Author Topic: Talk me into a GS Mini!  (Read 11031 times)

sojiro

Re: Talk me into a GS Mini!
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »
Hopefully by now you've received enough evidence to convince you that this really is a great guitar. When I play mine, the first thing people notice is the size. (I tell them I accidentally ran it through the clothes dryer and it shrank.) The next thing they notice is the sound: full, loud and balanced, often surpassing many full-sized guitars.

Nothing else in its size class compares. I did a side-by-side comparison between a mahogany Mini and a Martin Dread Jr., and the Mini sounded MUCH better to my ears. I liked the way the Dread Jr played, and I liked the wider neck, but soundwise the Mine had it beat.

If you do decide to take the plunge, I recommend taking your time and finding one that speaks to you. When I bought my first Mini (Spruce/Sapelle), the shop had three of them, and all of them sounded different. I bought the one that sounded the best, of course, and in my biased opinion it sounds better than any other spruce/sapelle Mini I've played since then. I've played other Minis that I would consider duds soundwise, which is why I decided against buying online when I bought my mahogany Mini. I found it at Guitar Center, and at the time there was a used one in excellent condition for $100 less. But I bought new because that Mini sounded (again) vastly superior to the other hog Minis they had in stock.

Taylor guitars are amazingly consistent, but for whatever reason there tends to be more variability with the Minis. Most of them sound good, but every now and then you run across one that sounds AMAZING. (I played one rosewood one that sounded incredible, but every other rosewood Mini I've played since then has only sounded so-so.) So take your time and find The One.

Good luck!

deepermagic

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2021, 01:47:37 PM »
It's been a long while since I've posted around here, but I recalled this thread and wanted to update you all.

It took a little longer than I thought, but I finally got a GS Mini a few months ago!

Even after all this time the used mini's never dropped in price so I bought new. I would have purchased at my local mom and pop, but a couple years ago they sold their location and inventory to another music store. I contacted the new owners to see if they'd continue being an official Taylor dealer and they weren't sure yet. While I was waiting on the transition their main store burned down and as far as I know they've never re-opened my old go to store.  :(

I've played my fair share of mini's and they all sounded great, so I bought based on looks alone through Reverb. Got a spruce/rosewood (sorry I can't post pics now) and it's been a fantastic addition. Super fun. Super sound. And I've already been able to travel with it!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2021, 07:33:10 PM »
It's been a long while since I've posted around here, but I recalled this thread and wanted to update you all.

It took a little longer than I thought, but I finally got a GS Mini a few months ago!

Even after all this time the used mini's never dropped in price so I bought new. I would have purchased at my local mom and pop, but a couple years ago they sold their location and inventory to another music store. I contacted the new owners to see if they'd continue being an official Taylor dealer and they weren't sure yet. While I was waiting on the transition their main store burned down and as far as I know they've never re-opened my old go to store.  :(

I've played my fair share of mini's and they all sounded great, so I bought based on looks alone through Reverb. Got a spruce/rosewood (sorry I can't post pics now) and it's been a fantastic addition. Super fun. Super sound. And I've already been able to travel with it!
Better late than never, congratulations!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2021, 08:05:39 PM »
Fun
Comfortable
Tone
Playability
Traveler
Looks
Convenient
Value

Do it!  :D

Are you over the cliff?  ;)

Nuff said. my favorite couch/travel/anything guitar.

Ronc26

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2021, 10:16:05 PM »
Congrats on a great guitar!
2020 714ce
2002 714ce
1974 Giannini

d18d28

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2022, 04:55:20 PM »
Some may argue that I have more guitars than I need, but my most recent find is the GS Mini Koa.  This is the perfect travel guitar.  With its Aero-case, I'm comfortable gate checking it when I fly.  It's a sturdy little guitar that outperforms its size, but is more comfortable and playable than other 'travel' guitars I've played.  It sings like a guitar should sing, and with its electronics, it's one that will serve me well onstage.  It's great around the house as well.  A friend's mahogany GS Mini is what convinced me to try them all, but the Koa Plus sold me on its looks and sound and case.
Ken in Jax
'15 Taylor 360e SEB
'21 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa plus
'96 Martin D28 Sunburst
'67 Martin D18
'12 Martin 00-DB Tweedy
'92 Augustino CL-A classical
'99 DeNeve dobro (square neck)
Iseman Weissenborn
'10 Bart Reiter banjo
'18 LoPrinzi AK-AR-T ukulele
'13 Kanile'a K-1 T ukulele
'11 Fender Telecaster (Mexico)
Epiphone Dobro (round neck, low nut)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2022, 01:00:43 PM »
Bottom line, the GSm is good guit to have for "those" times you need it, and when purchased used offers a stunning value.  If I didn't already own a BabyT (since '99 so we've come a long way together ;) ), then I'd have been all over a GSm.  Clearly these are markedly different from one another, but for my purposes perform the same task.  So for those on the fence on one, I'd say find a great used one and enjoy the tone, playability, and its overall utility.

Edward

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 04:18:21 PM »
Still loving mine! Wish I could capture the 3D flame in photos, it's mesmerizing!

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2022, 07:44:47 PM »
I've had my Mini Koa e for about 2 years now, and wouldn't part with it. Be a good friend both on the couch and on the road traveling. Punches great for it's size, and I use Elixr PB lights on it. Plus I'm not as worried about humidity with it.

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2022, 05:28:03 PM »
Why do you need talking into? It sounds like you've already made your decision. I bought mine 2011 specifically for traveling and love it. Mine has been to Germany, Italy, Mexico, Hawaii, and several states here in the USA. It's easy to travel with, easy to play (even with medium guage strings), and sounds really big for a small guitar. "Just Do It!"

Here's a mahogany one on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/48537464-taylor-gs-mini-mahogany
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:30:34 PM by roadbiker »
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

TrampsLikeUs

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2022, 01:19:20 PM »
I liked my 1st one (GS MiniKOA) so much,  I bought a second.  I keep the second at my vacation cabin.  Along with 3 other guitars and an amplifier.  I love looking at the KOA models.  How different each one is.  The second was so pretty,  I couldn’t pass it up.  I already new how easily they played,  there portability,  and how good they sounded.  You made the right decision to get the GS Mini.
I do play them both a LOT !!
1985 Washburn D-12CE
2015 Ibanez Artcore AS73-TBC Electric
Washburn WCG66SCE GA Acoustic
Fender Statocaster SRV 1997 artist series
Taylor 856ce 12 string Indian Rosewood
Taylor K-14 2019 KOA Builder Edition
Taylor 2019 GS-Mini Koa  (2)
Taylor PS-18 2015 Tobacco Sunburst Sitka Spruce Top, W/ Brazilian Rosewood back/sides
Taylor GA Custom 2019 Sinker Redwood Top/ Cocobolo back/sides

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2022, 10:49:24 PM »
I made a very pleasant discovery that has rocked my dropped-tunings world, my wall-art mahogany GS mini plays amazingly well in dropped tunings. The 6th string sounds like a drum tuned down to as far as C and the shortened scale plays surprisingly well. I actually prefer it for some tunes over my larger, much more expensive Taylors.

IMHO, I've bought and sold a lot of guitars, but I will always have a GS mini. It's just so versatile.