Author Topic: Fret buzz  (Read 1398 times)

Airborne

Fret buzz
« on: July 30, 2017, 10:27:31 PM »
I bought a new 214ce dlx about six weeks ago from Guitar Center and recently it has developed what I guess to be fret buzz. Strumming open chords is when I hear this buzzing. I plan on taking it back to GC to get it fixed and was wondering if this procedure is covered by warranty, or will a service charge be assessed? I myself have never worked on any guitar. Thanks in advance for any reply.

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
Re: Fret buzz
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:38:54 PM »
Sounds like it just needs the truss rod adjusted, a easy fix. This is sometimes caused by a change in humidity. It is easy and something you should learn to do or forever be at the mercy of a guitar tech. youtube.com is your friend. YMMV ;)

Airborne

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »
Sounds like it just needs the truss rod adjusted, a easy fix. This is sometimes caused by a change in humidity. It is easy and something you should learn to do or forever be at the mercy of a guitar tech. youtube.com is your friend. YMMV ;)

Thanks for the advice, I'll do some research and see what I can find. Hopefully, I won't destroy the guitar!!!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I'll do some research and see what I can find. Hopefully, I won't destroy the guitar!!!

Just keep in mind when making truss rod adjustments:  small changes go a long way.  I make turns of 1/8 turn, then eyeball down the fretboard to see the result.  If you start twisting away on the truss rod adjustment nut without monitoring how much of a change it's made, you can crack the neck.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Airborne

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »

I have seen a video by Taylor Guitar explaining the process and it seems very straightforward. I have ordered the socket tool and plan on giving it a try. And yes, I will definitely make adjustments in small increments. Thanks for helping.

Just keep in mind when making truss rod adjustments:  small changes go a long way.  I make turns of 1/8 turn, then eyeball down the fretboard to see the result.  If you start twisting away on the truss rod adjustment nut without monitoring how much of a change it's made, you can crack the neck.

FrankenTaylor

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »
You probably need to adjust your truss rod  :P
"Let your smile change the world, don't let the world change your smile."

(Unknown)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »

Hey Airborne,

1. Also look at Taylor's site ...they used to post vids that were both informational as well as instructional.  I recall TR adjustment (and the effects of humidity on acoustics, important) being on there.

2. Any new Taylor purchased from an auth dealer --like GC-- will carry a lifetime warranty for its original purchaser that will cover most, if not all, of your concerns.  You have a great guit from a company that has  the best CS I have ever experienced ...ever!  BTW, as a side note, call up Taylor and register yourself as your guitar's owner.  It does nothing for you except create a record of orig ownership which may be useful in the future for whatever reason.

3. Not everyone changes their own oil, which makes perfect sense.  But everyone should, IMHO, know how to check and top up their own oil.  This is how I view TR adjustments, personally.  You learn how to do it, the rationale behind why you do it, and you become a more savvy and happier owner and player; it's like bonding with your car, er, guitar. :)

4. Enjoy the guitar!  I dig the 200s, and the dlx models even more. :)

Edward

Airborne

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:51:42 PM »

Hey Airborne,

1. Also look at Taylor's site ...they used to post vids that were both informational as well as instructional.  I recall TR adjustment (and the effects of humidity on acoustics, important) being on there.

2. Any new Taylor purchased from an auth dealer --like GC-- will carry a lifetime warranty for its original purchaser that will cover most, if not all, of your concerns.  You have a great guit from a company that has  the best CS I have ever experienced ...ever!  BTW, as a side note, call up Taylor and register yourself as your guitar's owner.  It does nothing for you except create a record of orig ownership which may be useful in the future for whatever reason.

3. Not everyone changes their own oil, which makes perfect sense.  But everyone should, IMHO, know how to check and top up their own oil.  This is how I view TR adjustments, personally.  You learn how to do it, the rationale behind why you do it, and you become a more savvy and happier owner and player; it's like bonding with your car, er, guitar. :)

4. Enjoy the guitar!  I dig the 200s, and the dlx models even more. :)

Edward

I watched the Taylor video on truss rod adjustments, bought the proper tool, and the procedure was very straightforward. The result is no more fret buzz and I feel great knowing the procedure to cure that issue. Thanks for all the advice.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 12:10:26 PM »
Glad that it all worked for you ...and that you made the adjustments makes it even better!  Nuttin' like bonding with your guitar ...Enjoy! :D

Edward