Author Topic: The Motorcycle Posts  (Read 13011 times)

SMan

Re: The Motorcycle Posts
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 08:15:55 AM »
Well, due to problems with my legs when I ride with my wife two up, I decided to go to three wheels: I traded in my V Star 1300T for a new leftover 2011 Can Am Spyder RT-AC...and the Spyder trailer.

Shortly after I bought it I rode it from St Louis to the Florida Space Coast and it was one of the most comfortable rides I've ever taken.  And, I might add, my wife loves it.  I still have my Suzuki M50 for the rare days when I just have to lean, but I'm really glad I gave in and stepped up to the Spyder.  With this beast I should be able to ride into my 70s (I'm 61 now).

Nice phil.  Hope you enjoy it!

Oh and thanks for continuing to remind me you're retired............... ;)   :D

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
We retired people are like that...

;) ;D
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

dcarey

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 05:01:56 PM »
I've had lots of bikes over the years.
This one's on my bucket list:

Now...who can ID my dream ride?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:04:12 PM by dcarey »
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

madx2

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »
Yes, that would be a sweet one to have.  Looks like a Vincent Rapide of about 1951?

dcarey

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 06:55:19 AM »
Close but no cigar..you got the year and the maker, but not the model.
Vincent Black Shadow!  Easy mistake, because the engine is supposed to be black.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:57:43 AM by dcarey »

madx2

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 10:45:56 PM »
Yes, the "mismatch" of the polished cases (normally Rapide) and a 5inch speedometer (Black Shadow) was my downfall.  I guess it could be one of the super rare "White" Shadows??

dcarey

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 06:46:20 AM »
Didn't the White Shadows have black cylinder castinqs with everything else polished? I'm far from being any kind of expert.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 08:47:56 AM »
Here is a picture of my first.  Wish I still had it, but everybody would leave me in the dust, so I had to get something a little bigger.

The other thing that prompted me to get a bigger bike is that I had a hard time picking up girls with this one.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:51:39 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
Since we're talking firsts... my first was a Honda Dream 150.  Looked like a tank; I think it was before Honda learned to creatively bend sheet metal.  ;)  I moved up as soon as I could afford it: a Honda 350 CB.  My first "big iron" was a 1969 Triumph Bonneville.  I taught my then girlfriend (now wife) how to ride on that bike.  Some things haven't changed so much in all these years... I think I hooked her because I had long hair, played guitar in a band, and rode a motorcycle... the parental "trifecta nightmare"!!  8)

Well, I'm a one-man band these days, the hair is lots shorter and thinner, but I still ride.  Still with the same Blonde.  And it only took her Mother about 35 years to warm up to me.

Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
Though I didn't care for 2-stroke engines, my first motorcycle was a 150 cc Suzuki S32 which I bought for $100 in 1972 (the equivalent of $548 today) when I was in college.  The red paint was so badly faded that my brother bought flat black spray paint and hastily painted it black. Eventually the mufflers fell off and we drove the bike without them though we had numerous complaints from the apartment neighbors, all college students, who claimed, perhaps rightly, that it was the loudest bike they'd ever heard. I enjoyed driving the little thing and not worrying about damaging it or even theft.

madx2

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »
Didn't the White Shadows have black cylinder castinqs with everything else polished? I'm far from being any kind of expert.

I am no expert either so we are both in the same sidecar (to stay with a m/c metaphor).  What little "googling" I have done said the White Shadow was done to Black Shadow engine specifications but with the Rapide livery.

I talked to a friend that has a '52 Black Shadow and he said it is very hard to tell apart a Rapide and Shadow of the same year by looking if the "black" had been removed.  He also said no one in their right mind would do that because "that is where the money is".  Two of the minor differences are the Shadow has the 150 mph and finned front brake drums.  Inside the engine it has a "hotter" cam profile and even more care taken in matching/weighing components and assembly.

Now the Black Lightning...that takes everything to another level!

dcarey

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 06:16:31 PM »
All I know for sure is that a Vincent is the next item on my bucket list, although it may be easier to get a Norton Commando first, so that's a viable alternative.
Either way, I need a British bike that shakes a bit and leaks oil for a Summertime toy! I've been far too long a time without a project bike. The wife can't ride because of back issues so I can get away with something smaller.

madx2

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
Hello Sachi,
Yes,  that is a very rare motorcycle.  A Norton Mercury made between '68-'70.
I'm actually surprised that anyone knows what it is!  Mine was a 1969 model, 26 serial numbers from the end of production. I had to do little to keep it up; I just rewired some of the connections using spade connectors (with shrinkwrap over them!) to keep it all together, and that made it a very durable machine. It wasn't too buzzy either, so was a nice highway ride at about 60 mph.

I also owned a '64 Bonneville, which I rebuilt from a pile of parts. That one wasn't quite so nice to ride as the Norton (there's a reason those frames were called featherbeds) but it also was a very enjoyable bike.

Hi Sachi,
I finally got some pictures of my friend's 1969 Mercury.  Here is a trip down memory lane for you!!

The airplane is a P-51D Mustang.  It used to be at a local airport but has since been sold to a Texan.

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 11:48:28 AM »
Very nice! His bike is a little cleaner than mine was – I rode mine all over, so it was definitely a working bike. But gosh, they all are lovely.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.