11 months ago and am now living in Punta Gorda, Florida. I\lived in New York for 64 years, and knew ..and used some of the top guys there. The guitar techs down here are a joke. For instance, I got 2nd seat with the #2 Elvis in the South West..and I have to use a Jazz Box for the Scotty Moore/Early Elvis stuff, and for the Jump Suit/Vegas Shows, I have to (have to) use my LEFTY Fender Paisley Tele. Well, I got a nice set of Fender Nocaster Pickups for it 3 weeks ago, and brought it to "The Place" that a bunch of guys recommended in Port Charlotte. The guy charged me $255 to CHANGE THE PICKUPS!! And..the guitar wasn't even returned to me set-up nicely! If I knew how to solder..I'd have saved $255!
I don't know how or where I'm going to find a capable tech/luthier down here.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 04:47:47 PM »
Hey Tommy,

I feel ya, man!  It's a bit of a chore to find a good guitar tech, to be sure.  Post in thegearpage.net with your location and you'll get good recs, to be sure. 

Fwiw, doing anything with the electronics in a semi/full hollow is much more work than any solidbody.  I have personally swapped out pups twice in an old ibanez (think Gibs 175), and after the 2nd time (replete with choice language) I swore it'd be the last.  So when I had pots replaced in a 336, I so willingly paid my tech as a hollow is a hassle to wire, and so the charge is higher ...if that helps ease the sting anyway.  And you also have to remember that you ordered a pup-swap, toward which they will not ever alter the guit's setup.  So that's a diff job entirely that you have to specify.  Anyway, post on the TGP forum I had mentioned for a good tech to get that nut addressed and you won't be pulling sharp, I am sure.  I hope that helps you some! :)

Btw. you got some serious gigs there, kudos to you, man!

Edward

tommyga1

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 06:24:48 PM »
Ed..
what's your "handle" on TGP?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 12:12:13 PM »
Hey Tommy,