Author Topic: NGD!!! R Taylor Style 1 12-String  (Read 6196 times)

ColinWright

• Canapeel
NGD!!! R Taylor Style 1 12-String
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »
After about 85 days of waiting, my new R Taylor arrived last week.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to take any photos until this week, and I know that without photos, it didn't happen.  :-)

When the quiescing of R Taylor was announced in October, I knew I needed to order one while I still could.  I have a beautiful sinker-over-IER Syle 2, and knew how special the R Taylor build was.  I'd badly wanted a 12-string, and having played a few Taylor 12-strings at my local guitar store, I had a pretty good idea that an R Taylor 12-string would be out of this world.  And it is.  And who knows... it may be one of the last (maybe *the* last) 12-string to come off the line for R Taylor in 2011.

The best thing about this whole order was the way the dealer treated me though.  I've been tight with this dealership for not-quite-a-year, and have developed a good relationship with them.  I've had a couple of unexpected surgeries that have left me housebound (temporarily!) since about mid-December.  When the dealer's sales manager let me know it was here, he asked when it'd be ok with me to deliver the guitar to my home.  I was blown away.  The sales manager brought it out himself, carried it downstairs to my study, and listened while I played it.  ("Nights in White Satin" was it's first tune, BTW.)  He stuck around for about 45 minutes, answering my questions about the strings, tuning, etc.  I just can't imagine too many dealers that would make that kind of effort for one of their customers.  I'm still blown away by that kind of treatment.

For folks interested in the technical side of things...

- Sitka top
- Flame maple back and side, neck
- no cutaway
- Ebony fingerboard, binding, head, tuner buttons
- slim carve neck
- neck width 1-7/8"
- standard scale
- Jescar fret wires
- Camel bone pins

I've gotta say this is an amazing instrument.  It is, by far, the loudest guitar I think I've ever played.  That may be the result of having so many strings -- I'm kinda a novice on the 12-string side of things.  It's got a brassy sound, full of treble, yet still balanced with really nice lows, and so much cleaner sound than any of the other Taylors I own.  I'm flat-out blown away by this instrument.

I've heard folks say that Taylor 12-strings sound "jangly", and I can understand why folks might say that after having heard this one.  However, to me, it sounds like a calliope -- big notes, lots of simultaneous tones, and some incredible sustain.

OK.. enough writing... how 'bout a couple of photos?  BTW, the photo of the back looks like the halves aren't matched up colorwise... t'aint true!  Just an accidental (bad) trick of the lighting I used.  Definitely need to do a much better shoot on this instrument.

http://www.phydeaux-deauxmayne.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/20120115-1836.jpg

http://www.phydeaux-deauxmayne.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/20120115-1835.jpg
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:42:31 PM by michaelw »
Colin Wright

R Taylor: '11 Style 1 12-string (Sitka/Maple); '11 Style 2 (Sinker/EIR)
Taylor: '12 518e, '11 Koa GS-LTD, GS Mini (Spruce)
Other: '10 Carvin C350

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Re: NGD!!! R Taylor Style 1 12-String
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
What a beautiful 12 string!  Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

ColinWright

• Canapeel
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »
Thanks Gary!

She's amazing.  I still can't get over the difference in sound between this instrument and any of my 6-string Taylors.  Night and day.

Of course, this is my first blonde, so maybe that's it!  :-)
Colin Wright

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »
Ooooh yeah, a cousin geetar!!!

I have an 08 RT 12 string in spruce and flamed maple (honeyburst).  If I may share, I had a gorgeous 655CE with quilted b/s, just lovely.  But after the first chord of playing the RT (yes, literally the first chord), I knew I had to do something quick to get that guitar home (and yes, as nice as it was the 655 had to be moved for me to buy that RT).  RTs overall are that good IMHO, and their 12ers take the stellar play-quality of Taylor's 12 string guits and ramps it up with a build that adds a deep, resonant bottom end, individual note clarity, and volume to boot.  Not to mention the impeccable attention to all aesthetic aspects.  Amazing guitars, these, and I share your joy!!!

BTW, that's serious customer service from your dealer.  That's a level of service that is commensurate with Taylor; nice!  You may be doing him a favor if you gave him a shout out here.

Again, congrats on a superb guitar ...and for posting pics so we don't have to beg  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:41:28 PM by Edward »

andyi5

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »
Congrats Colin, another winner there! Nice and simple with the sitka/flamed maple... that abalone rosette stands out beautifully.

ColinWright

• Canapeel
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
@Edward -- I agree 100% with your analysis of the sound of the RT 12-string instruments.  You nailed what I'm hearing.

As for the dealer, I wasn't sure if it was ok to mention that on here, but it was Fazio's Frets and Friends near St. Louis (I live in the 'burbs of STL).  When I decided to get my first R Taylor last summer, that same sales manager (Bryan R) spent about 6-8 hours with me across several sessions to understand what wood differences my ears could ear, what tonal qualities I preferred, and make sure that the fit of the body size and scale were what I wanted.  He definitely got that when you're buying an RT, you wanted to have no regrets on the back end of the process.  Definitely an outstanding relationship with me, and unless there was something just amazing out there, I can't imagine going someplace else for my guitar needs.

@andyi5 -- Simple was exactly where I wanted to go with this.  In fact, when I ordered it, I kinda had a "tuxedo" in mind, basic black and white.  And I agree about the rosette.  It almost looks like every color in the spectrum is in there!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:46:02 AM by UTGF-Team »
Colin Wright

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »
Congratulations on a beautiful guitar! Play it well and enjoy it more!!!

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:04:42 PM »
Amazing choice of guitars, and nice choice for its first song!
I bet NIWS sounds fantastic on a 12'er.
 8)
-K
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:44:44 PM by not darth »
Member #34
I'm not darth.

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:45:12 PM »
Colin - beautiful dream guitar! I am a maple lover and am currently coveting a 12 string, so you've got something super special there. Love the tiger-striping on the neck - really cool feature. All I can say is congratulations on owning such a fine instrument.!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:47:44 AM by John429 »
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:30:48 AM »
Gorgeous.. agreed, that neck is especially spectacular..
I also got an RT order in just before they stopped taking them in October, and now am even more excited for it come in!

ColinWright

• Canapeel
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
@not darth -- Yep, NIWS is *amazing* on a 12-string.  This instrument delivers so much depth and sustain, which is exactly what that tune demands.

@John429 -- This is my first 12-string, and first maple guitar of any kind.  I am really, really impressed with it.  I don't know if it's "better" than any other instrument I own, but like all the rest, it has it's own voice, and is definitely a powerhouse!  Frankly, if this is the way a 12-string maple delivers, you'll be way happy with that combination.

@davwir -- Congrats on your RT order!  Based on my order date, I'd bet yours will be coming soon.  Looking at my notes, it looks like I gave the nod to my dealer on October 19th, if that helps with any guesses about your delivery date.
Colin Wright

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:56:52 PM »
hi Colin,
congrats on the RTS 1-12 maple :D

thanks for sharing (pics too) & contrary to popular belief,
this is not  a 'it didn't happen if there are no pics' zone :)

the natural finish flamed maple looks great, along
with the figured neck & all those little Gotoh tuners

also, i've seen some great videos on the 'triple F' website -
i especially like the GS Mini/110 & the 316ce clips ... very  8)

i wish you a speedy, full & complete recovery -
i can sympathize, in a way, as my sister had to have surgery done on her foot
early this year & she will also be housebound for a least another good month

take care, have fun & play on ;D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 02:42:29 AM »

@davwir -- Congrats on your RT order!  Based on my order date, I'd bet yours will be coming soon.  Looking at my notes, it looks like I gave the nod to my dealer on October 19th, if that helps with any guesses about your delivery date.

I got my order in October 20th, so yeah, it has to be near done, if not just waiting to ship..
They actually called me over a month ago with a question, and were applying the Burst at the time..
But they closed down for 2 weeks during the holidays, and now NAMM is in session..
Im guessing likely with a week or two at the most..
Then Ill work on getting my NGD post up here!

Congrats again on your awesome new 12 String!

darylcrisp

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 02:52:31 AM »
Colin

congrats on a beautiful guitar.

any chance you would give us a short take of what you used in capturing the pictures(lighting and such)-very classy pictures taken.

d

Bill R

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 06:51:57 AM »
Colin,
I'm envious - wish I had an RT 12-string too.  Congrats on the new guitar - enjoy!!!!!  Wishing you a speedy recovery...
Bill
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO