Author Topic: Taylor announces on their website Nylon string guitars across their product line  (Read 5500 times)

solosdad

Just saw on the Taylor website that they are including for 2012 nylon stringed guitars on their products lines with similar appointments to their steel string models. On the Gryphon Stringed Instruments website they have a new 812CN with photos and a sound file. It looks beautiful and has a tremendous tone. A great addition to the product line.
Bob Millner
2014 Collings OOO-2H
2012 Taylor GC6
2011 Martin OM 15 Custom
2013 Eastman E10P
2012 Kenny Hill Crossover
2010 Yamaha LL16 Donated to Guitars 4 Vets

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
This was a great move on Taylor's part.
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Jimbo

I agree... since they're making crossovers they might as well make them look a little more modern. This also leaves an aesthetic opening for their upcoming true classicals.

I just recently picked up the entry NS24ce to dip my toe in nylon. I've fallen in love with it and started loosely thinking about an upgrade already... this news makes my wallet itch.
Taylor 414ce Spring LTD '11 | Taylor 355ce | Taylor NS24ce | Recording King RD-316 | Silver Creek D-160 | Seagull S12+ Cedar

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
I agree... since they're making crossovers they might as well make them look a little more modern.

Couldn't agree more...I love the look. 
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Andromeda

Never really been a fan of plain Jane nylon strings guitars so I am really happy to see Taylor make this move.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
I was fixing to take the plunge with a NS24c, now I am glad I waited to see what the new ones look and sound like. :)
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

Jimbo

On the other hand, this might leave a few older NS-series guitars in stock that dealers will be anxious to move...
Taylor 414ce Spring LTD '11 | Taylor 355ce | Taylor NS24ce | Recording King RD-316 | Silver Creek D-160 | Seagull S12+ Cedar

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Never really been a fan of plain Jane nylon strings guitars so I am really happy to see Taylor make this move.
+1 ;D

a Google search will reveal pics of a 412ce-N also :)

i like the rosette & fretboard inlays being
consistent with the CE steel strings ... nice :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jannie

They look gorgeous, reading the specs though, it seems that they come with extra hard tension nylon strings, this is weird as most classicals are played with mediums, highs or a half and half mix but on the forums I don't remember anyone mentioning they play extra hard tension.

My curiosity is up, I love this. My guess is they are a new style nylon string guitar and don't really intend to be a remake of a classical but with a crossover neck at 1 7/8" instead of 2" with more differences. But I'm wondering if these are for the steel string players wanting to play nylons for the sound it can create but the extra high tension will feel more like a steel string and will also vibrate in a way that is not so broad which will allow a lower string action ( classicals are quite high up the neck). This could be a fingerpickers dream, especially amplified.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:09:11 AM by Jannie »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
They look gorgeous, reading the specs though, it seems that they come with extra hard tension nylon strings, this is weird as most classicals are played with mediums, highs or a half and half mix but on the forums I don't remember anyone mentioning they play extra hard tension.

My curiosity is up, I love this. My guess is they are a new style nylon string guitar and don't really intend to be a remake of a classical but with a crossover neck at 1 7/8" instead of 2" with more differences. But I'm wondering if these are for the steel string players wanting to play nylons for the sound it can create but the extra high tension will feel more like a steel string and will also vibrate in a way that is not so broad which will allow a lower string action ( classicals are quite high up the neck). This could be a fingerpickers dream, especially amplified.
hi Jannie.
i believe that you are correct on all counts & i think that perhaps the reason why the aesthetics
on the Nylons now match those of the steel string 300-900s is that may be the more traditional
appointments (marquetry rosette & blank fretboard could be used on a future series of nylons

the 914ce-N is a beautiful guitar as well, imho :)
[url][/http://davesguitar.com/products/taylor/914ce-classical/url]
[/size][/color]

support indie musicians

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography

I think Bob Taylor would be the first person to tell you that these are not classical guitars.
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

swiftz07

Wonderful move by Taylor...i remember sometime last year, Bob Taylor mentioned in W&S that he was rethinking how nylons should be built. I wonder if this new standard series nylons incoporates new improvements already, in addition to bling and appointments.

Does anyone know if the ES on these new standard series nylons are the regular 2011 version of the the Expression System found on the regular steel string guitars? or is it new system altogether conceived for these nylons?
08' Taylor GAce Cocobolo
06' Taylor GSRS
08' Mcpherson Adirondack / Acacia
08' Goodall GC Italian / Cocobolo
12' Collings OM2H Engelmann / Indian
06' Doerr Legacy Select Swiss / Malaysian BW

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
Wonderful move by Taylor...i remember sometime last year, Bob Taylor mentioned in W&S that he was rethinking how nylons should be built. I wonder if this new standard series nylons incoporates new improvements already, in addition to bling and appointments.

Does anyone know if the ES on these new standard series nylons are the regular 2011 version of the the Expression System found on the regular steel string guitars? or is it new system altogether conceived for these nylons?
i believe the electronics on the -Ns will continue to be the ES-N, which has an undersaddle transducer &
specially-voiced pre-amp, rather than the dynamic string & body sensors of the ES steel string
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/electronics/expression-system/
this would be a good question for Brian S to field, as there may have been possible changes made :)

support indie musicians