Author Topic: NGD - Eye Candy  (Read 7827 times)

Bill R

NGD - Eye Candy
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
Hi Folks,
I picked up a new guitar right before Christmas, but it took me a while to get photos uploaded and figure out how to post them.  Thanks to dsamuel24 for the instructions he posted recently.  At any rate I figure most of the folks here are like me in that we all love to look at pics of pretty guitars and hear a bit about them, so here goes.

I was fortunate to get an R Taylor style 2 in 2008.  An interesting story about this guitar.  I had requested cocobolo without sapwood, but the R Taylor folks scrambled the request as wanting sapwood.  So...they found the nicest set of coco with sapwood.  I wasn't too keen on that, but the guitar sounded so good, I bought it anyway.  They were nice enough to recognize the error and knocked off the cost for the expression system.  I thought that was very generous of them.  It has a Swiss alpine spruce top, ebony binding and no inlay other than the abalone rosette.  I prefer guitars without much ornamentation.  It kind of lets the wood speak for itself.  This guitar has a very rich sound with tons of sustain and lovely overtones.  It's a very balanced guitar tone wise.  Here are a couple of pics of that guitar

Swiss alpine spruce top

Cocobolo in bright light.  The wood is actually darker than this, but this shows the figure nicely

Nice green heart abalone

The other side is nearly a mirror image of this one as far as the wood goes

The guitar I just received is another R Taylor style 2.  This one is figured Honduran mahogany and old growth redwood.  It has rosewood binding and no inlay other than the abalone rosette.  It has a totally different sound.  It's much warmer than the other guitar, very balanced, nice overtones, but not as much sustain or volume.  Of course it's brand new, so I anticipate it's tone will mature over time.  Here are a couple of pics of the new guitar.

In natural light

More or less natural light

This shows the wood under more natural light and is close to the actual color

A flash was used hear to highlight the flame

I'm quite pleased with the flamed mahogany they used for this guitar

Here's a closer look at the back.  Color is off, but it shows the flame nicely

R Taylor does use nice abalone

I hope you all enjoy the pics.  I'm certainly enjoying the guitars.

Happy new year to all!

Bill
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

davwir

• A Coco-nut
Re: NGD - Eye Candy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 04:28:38 AM »
Awesome guitars you have there Bill!
I personally love the sapwood in Coco...
I also have a Figured Mahogany/Redwood RT, but in a Style 1 with no cutaway..  really nice combo..

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:35:40 AM »
Hey Bill R.  You did very well in posting the pictures except that they only increase the GAS :)  Enjoy....
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »
Congrats on two beautiful guits!!  Especially that mahogany ...I rarely see flamed mahogany, and yours is beautiful!

On a different note, I find it interesting that you chose both in the Style 2 body.  I am a recent convert of the style 2 as I just got my engel/maple RT2 last month and am continually floored at how much this "little" guitar delivers.  These RT-2 are all amazing (I played maybe 4-5 other style 2s); all different flavors, but all amazing tone nevertheless, IMHO.  Enjoy!!

Edward

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
Wow! A couple af very nice guitars! Your new one has a back that reminds me of the back of my cello, a very valuable instrument that I recently sold to a very well-known, and world renowned cellist. My cello was made in 1933 by the world expert on the repair, reconditioning, and reproduction of Stradivarius instruments and mine was an exact replica of a Stradivarius. He made a lot of violins, but very few cellos and as a result they are rare and highly sought after. Here's a picture of the back. You'll notice the similarity in the wood grain...

Jim

1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Bill R

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »
Thanks for the kind thoughts folks. 

Edward, I know what you mean about the RT2's.  To be honest, though, the main reason I went with them as opposed to the style 1 is that I find the size much more comfortable, especially when playing seated with the guitar on my lap (which is most of the time).  What they may lack in volume they make up for in balance and gorgeous tone.  When I need to be loud, such as when playing at church, I simply plug into the PA.  I'd like to see some pics of your new RT2.

Jim, that is, indeed, a beautiful cello.  I'm guessing the wood is flamed maple??? I'm curious about why you sold it?

davwir, I'd like to see pics of your RT1 redwood/figured mahogany as well as a description of it's tone. 

Bill

2013 - John Greven OOO

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »
Bill R - Both of your guitars are beautiful! RT's are like individual works of art. Nice job with your photos and I do love those colorful rosettes! If you ever post a video or a sound clip of your guitars, I would really be interested :)
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
2 gorgeous, simply stunning guitars there Bill. I LOVE the sapwood in the 1st RT, and I am usually not a fan of sap. But yours is so distinctive, so well balanced on both the back and the sides... just fantastic. And the figured/flamed mahogany of the new RT is equally amazing. The rosewood binding matched with the most beautiful mahogany I have ever seen, and WOW what a nice piece.

I'm super happy someone got some use from my thread about posting pics from a hosting site... your pics look great!!

Thanks for sharing!  :)
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
Jim, that is, indeed, a beautiful cello.  I'm guessing the wood is flamed maple??? I'm curious about why you sold it?

I have a philosophy, a code if you will, that one must be worthy of one's possessions. For example: a ride a very expensive bicycle (over $3k) that I went to Italy to buy. I ride it between 2,000 and 3,000 miles per year, so I feel like I can justify having it (and the other 2 that I own :)). I also have very nice Taylor and Guild guitars. Now I may not be a professional, but I play them both frequently and get lot's of enjoyment out of them. I'm not too bad at playing them either, so I seel justified having them (and more when I get GAS again). In other words, I am worthy of having these things because I get much use and satisfaction from them. On the other hand, I stopped playing the cello many years ago. Not intentionally; it just happened. I never sold it because I thought (we all thought) that it was just an old cello. My mom was pestering me over the years to sell it, but i never did because I figured someday in retirement I would pick it up again. Then I found out what it was and waht it was worth and everything changed. This cello needed to be played by a professional cellist for his pleasure and that of his audiences. I was simply not worthy of having a valuable instrument like. I was, however, much more worthy of the cash :) so I sold it for a very good price.  After some charitable contributions and some other wise uses of the money, I used some of it to buy myself and my wife a nice gift each. Mine was the Taylor 814. Hers, as you can imagine, was jewelry.

I sold it to a very well  known cello and now it is being played around the world to the delight of many. I'll put it this way - if you like acoustic guitar music, then you know who James Taylor is; If you are a fan of classical chamber music, then you know this cellist. It was recently played in the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. On top of all that I have a great story to tell and pass down, and I have become freindly with the cellist and his wife with whom we remain in regular contact. He is delighted to have it, and I am happy that it found a god home with someone who can really appreciate it and is truly worthy of owning it.

And they all lived happily ever after.

BTW, I couldn't tell you what kind of wood was used, but I think flaming maple is a good guess.

Jim
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2015 Taylor 356ce
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »

I have a philosophy, a code if you will, that one must be worthy of one's possessions. For example: a ride a very expensive bicycle (over $3k) that I went to Italy to buy. I ride it between 2,000 and 3,000 miles per year, so I feel like I can justify having it (and the other 2 that I own :)). I also have very nice Taylor and Guild guitars. Now I may not be a professional, but I play them both frequently and get lot's of enjoyment out of them. I'm not too bad at playing them either, so I seel justified having them (and more when I get GAS again). In other words, I am worthy of having these things because I get much use and satisfaction from them. On the other hand, I stopped playing the cello many years ago. Not intentionally; it just happened. I never sold it because I thought (we all thought) that it was just an old cello. My mom was pestering me over the years to sell it, but i never did because I figured someday in retirement I would pick it up again. Then I found out what it was and waht it was worth and everything changed. This cello needed to be played by a professional cellist for his pleasure and that of his audiences. I was simply not worthy of having a valuable instrument like. I was, however, much more worthy of the cash :) so I sold it for a very good price.  After some charitable contributions and some other wise uses of the money, I used some of it to buy myself and my wife a nice gift each. Mine was the Taylor 814. Hers, as you can imagine, was jewelry.

I sold it to a very well  known cello and now it is being played around the world to the delight of many. I'll put it this way - if you like acoustic guitar music, then you know who James Taylor is; If you are a fan of classical chamber music, then you know this cellist. It was recently played in the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. On top of all that I have a great story to tell and pass down, and I have become freindly with the cellist and his wife with whom we remain in regular contact. He is delighted to have it, and I am happy that it found a god home with someone who can really appreciate it and is truly worthy of owning it.

And they all lived happily ever after.

BTW, I couldn't tell you what kind of wood was used, but I think flaming maple is a good guess.

Jim

Yo Yo Ma???  (closing eyes) please tell me yes...please tell me yes...
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 01:31:17 AM »
Bill R- as requested, here are some pix of my RT Style 1, Figured Mahogany and Redwood.. Bought it from an AGF member last year..
I think it sounds kinda like maple, very clear, and articulated, with some warmth from the top.. Not as "woody" as what I usually think of when I think hog..
But Im itching to try some different string variations on it soon too..

http://www.wirthwhilemusic.com/pix/RTaylor_Style1_FlamedMahogany_05.jpg http://www.wirthwhilemusic.com/pix/RTaylor_Style1_FlamedMahogany_02.jpg
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:03:47 PM by michaelw »

thebigz

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 02:04:53 AM »
I never knew that the lighter wood in coco was sapwood.  I think it looks great with the sapwood in there!

Bill R

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »
Jim...thanks for the really cool story.  I believe the cellist to whom you sold your cello recently received a Kennedy Center Honor - I watched the program on TV.  It must be nice to know that the instrument you played when you were younger is now in the hands of such a top professional.

Dave...thanks for the PM and these pics here.  That's a gorgeous guitar.  I read your description of the tone of your RT with interest.  The only other mahogany guitar I can compare my new RT to is my Taylor GA 12-string, and that's not a real comparison.  I know what you mean about a clear articulate tone with warmth.  The tone of my new RT is really growing on me.  Last night I put it in dropped D tuning and was mesmerized by the sound I got.  Certainly no shortage of bass in this guitar.

Bill

2013 - John Greven OOO

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 10:44:56 AM »
Wow, great story on the cello!  I feel the same about instruments, or hobbist toys: that somehow I must be "up to the task" of owning anything "that nice" ...no pro here in any of my playtime, but at least I can get by with big grins on my face :)

I've droned on and on enough about my RT2 love, so if you are interested in seeing some truly mediocre pics, but of a very lovely guitar (if I do say so myself), do a search for me here and check out my threads on my RTs and Custom DN.  Sure they are all pretty, but man I love the tones ...whoa!!!   

Enjoy those lovely RTs, man.  They sure are special!

Edward

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »

Yo Yo Ma???  (closing eyes) please tell me yes...please tell me yes...
[/quote]

Not Yo Yo Ma. But right up there with him. If it were Yo Yo Ma I would have gotten a lot more for it ;)

Jim
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2015 Taylor 356ce
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com