Author Topic: I joined the Taylor ranks...guitar care  (Read 1159 times)

acme97

• Began playing...not sure, but Nixon's 1st term
I joined the Taylor ranks...guitar care
« on: July 22, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »
Hi there, I'm new to this forum.

Last winter I picked up a used Taylor 100 (with the world's ugliest but effective scarf joint) and installed my own electronics to use for patio gigs when I needed durability when it's hot, sunny, muggy.  Today I just picked up a new 114e for when I want to fingerpick at gigs once in awhile.  Just can't fingerpick on the dreadnaughts anymore, not like when I was a kid.

SO...what's the best way to clean these satin finishes if needed?  I asked the guy that works on my other, older acoustics.  He chuckled a bit, then said "Windex."  I got the joke.

My guess is the old Dawn dish soap and water on a super wrung-out soft cloth for the dirt and grime?  But do not use any polishes on satin finishes?  I never use polish on necks.

I've also noticed something weird about the two Taylor 100 series I have.  When using a tuner or tuning app, the thing can't seem to find whatever note I'm tuning the low "E" string to.  Like it's confused by another overtone or something.  Both guitars.  Tuning all the other strings, no problem.  I can totally do it by ear, but I find that coincidence odd.

I played a lot of guitars against this 114e today off the wall at awful GC.  Even another 114e they had in back.  But this one was the winner.  Even against a 214e DLX which surprised me.  It just had a little more of everything, including some similar Martins (which I love).  At least in the range of one large.  Did not bother with the ones up near the ceiling.

So once again it's reaffirmed that some guitars just "speak" to you.  Go with that, every time.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: I joined the Taylor ranks...guitar care
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
Hi there, I'm new to this forum...

Welcome!

...what's the best way to clean these satin finishes if needed?  I asked the guy that works on my other, older acoustics.  He chuckled a bit, then said "Windex."  I got the joke.

My guess is the old Dawn dish soap and water on a super wrung-out soft cloth for the dirt and grime?  But do not use any polishes on satin finishes?  I never use polish on necks...

I would just use a damp rag unless you've really got something you need a mild soap to cut through (grease, grime, etc.).  Taylor's finishes are pretty durable, but I agree:  do not use polish on the satin finish.  I suspect it wouldn't harm it, but I doubt it will make it look better...

... I've also noticed something weird about the two Taylor 100 series I have.  When using a tuner or tuning app, the thing can't seem to find whatever note I'm tuning the low "E" string to.  Like it's confused by another overtone or something.  Both guitars.  Tuning all the other strings, no problem.  I can totally do it by ear, but I find that coincidence odd...

I notice the same thing happening with some of my guitars and the clip-on tuners I use.  Doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, and I suspect it's more the tuner's fault than the guitar's.  If I'm having difficulty tuning the low "E" string directly with a clip-on tuner, I'll just finger the string on the fifth fret and tune it to "A".
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 06:59:47 PM »
I agree with Tim in every regard.

Welcome.

A damp soft cloth.

My tuners frequently do the same thing on the low E. But then again, I just use the tuner to get real close and then fine tune the strings relative to eachother, using various points on the fretboard. Can't explain why the tuners do that.  :-\
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

acme97

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »
It's not the "tuners."  I've not encountered this with, uh, others.  At least in my experience.

It's specific to my Taylor 100s it would seem...or more widespread unless y'all are playing Taylor 100s.

I just find that odd.

p.s. thanks for confirming my thoughts about cleaning these satin finish guitars when needed.  Saves on guitar polish costs too at this price point, seems (although I've not purchased more than two bottles of whatever in my entire guitar playing...which is...lifetime...which is 50+).

Rock on.

primeholy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
Have you tried hitting a harmonic on the twelfth fret on the e string while tuning? That helps me sometimes

acme97

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »
I will give it a shot.  Thanks!

Soof

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 12:07:39 AM »
I have a satin finish Taylor as well and I ditto the above recommendations. 

However, I use a microfiber cloth like the ones for auto detailing.
Martin D-20 12 string (1970)
Yamaha APX500III
Taylor 110e Prototype (2016)
Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70s Tele
Reville MV-XM (actually a very nice Gibson copy!)
Donner Strat (copy)