2 (6.9%)
3/32" saddle height
3 (10.3%)
under 3/32" saddle height
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Your string height?  (Read 15479 times)

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
Re: Your string height?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 05:18:47 AM »
i'm in the just under 5/64" E, 3/64" camp also, or just over 4/64" & 2/64" &
i've found that just under a 1/32" difference on the saddle height could be
the difference between having tone that dull overall, or not, in some cases[/font][/size][/color]

My experience exactly....

My best player is my '94 612c that I bought used. Someone before me had the action set by a true magic man. Frets are low and perfectly level and the action is 5/64, 3/64 or maybe even a tad lower. This guitar almost plays itself.
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
Hey great job with the poll, Michael ...thanks for that!!  :D

Edward

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »
BTW, jpmist, strummers clearly could use higher action than those who play with fingers, but using heavier-gauge strings allows you to get the action lower since the tension is higher and strings arcs less.  Experiment with a gauge higher than you use, or a hybrid set (elixir has a med-light that I love) and you may like what you feel/hear.

Appreciate that, from time to time I'll try a set of mediums, but I always go back to lights. I know I give up a smidgen of tone, but I play a lot on my Strat also, so I'm spoiled by strings I don't have to fight to fret cleanly.

Having the strings as low as they go isn't for me a goal in and of itself. It matters more on my Strat, but a higher action lets you grip the strings with your left hand fingers and do pulloffs, vibrato and such. . .
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Jannie

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
This is such a wonderful thread, thank you. From this and others these last few weeks I've leaned to understand a lot about my guitar and how to adjust to my needs. But even more than that I have learned to be more confident about how my guitar is set up and if it changes- what I can do, and what I can have done, and that I have many choices for strings and how they might make a difference.

Before I got my Taylor GC3 I only knew that a guitar seemed to play well for me or that something might be wrong. I didn't know how much I could affect he guitar by how I used a pick, how hard I strummed, how I or others could adjust the guitar for how I played.

I am pretty thrilled about all of this and realized his morning that bar chords were easier as I practice and that I was grateful for the difference knowledge has made. I also realized that I've probably been playing too much which simply takes the strength out of my hands- oh the joys of getting older where defiance and determination are sometimes what it takes to just keep going instead of fulfilling a fantasy of greatness.

I'm old enough to realize this will probably be my last guitar and I think I've picked well. Barring health stuff some of us get like arthritis, I hope to be able to play another five years. I am comfortable with this but realize Pete Seger played well beyond his seventies so maybe...

If I were at this point to fantasize about a fancier guitar, it would probably still be a Taylor, still a Grand Concert but maybe the 12 fret or a cedar over rosewood as my hearing works better with warmer, more mellow sounds, or find how to achieve that with what I have.

Thank you, everyone who is contributing and I think now it's all about playing, if nothing else I simply love to listen to the sweet sound every time I pick it up.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:46:30 PM by Jannie »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
Hey great job with the poll, Michael ...thanks for that!!  :D

Edward
no problemo  8)

thanks for making this thread & for sharing pics &
reviews of your guitars with us too, Edward :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »
I guess I am one of those who have never measured height.  Both of my Taylors are the same as they were when they came home; no adjustments at all.  I will admit though that I played a friend's 814, a 2010 as is mine and he had lowered his strings a bit.  It played really nice, but I strum more than him, so I did not touch mine.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Jannie

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »
Last night I played a bit with the neck on my GC3 after reading here. I loosened the first and second strings and pulled them out of the bridge. The saddle was rough where the strings crossed it so I polished it with an extreme fine polishing emery board, it's almost as smooth as paper and it took awhile. I put it back together and then adjusted the neck so it was nearly flat. I checked the nut height and I don't think it could be taken lower.

Then I would check the high and low E at the 12th fret, make an adjustment, play for awhile listening for buzz and if good I'd recheck the 12th fret and relief. I kept making subtle adjustments all evening. By the time I was done the truss but probably was only 1/8th of a turn from where it started. I let it sit overnight and then played several hours this morning.

The brashness ( a faint tinny sound) from the first string seems to be tamed, that might have been helped by polishing the saddle or reinserting the strings. The action seems quite nice and I feel the guitar is definitely improved and in reality not much has changed, just a minor tweak.

I am curious about getting a bone saddle and wondering which bone to get or whether to get the one made for the R Taylor's or Standard and hitch quality (expense level) I'm looking to make the 1st and 2nd warmer if possible and might do this simply because I can to learn what is possible. My hearing is amplified and the affect I'm hearing might be caused as much by them as the guitar so I'm trying to compensate with the guitar as much as possible.  I love the sound of the Elixir PB 4-6 and plan to order singles from other makers to try. Any more suggestions? I can't find the saddle maker here On my Phone but I think his first name is Bob and I have it on my home computer.

Jannie

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
Actually since last night, I'm happy with the second string and it's just the first that I'd like it to be a little less chimey or whatever you might call it, kind of a ringing thing.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 07:59:40 PM »
Kudos to you for taking the time and really geting to know your guitar!

His name is Bob Colosi.  Check out his website: full of different materials beyond just bone.  He's a good guy who doesn't just try and sell you stuff.  Email him what you're trying to tonally accomplish and he will offer his suggested material for you.  And Taylor, of course, can sell you their bone saddle, but Bob's is cheaper ...and either way you'll be doing the sanding to get it just right.

FWIW, go into the saddle swap with an open and critical mind. Too many folks (IMHO) consider bone an instant "upgrade" over tusq.  I disagree.  All saddle materials are tonally different: which you prefer is your prerogative.  The nice thing about a saddle swap, though, is that it's easy enough to A/B so you can decide for yourself.  Enjoy to tonal journey!

Edward

Picken Pappy

• “Kick'n back and pick’n on the front porch swing.”
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
FWIW, go into the saddle swap with an open and critical mind. Too many folks (IMHO) consider bone an instant "upgrade" over tusq.  I disagree.  All saddle materials are tonally different: which you prefer is your prerogative.  The nice thing about a saddle swap, though, is that it's easy enough to A/B so you can decide for yourself.  Enjoy to tonal journey!
Edward

I totally agree! I have both bone and tusq on my guitars. It really depends on the tone that your trying to achieve on what material is best. I also agree that Bob Colosi is the "go to guy" for nuts, bridges, and pins. Here is his link.
http://www.guitarsaddles.com/
"A ding in your guitar is like a hicky on your honey. Nothing to get upset about unless you’re NOT the one who put it there!"  >:(     Pappy

Jannie

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I just sent Bob an email, explaining what I have and what I'm hoping for and asked for his suggestions. I love this guitar, I think it's a perfect fit if I can just get the edginess/light shrill out of the high E string. It's one of those things that was there but oh well, but after time it started to get to me. When I strum, no problem, when I use a flat pick, no problem but when I'm fingerpicking it's just got this thing going. Anyway it'll get worked out, and I have learned a bunch about my guitar, getting to know it as was stated. Honest, I wouldn't be adverse to this being my one and only, it's nice and full sounding all through the wound strings, just need to get that little edge on the high end to go away and no this may not be something that people who DON'T wear hearing aids would ever hear. It's a sweet guitar.

Tammany Tiger

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 02:59:32 AM »
Blind Lemon didn't measure the height of his strings and I don't measure mine.

Jannie

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 02:12:43 PM »
Tuesday afternoon I mailed my bridge to Bob Colosi to be referenced in making a new bridge out if legal elephant ivory. Friday he emailed me that he got the bridge, was making the new one and would mail it to me that afternoon.

I'm excited and also very impressed by the way he's handled this from the beginning when I emailed him with my questions.