Author Topic: Binding/purfling help  (Read 6241 times)

mea1970

Binding/purfling help
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »
So I'm close to pulling the trigger on a BTO, a GC with Macassar/Sinker Redwood. I've got most of my choices made but am still deciding on binding, purfling and rosette.

As of this moment I'm thinking ebony binding would look great against the macassar (not sure about the sinker) and like the idea of green purfling with the green, single rosette against the redwood top. I'd love to hear others' suggestions and see pics of what other people went with. Specifically, it's either ebony or koa/maple for binding, but I'm wide open on purfling ideas.

Thanks all,

Miles
-----------------------------
'12 Taylor GC Macassar Ebony/Sinker
'11 Taylor GS Mini
'83 Les Paul
Ron Kirn custom Telecaster
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Signature
Reverend PA-1 hollow body

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Binding/purfling help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
hi Miles :)
here are a few pics that may show some potential ideas
single ring standard ab rosette, koa binding with maple purfling (redwood/ziricote)

single ring paua rosette, paua edged top, black binding with BWB purfling

the purfling on the neck & headstock binding is a nice contrast next to the ebony, imho

single ring green heart(?)paua rosette, maple binding with matching purfling

imho, koa binding would look nice framing sinker/macassar (that wood combo sounds great :D),
as would ebony with paua top edging & a simple BWB purfling or no paua edging with red purfling

hope this helps a little & good luck with making your choices, as there many -
i believe you will love your guitar when it arrives ... play on ;D

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:16:47 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
Two thoughts.

Ebony binding is an expensive option. Black plastic binding, a no cost option, is more functional and visually the difference is lost on most people. Save the dough and pay for a purfling or rosette upgrade.

You might want to consider blue purfling. It looks terrific on the darker top and is one of the most under appreciated BTO options in my opinion.

The following picture is from a dealer. Yes, I know it is a sin to put that nice guitar on a hard wood floor.

Doesn't that purfling set off the rosette?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:50:12 AM by Tammany Tiger »

temporaryalias

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »
So I'm close to pulling the trigger on a BTO, a GC with Macassar/Sinker Redwood. I've got most of my choices made but am still deciding on binding, purfling and rosette.

As of this moment I'm thinking ebony binding would look great against the macassar (not sure about the sinker) and like the idea of green purfling with the green, single rosette against the redwood top. I'd love to hear others' suggestions and see pics of what other people went with. Specifically, it's either ebony or koa/maple for binding, but I'm wide open on purfling ideas.

Thanks all,

Miles

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/13069/2008-Taylor-Built-to-Order-Custom-GS-AcousticElectric-Guitar-Sinker-RedwoodMacassar---Used/
This is an example of your wood combo with green purfling and ebony.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/1281/Taylor-BTO-GS-Macassar-Ebony/
Here is your wood combo, ebony, wbw purf

http://www.acousticvibesmusic.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_65&products_id=1588
Here is your wood combo, red purf, it has bloodwood binding so disregard that as I do not believe it is a taylor bto option any longer. But you get the idea

http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/4453/Taylor_BTO_116_10450.htm
Here is your wood combo BWB purf and koa (my personal fav and what i ordered on my now being built sinker/EIR)

Like i mentioned above, I think Koa is an amazing accent. The Green purf example above is nice, but I would prefer the BWB white fiber. Actually true to point I would prefer wood purfling but it is not an option for Taylor BTO...yet.

I think the ebony binding and rosette looks great, but to my eye, I like the accent of Koa or maple or even rosewood around the fretboard and peghead myself.
That said, Koa for the rosette is a risk considering the color of the top, I went with it but I asked for a dark centered top to make the Koa rosette pop, so we shall see.

Good luck!

Taylor 416ce 2011
Taylor BTO EIR/Sinker GC on the way!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
My personal "rule" on binding is contrast against the top, back, and sides. 

So since you're asking, I think ebony is too dark to offer good contrast against dark (dark-ish) wood.  I think the lighter hue of maple or koa binding/purfling would be more aesthetically striking against macassar and/or sinker.  And I love a good abalone rosette.  Matching that sparkle with purfling is all about how much "bling"you're comfortable with: if more, go with more ab purfling; if less then an ab rosette and simpler purfling w/contrasting binding is your ticket; if "quiet" looking is your cup o tea, then a wood rosette and rw or ebony binding could certainly keep the look understated.

Edward

mea1970

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help and for taking time to look for links. Still not sure but leaning to koa binding I think.let you all know when I place the order!
-----------------------------
'12 Taylor GC Macassar Ebony/Sinker
'11 Taylor GS Mini
'83 Les Paul
Ron Kirn custom Telecaster
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Signature
Reverend PA-1 hollow body

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
Koa will be beautiful, especially on the dark top. My earlier comments were based upon your initial idea of ebony binding. Good luck!

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
That blue is quite striking!  I've dreamed of a redwood/sinker top and EIR b/s with a dark green binding/purfling with a nice dark green abalone rosette.......one. of. these. days....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:27:19 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

ColinWright

• Canapeel
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »
On my RT Style 2 (sinker-over-EIR), I had bloodwood used for the binding.  It's absolutely gorgeous.  Here's a link on the AGF with photos of the finished guitar:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2807568&postcount=22
Colin Wright

R Taylor: '11 Style 1 12-string (Sitka/Maple); '11 Style 2 (Sinker/EIR)
Taylor: '12 518e, '11 Koa GS-LTD, GS Mini (Spruce)
Other: '10 Carvin C350