Author Topic: New member from Middle Tn  (Read 3017 times)

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
  • Education is important! Guitar is importanter!!
New member from Middle Tn
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »
Hey everyone!!  Glad to join this forum.  I live in middle Tn and love playing music.  I am originally a fiddle player and just started playing guitar about 1 1/2 years.  About 20 years ago while I was in the Navy.  Our ship was in Barcelona, Spain during Christmas time and one of my good friends bought an all black Taylor acoustic from a guitar shop there.  I thought that guitar was amazing!  It looked great, sounded out of this world and that was the start of my thinking Taylor guitars were the stuff!!  About 2 years ago, the wife told me I needed to start playing the guitar so I could sing and play at the same time(hard to do with a fiddle).  I bought an Art Et Lutherie acoustic and it was a pretty good little starter guitar and helped me get going.  I was surfing the internet about a year ago and saw a beautiful 1995 810 for sale at Steilberg String Instruments in Louisville, Ky and had to have it.  So I bought it and it is amazing!!  I played it all the time and in the bluegrass band I was in it could easily hold its own.  Then I joined a country band and as loud as the 810 is, it just can't compete with the drums and electric guitar and bass and a pedal steel.  The wife agreed that I needed a new guitar, so I recently purchased a 2011 T5-C1 in blue edge burst!!  This guitar is so nice!!  Way above my playing abilities but I am going to grow into it!!
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2
2014 Bourgeois SS Adi/Hog Custom dread
2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Re: New member from Middle Tn
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
Welcome tnrfiddler,

Great story!  I hope you enjoy your time here with us.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
Hello tnfiddler and welcome to the UTGF! Great story...just don't go believing your two Taylors will be the only ones you'll ever own! :P There are so many wonderful combinations of woods that it's hard to just say no. Wait until you see some of the new changes Taylor has in store for their lineup this year! :)
Cindy

charlie1

• High in Colorado
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Welcome tnfiddler from another Tennessean just down the road apiece.
1998 K22
2006 614ce

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »
Hello tnfiddler and welcome to the UTGF! Great story...just don't go believing your two Taylors will be the only ones you'll ever own! :P There are so many wonderful combinations of woods that it's hard to just say no. Wait until you see some of the new changes Taylor has in store for their lineup this year! :)

OH, there are MANY other Taylors that I would LOVE to own!!  I have seen a couple of custom T5's on here that make me drool!!  There is a 2010 fall ltd 816ce with the florentine cutaway out there that I dream about, just saw the 2012 Koas today...the list goes on and on!!!  But, I love being married too and she would probably kill me if I tried to buy another one....at least right now!!!
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
Glad to have you tnfiddler!!!!  I love the story behind your Taylors!   :D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:35:30 AM »
Hello there, tnfiddler :) I really enjoyed hearing about your journey from fiddle to guitar from acoustic to electric. That is what is so fun about this hobby - the constant discovery that takes place. If you get a chance to post some pix of your guitars at some point, I would enjoy seeing them!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »
Hello there, tnfiddler :) I really enjoyed hearing about your journey from fiddle to guitar from acoustic to electric. That is what is so fun about this hobby - the constant discovery that takes place. If you get a chance to post some pix of your guitars at some point, I would enjoy seeing them!

It has been quite the journey!!  One thing I know for sure is that guitar is a WHOLE LOT easier to learn and play than the fiddle!!  Most days the fiddle is still a beast and I have to work hard to tame it but the guitar is coming along pretty good and is a total blast to play!!!  I will get some pics taken of them tomorrow and post them up!!  I will even throw in a pic of my October, 2006 Charles J. Horner fiddle that in my opinion is one of the nicer fiddles I have ever seen or played!!  I was definitely lucky to get it and it is a keeper for life!! No amount of money would take it off my hands!!
1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »
Hello tnfiddler,

I loved reading your introduction.,  Your knoweldge of Taylor goes a lot further back than mine.  Just like you though, when I first saw and played one I knew I wanted one.  You have a couple of nice Taylors and hopefully a few more will find their way home in the years to come.  I have an 814 and a T5 C2.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

tnfiddler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »
Here are my babies:

1995 810
2016 GS Mini Koa ES2

mea1970

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:34:59 AM »
Welcome! I spent 12 years as a sideman in Nashville. My wife and I will definitely be moving back before long!
-----------------------------
'12 Taylor GC Macassar Ebony/Sinker
'11 Taylor GS Mini
'83 Les Paul
Ron Kirn custom Telecaster
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Signature
Reverend PA-1 hollow body