Author Topic: Headstock Veneer on 814ce  (Read 1758 times)

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
Headstock Veneer on 814ce
« on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »
I always preferred a glossy headstock over a satin fiished headstock. As much as I like my new 814ce, I wish it had a nice glossy finished headstock to match the rest of the finish. I notice that some other models have a gloss finish on the headstock - why not the 814? The only benefit is that it doesn't scratch easily.

On the other hand, I love the maple bindings!

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

darylcrisp

Re: Headstock Veneer on 814ce
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »
you know Jim, thats an excellent question and i'm glad you asked it.

i've had a dozen taylors or so in the past-most of them in the 5 series and up. i've often wondered why the 814 does not have that gloss-its a top end model and it would definitely class it out IMO.

i like satin finishes a lot, and neither satin or gloss will enter into me purchasing/not purchasing a guitar. but those gloss finished headstocks(and IMO the glossed backstrap) made a huge statement.

i'm sure it has to do with production, time, and not so much $ as i wouldn't think it costs that much in raw material(finish) to complete.

(your  up Brian)

d

Iplay2

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »
I always preferred a glossy headstock over a satin fiished headstock. As much as I like my new 814ce, I wish it had a nice glossy finished headstock to match the rest of the finish. I notice that some other models have a gloss finish on the headstock - why not the 814? The only benefit is that it doesn't scratch easily.

Jim

When you decide to put some Gotoh's on your 814ce, just give the headstock a nice polish when you take the old tuners off and all will be well. 

I do love the way Taylor does their polished ebony headstocks.  They are beautiful.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:08:57 AM »

Jim

When you decide to put some Gotoh's on your 814ce, just give the headstock a nice polish when you take the old tuners off and all will be well. 

I do love the way Taylor does their polished ebony headstocks.  They are beautiful.

Do you think that changing to the Gotoh's make that much of a difference? Is it an easy swap from the Taylor tuners?

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Roseadi

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Biker,

IMO the Gotohs are worth the money and effort. Both of my guitars have Gotoh 510's. My Lowden came with the standard 18:1 ratios. I changed my 714 Taylor from the standard Taylors to the 510 Delta series 21:1 ratio. My preference is the Deltas but if you change tunings a lot, the extra turns may not be for you. Both models are outstanding!

As for the difficulty to change your tuners out, and a review, (like you need another review on these!) follow the link below describing the process I used when changing out the stock Taylors. Pictorial included.

Hope that helps.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143697
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen