Author Topic: Which pickup system to use...vintage Taylor 555  (Read 891 times)

acme97

• Began playing...not sure, but Nixon's 1st term
Which pickup system to use...vintage Taylor 555
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »
I just acquired a '95 555 12-string I'm going to use at gigs.

I was a little surprised at how "lightly" built the guitar feels, given that it's a 12 string.  But I'm used to, and for many years used, Guild 12s.  Great guitars for sure, and overbuilt.

I have two choices.  I can go with the LR Baggs Anthem that has both the Tru-Mic and undersaddle element, or the K&K Ultra-pure 12 with the newer style preamp that fits nicely at the soundhole (like the LR Baggs preamp).

Anyone have experience with installing these in their Taylor 12s?  It's between these two.  I like the versatility of the LR Baggs.  But, I also like the principle of not messing with the saddle/bridge that the K&K offers.  I have both systems in other guitars. 

Leaning toward the LR Baggs, but it's not a slam dunk.  The person installing the Baggs really has to know what they're doing, I've had a bum installation or two that required adjustments or another saddle to fix the problem.  But when it's right...great.

Thanks!

cc7

• The Elderly Brothers of Chicagoland on YouTube
Re: Which pickup system to use...vintage Taylor 555
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:28:45 AM »
I always liked the sound of the K & K - most natural to my ear, but they are slightly more prone to feedback.

acme97

• Began playing...not sure, but Nixon's 1st term
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
the gigs I do, feedback is never an issue since we're just on the patios in the summertime.

I loved the Guild F212 I was using...but I need better playability now and the taylors have the grovers, tons easier to tune.  and the '90s taylor necks can't be beat in my opinion.

cotten

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 03:02:27 AM »
The K&K would be my choice.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria