Author Topic: Thomastik Infeld Spectrums on my 2014 812ce 12 fret  (Read 724 times)

Sprintbob

Thomastik Infeld Spectrums on my 2014 812ce 12 fret
« on: October 31, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »
I’ve owned this guitar for three years and my favorite strings so far have been Thomastik Infeld 11-50 Plectrums. While pricey at around $22 a set, they last 5-6 months for me. I have always found the tone very balanced in combination with great feel and good clarity as well as low string squeak/squeal. My only complaint is they are not that loud but it is not an issue for me.

Last night I put on a set of Spectrum 10-50’s (still TI) and I think they are the best strings I have ever heard on this guitar. Everything I like about the Plectrums but the clarity and volume are improved. I used the same strings recently for a 4 month trial on my Collings OM1AH with similar results. I’m trying Martin Retros one that guitar now and they are not bad but I think I like the Spectrums better. I also put the Spectrums on my K-22 12 fret but one gauge heavier due to the Koa top. The result is similar but I sure enjoy the silkier feel of the 10-50’s versus the 11-52’s.

While they are pricey, I’ve always gotten long life out of every TI string set I have tried and the combination of low tension, low noise, and good to excellent tone keeps me coming back to them. It’s kind of a relief to think my string needs may be satisfied by 1-2 string types from one brand.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:18:18 PM by Sprintbob »
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)