Author Topic: Doyle DDX  (Read 4491 times)

jalbert

• I should be practicing
Doyle DDX
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
I was puzzled when Taylor announced their Doyle Deluxe (DDX) last year. While this isn't really a signature model, you'd expect the artist to have a fair amount of input. Yet there are some key differences between the DDX and the DDSM that confound me:

-- 1 11/16" nut width versus 1 3/4": makes a big difference for finger style
-- 25 1/2" scale length versus 24 7/8": Doyle explained that the shorter scale length would add years to his career
-- Strap button on the heel of the neck instead of on the body (near where the ES controls go); changes the balance

One might conclude that Doyle wouldn't choose to play a guitar like this!

(I'm purposefully omitting details like the use of laminated woods, lack of the rose headstock inlay, different cutaway shape, the LR Baggs pickup, etc. I can understand those choices in terms of cutting costs to lower the price of the guitar. Several years ago there was a "Doyle Dykes Anniversary Edition"--DDAE--that was more like the DDSM.)

So while I'm sure the DDX is a nice guitar, no one should conclude that it's merely a de-contented version of the Signature Model. And going forward, it's unclear just how much promotion Doyle will lend to this model, seeing as how he's apparently now with Guild/Fender.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Brian Swerdfeger @ Taylor

Re: Doyle DDX
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
Actually, Doyle wanted an entry-level guitar that his fans could enjoy - it was never meant to be anything like a DDSM.

FYI - In 2012, this model is the 214ce-BLK and features regular dot inlays and no signature on the peghead.

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:24:43 PM »
Brian--thanks for the explanation. It doesn't get any more official than that!
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
Doyle seemed to like the differences between the DDSM & DDX, i thought ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISUA-rbTd0
i thought that orginally a LR Baggs UST was going to be used in conjunction with the ES-T (perhaps revoiced) preamp

the DDX is a sweet guitar, imho & the maple inner laminate does  make a difference in tone (to my ear) & the fact
that it will continue on as the 214ce-BLK along with the 214ce-SB, makes 2 very nice alternatives to the natural top 214ce :)

not gonna lie, though ...
a florentine cutaway would look sharp  on that guitar -
it's already sporting a tux ;D

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

dkoloff

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
Actually, Doyle wanted an entry-level guitar that his fans could enjoy - it was never meant to be anything like a DDSM.

FYI - In 2012, this model is the 214ce-BLK and features regular dot inlays and no signature on the peghead.

Will Taylor continue to have the DDSM as a signature guitar or are they looking at "retiring" it as a model?
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

Brian Swerdfeger @ Taylor

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
Yes - we are keeping the DDSM alive. It's on the price list.
We do not have inventory, but they will be scheduled and built as ordered.