Author Topic: Taylor's TRC Question and you opinion...  (Read 5335 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Taylor's TRC Question and you opinion...
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »
Is there anyone here who thinks that Taylor's truss-rod covers should not be matte in finish but should be gloss to match the headstock?  Why does Taylor do that ...perhaps the answer is as simple as it is their aesthetic choice?  Small potatoes, to be sure, but I feel that every Taylor (and R.Taylor) sporting a gloss finish at the headstock should have a gloss TRC that matches.  The dull satin has always bugged me a bit.  You? 

Edward

temporaryalias

Re: Taylor's TRC Question and you opinion...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
I do I do!!

Ted and I just realized the my TRC choice on my BTO was incorrect. We were both surprised that we missed it as many times as we looked at and changed things recently, but alas.

It did get me looking for 3rd party alternatives. I found a guy who will do a plain Taylor koa TRC in gloss and I thought to myself, "good I wanted it gloss anyway to match my peghead veneer."

$0.02
Taylor 416ce 2011
Taylor BTO EIR/Sinker GC on the way!

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »
Edward,

I agree with you.  I've always felt that TRCs should match the headstock, regardless of the veneer or glossiness.  Of course, I'm still trying to figure out why my 814 has a matte headstock.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
Good question...maybe it's b/c of the two little screws...and the combination of screws plus lacquer isn't the best? (cracking?) 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:07:16 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Matt McGriff

• Might be my fault...
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 03:26:29 PM »
Take it off and polish the puppy up!
2011 Taylor 810e
2010 Rainsong Hybrid Studio Dread
2011 Taylor GSMini

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
For the flamed maple ones I've made for my guitars I finished them with gloss.  So I for one think they look better with a gloss finish. As for the standard Taylor cover, it would not be a big project to remove it and spray it with some clear gloss varnish. 
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
I agree, even the 35th anniversary comes with a non gloss trc, but the plastic T5 trc well it's probably the only thing I don't like about the T5. But an easy fix to make one yourself or get Bill Nichols to.
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
OK, so I ain't alone.  Anyone up for storming the bastille...lol!

I love Bill Nichols' work as is evidenced by the thread here and the pics I've seen in the past.  But for me, I just never wanted to part with that much coin for a custom TRC.  OTOH, a rattle can of laquer just may be the solution here as it's cheap and would likely look good given we're talking about such a small piece of wood.  Anyone try the DIY TRC "fix" here wanna fess up with your experience?  If not, I may just have to give this a go ...I wonder what Taylor would charge me for a new TRC, though, if I hate the results and have to replace it. :)

Edward

Iplay2

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
I have always felt like Taylor does an amazing job...until it comes to the TRC.  Then it seems like they just don't care?  Taylor makes all these amazing guitars, then they slap the same cheap looking TRC on all of them.  They are such a visible part of the guitar, you figure that Taylor would put a little more love into them.

temporaryalias

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »
OK, so I ain't alone.  Anyone up for storming the bastille...lol!

I love Bill Nichols' work as is evidenced by the thread here and the pics I've seen in the past.  But for me, I just never wanted to part with that much coin for a custom TRC.  OTOH, a rattle can of laquer just may be the solution here as it's cheap and would likely look good given we're talking about such a small piece of wood.  Anyone try the DIY TRC "fix" here wanna fess up with your experience?  If not, I may just have to give this a go ...I wonder what Taylor would charge me for a new TRC, though, if I hate the results and have to replace it. :)

Edward

I emailed the guys at shark inlay and asked for a quote for a plain gloss Koa Taylor style Trc and I was pleased with the quote. I thought it was reasonable.
Taylor 416ce 2011
Taylor BTO EIR/Sinker GC on the way!

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 06:10:12 PM »
I rub mine w/extra fine scotch brite and put lemon oil on them to darken them. I also swap covers to find a better grain match if possible.
Steve
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Taylor's TRC Question and your opinion...
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »
Is there anyone here who thinks that Taylor's truss-rod covers should not be matte in finish but should be gloss to match the headstock?  Why does Taylor do that ...perhaps the answer is as simple as it is their aesthetic choice?  Small potatoes, to be sure, but I feel that every Taylor (and R.Taylor) sporting a gloss finish at the headstock should have a gloss TRC that matches.  The dull satin has always bugged me a bit.  You? 

Edward
like this ;)                                                  i believe that only the standard models with gloss headstocks/TRCs are the PSs                                             

the 600 series usually has a gloss ebony headstock with a satin ebony TRC,
although i've seen 'em with a gloss ebony TRC & a satin rosewood headstock & TRC -
700/800 series headstocks are normally satin, but i've seen them in gloss as well

it doesn't bother me to have a 'contrasting' finish TRC, but it does look cool in gloss  8)

Good question...maybe it's b/c of the two little screws...and the combination of screws plus lacquer isn't the best? (cracking?)
i think over time that could also be a concern, as a guitar will most likely have more
truss rod adjustments done over its lifetime than, say, tuning machine changes &
the holes in the TRC are not chamfered, so the head of the screw sits directly on top
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

darylcrisp

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:04:19 PM »
i'm the lone wolf here. i like the satin finish, irregardless on a gloss or satin headstock. i like the shape and fit of the stock taylor TRC, the holes are clean and the screwheads are not wallowed out.

i am amazed at some the past high dollar guitars i've owned and the clumsy way the TRC was done up.

i continue to be amazed-each and every time i uncase one of my $2000ish Taylors(mine are all mid range), of the quality of fit, finish, and sound. 

The longer i'm around guitars, the more impressed i am with Taylor and Martin. Huge bang for the buck IMO.

d

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »
Of course, I'm still trying to figure out why my 814 has a matte headstock.

Seriously!  I don't understand that either. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

mcookoc

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 12:04:46 PM »
i must be odd since i never even look or think about the trc i have a gc-5 and i am going to take it out and look at it. who knows i may then have an opinion.