Author Topic: Comments on Adi tops  (Read 6787 times)

ggj

Comments on Adi tops
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
I'm considering an Adi top with Rosewood body in a GS class.  I've been told that Adi tops take a long time (20 years plus)  to really open up and come into their own. Candidly, I'm too old for that.  Does anyone have any comments on their experience with the sound/tone/volume of Adi tops in the near to mid term?  Thanks for any input.
GGJ

Living in the light of God's presence
________

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
Re: Comments on Adi tops
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »
Can't speak to the Taylor ADI tops, but my 6 months old Eastman E10-OM ADI/Mahogany doesn't need any more opening up. It's got a whopper of a sound right now. If it opens up any more I'll have to put a muffler on it.

Gary
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old

darylcrisp

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
play it regular and you should hear changes in 6 months or so. after 2-3 years(played regular) it will come into its own even better.

it would always have to impress me from the start though, i personally never ever purchase a guitar based on what it might become.

here's the deal if its still available-if i had the $ right this minute i would pick this up in a hurry:
http://www.guitarrodeo.com/taylor_detail.php?guitar=U-GSCust.0729.140&series=PP

d

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:24:19 PM »
I can't place any stock in what anything may sound like down the road ...I don't roll those dice.  But what I can tell you from the two Adi-topped at a road show and the one RT Adi I had played is that they sound big!  Yes, this ain't just "spruce" but spruce with extra horsepower.  Even for the short time these three were in my hands, I could easily tell that the adi top made a difference in these guits: volume, girth, more "guts" for lack of a better descriptor.  But as always with all things tone, your mileage may vary...

FWIW, the three I happened to play were GA or GS sized, but I would be curious if Adi supercharges a small body, as well.   And given RT's extra sonic prowess, I wonder what a Style2 (GC) with Adi/RW would sound like ...mmmm.

Edward

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
I agree that you should buy a guitar based upon how it sounds now. That's one of the reasons that I like Addi. It has a big sound right away and will keep getting better. It has lots of volume and head room. right out of the gate.

I have never heard that it takes that long for an Addi top to open up. Sounds a little like a guitar urban myth. By the way, did you know that the Addi used on Taylors is from old growth red spruce trees planted by Billy Addiseed, a disgruntled Martin employee who hiked from Nazereth to San Diego in 1843?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:20:02 PM by Tammany Tiger »

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:27:41 PM »
By the way, did you know that the Addi used on Taylors is from old growth red spruce trees planted by Billy Addiseed, a disgruntled Martin employee who hiked from Nazereth to San Diego in 1843?
Gosh, I did not know that!

I'm gonna go add that little fact to Wikipedia and repeat it all over the 'net. ;)
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
I have seen a lot of Taylor Adi top guitars and I love them. Yes, they take a long time to fully open up, but they have more character right off the bat too. I admit to being old school and looks are not the most important attribute in a guitar in my world. If you want pretty, don't go Adi. If you do specify an Adi top, specify the Adi bracing too, or at least CV bracing. They are powerful and amazingly flexible. They will warm up after about ten minutes of play and their dynamic range is excellent. They respond well to a light touch and they don't seem to have a top end. You can play them hard and they don't compress or clip. Today, they sound great. In 20 years, they will sound transcendental. Remember, just about all of the "Holy Grail" guitars that sound amazing are Adirondack. They sounded just great in 1940 too.....
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

rolleiguy54

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:31:08 PM »
I own a BTO ga with adirondack top and braces, two d 28's with adi tops.
All sounded great out of the box. No question I would order the same woods again.
If they open up down the road....great. They sound wonderful already.

Roseadi

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
Can't speak for adi topped Taylors but I do have one guitar with that top. I would classify it as having more clarity, punch and unlimited headroom. The highs seem to be more rounded/sweeter sounding as well. As far as opening up, time will tell. I can say that it seems to take around 15 - 20 minutes to fully open if not played for a few days. I also notice this doesn't happen when I've been playing it every day for a good stretch of time. Maybe that's just me since audible memory so unreliable!
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

skavon

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
Listen to what Jim has to say. He helped me put together my Adi/Rosewood GA BTO and I couldn't be happier. Also has the Adi CV bracing. The sound is booming and the dynamics are fantastic (just as Jim described). Adirondack is by far my favorite wood. I personally wouldn't worry about it needing to open up. It sounded great from the get go and even better after playing it for a few days. I can only imagine what it will sound like in a few years. Here's a few photos:

e8n

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
Jim did both my GS and Dread Adi topped/ Rosewood BTOs and he does speak the truth.  They sound very good out of the box and improve every day you play them.  As the Taylor rep said at the road show, the worst day with your adi is the first day you own it. 

I've been extremely happy with my GS (the dread is very nice also but the GS is magical with that top on it) and would do it again in a heartbeat.  The only change I might make would be to do Coco instead of rosewood. 

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
Well great ...that's just great.  Give me something else I need to put on the want list.  Yeah sure, thanks a lot guys.
 ;)
Edward

Roseadi

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »
skaven, that's one gorgeous guitar and one I would LOVE to hear!
"Everyone has a crack. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »
Jim's comments about the Addi bracing are spot on.

I wouldn't buy an Addi top without Addi bracing based upon my experience with two Taylors with this spe
c.

ggj

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
Wow , that is a striking guitar!!  Absolutely beautiful in its clean lines and simplicity. Congrats on a wonderful BTO.
GGJ

Living in the light of God's presence
________