Author Topic: NGD, catching up  (Read 1021 times)

acme97

• Began playing...not sure, but Nixon's 1st term
NGD, catching up
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:05:17 AM »
Hi,

This was my guitar week last week (I'm catching up)...

I purchased a new 114e walnut because it sounded really good that day at the mega-store, but I sure wasn't planning on buying.  Should not have gone to the back room.  Sigh.  Well, I was able to fingerpick on it with ease and I couldn't believe it, like it came back from nowhere.  So Taylor got me there.

Coincidentally, awhile back I had already become intrigued looking at the '90s string-through bridge / smaller body / all solid-wood / one-piece neck Taylor guitars.   I have a '60s Harmony Sovereign that is string-through and ladder braced, and it's really a great guitar, besides giving your palm a very comfortable place to rest via the smooth bridge top.  The Jimmy Page/Pete Townshend one.

So it happened I acquired this '90s 412 mahogany (on the left) and this '96 rosewood 422R (far right, showing the back).  They were entirely reasonable in comparison to higher model Taylors.  Coming back to fingerpicking after many years, I thought these guitars suited the bill. 

In order, I like the brand new 114e with laminate ("layered,", lol) walnut the best, and the rosewood 422R almost as much.  BUT...I don't mind the mahogany 412 at all.  It's really even, great sustain, but just not as "deep"sounding as the other two.  I plan to use the other two for retired rock star acoustic gigging.

So for a guy not much into Taylors (I'm into the other ones, you know), I have to say I super like everything I've purchased.  They are really fun to play.  And I like variety, at a lower price point.

What's the bracing on those 400 series Taylors from the '90s?  And actually I would keep those all tuned down one whole step (and slack all the strings when stored).

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: NGD, catching up
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:21 AM »
Congrats acme, looking good!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:22:08 AM »
Love those 90s Taylor's! Bracing in the 90s was fairly generic as I recall. However they were braced, it's hard to find a clunker among the 90s Taylor's. Congrats and enjoy!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
wow!!!

what would you say you like the best about the 114?

i wonder how you would like it compared to 90s GA body

i've been intrigued on 90s taylors, everyone says the necks were incredible..haven't seen one in person by j almost pulled the trigger on a 90s GC body a while back...

congrats!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

acme97

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 10:04:18 PM »
wow!!!

what would you say you like the best about the 114?

i wonder how you would like it compared to 90s GA body

i've been intrigued on 90s taylors, everyone says the necks were incredible..haven't seen one in person by j almost pulled the trigger on a 90s GC body a while back...

congrats!

Regarding the new 114e...first of all the smaller body shape (I've lived on dreadnaughts pretty much since I was 10) made the fingerpicking much easier.  That's a common comment.  The other thing was I was surprised by the amount of bass response I got out of it, almost like those old Yamaha guitars I've always liked.  Almost...tubby (by Taylor standards)?  The one I bought had a better bass note than the other 114e they brought out from the back for me to try.  That was the main thing, really.  I'd not heard a Taylor (except top-line stuff) with that kind of low-end response, which is why I never paid much attention to them.

The '90s Taylors pictured here do have very nice necks, extremely comfortable to me anyway.  I was particularly never a fan of Taylor two piece necks, another reason I was attracted to the old ones.

I so also own an older 110 that has that scarf joint neck, about the ugliest build feature I've ever seen on a guitar.  But strong as steel I'm sure, so I get it.  I got it at a super price, so I couldn't say no.  That's my backup guitar if a main one goes out.  I like it only ok.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:48:26 AM by acme97 »

acme97

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:30:28 AM »
Hmm...

Regarding the '90s Taylor 422R, when did they go to white binding and a bound neck?  Mine, as you see above (with the back showing), is black binding and unbound neck.  I love the sound and feel of mine quite a bit, so I'm not really bummed out, but I always liked the look of white binding paired with the bound neck like on my Marti, er, other guitar.

Just curious, since it seems these weren't around that long anyway.