Author Topic: Checking IN!  (Read 20250 times)

Iplay2

Re: Checking IN!
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
Add my welcome to the list, and.........I'm a Maple Minority too,

Man! I just love the honeygold color on that 614!!!  And quilted maple is one of the most stunning figures I've ever seen in wood.
Here's mine again, the GSLJ (like a 610):

And here's a picture I found on another forum of someone's green 616. 

That blue is beautiful, but I don't know if I could handle that green everyday.  Thats a lot of green......

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »
Couldn't resist posting my maple as well....

Snaps ...YOU bought Mike's 614 out from under me?!!!

I'd be angry, but Mike's such a good guy that it'd simply be wrong on my part.  :)
My loss, your great gain, friend!  Enjoy that beauty in good health, man!  And if you're ever tire of if and become  interested in a lovely 410ce-L30...  :D

BTW, all this really is starting to look like that old, familiar place we used to call home.  Really great to see you all here!!

Edward

Oh no!  I'll make you a deal:  If I ever decided to sell, you will be the first person I contact!

Edward, I've got to hand it to you...you are such a gentleman and have handled this with grace and humility. When you started asking me questions about this guitar, I thought for sure you'd be the one to get it. Then when Iplay2 started asking me questions about it, initially I thought you had changed your mind.

Wherever this guitar goes, I'd love to follow it and keep track of who owns it if possible. It was hard to part with, but I'm glad to know there were a couple of people who really wanted it! In fact, it's the guitar in my avatar. :)
Cindy

Iplay2

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »
Wherever this guitar goes, I'd love to follow it and keep track of who owns it if possible. It was hard to part with, but I'm glad to know there were a couple of people who really wanted it! In fact, it's the guitar in my avatar. :)

I wouldn't plan on it going anywhere for a long time.  I just sold one of my Taylors and my Larrivee after I got this one, because it does what I need and want better than the 3 it replaced.

P.S. Cindy, your BTO is gorgeous.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »
looks like i almost missed the maple party ;)

this one has an engelmann top also -
after playing/hearing a 03 ps14LTD, i knew this was the way to go :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 06:31:09 PM »
michaelw, do you have more pix of your blue guitar?
What model exactly is it?

Gorgeous!   I thought my 2000 GSLJ was the only blue guitar Taylor had made, I'm interested in hearing more about yours.
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

resonator48

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »
I've owned two 614ce's. The first was the best of the two, but I sold it to my nephew after someone stole his guitar at his church. Pretty sad. He doesn't have much money, so I sold it really really cheap. The second 614ce just didn't have it. I've tried a bunch since, but can't find one with a decent bass response like my first 614ce had. Did Taylor change anything on the 614ce? I'd buy one in a heart beat if I could find one with a decent bass response.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
here a few more pics, kris ... btw, i think your GSLJ is beautiful (thumbs up)
it's a 2003 614cL2 (i left out the electronics & installed an LR Baggs Element active in it)

900 grade quilted maple (2 piece back with no centerstrip purfling), 'mastergrade' flamed maple neck

the L2 series came with a paua abalone rosette/edged top/fretboard inlays (more 'fiery' blue)

i requested that the binding be spec'd from the 600L1 model (black with white purfling)

the cutaway (treble) side

close up shot of the neck (these are old pics, the tuners are now nickel Grovers with ebony buttons)

i also requested to add the Artist Series headstock inlay (the white outline is the purfling line)

back of the headstock (the fingerjoint is visible, but the figuring bisects it pretty well - i like it :))

900 grade engelmann top - i liked the added warmth & 'smoothness' that the engelmann brings

last one

the first blue stained maple Taylor was finished by Larry Breedlove in 84 &
the Artist Series was offered from 85 to 89, in several transparent/solid finishes

from 90 to 97, i don't believe that a transparent blue stain was offered
as a regular option or on any special/LTDs (at least, i've never seen one)

in 98, the transparent blue finish option was added to the 600 series,
along with transparent red, purple, green & opague black

the Artlst inlay was used again on the 01 Fall 600 LTDs, with an abalone edged top -
cherry, honey & tobaccoburst finishes options were also added that year

in 03, Taylor did 3 LTD runs in a blueburst finish - the 600L2, the PSL5 & the NS64L1 -
oddly, the blue NS64 was designated L1 (the cherryblackburst 600s were also L1)

in 04, the blueburst finish was added as a standard finish option on the 600s & T5s

resonator -
the last few changes Taylor made on the 614ce were the
ES ver 2.0 9V 1 body sensor with discrete pre-amp in 10,
ES ver 1.0 9V 2 body sensors & scarfjoint headstock in 07 &
Standard II forward shifted bracing with relief rout in late 04

i have had a fair number of 614ce's & there were a couple that stood out in
mind that seemed a little lacking in the lower end & these had very tight,
straight grained tops (ironically both were 02 models, one with a-grade sitka) -
i would try to find one with a wider grain top & to a lesser degree, quilted back (esp 2 pc) & sides
may contribute a bit over flamed maple, as quilted maple is flatsawn, rather than quartersawn,
the back may be slightly more 'flexible' ... whether it is audibly difference or not is another question

also, depending on the year model of the 614ce, 98-00 models & the 96-97 614c had mahogany necks -
in 01, the switch was made to hard rock maple for the neck, along with a single ring abalone rosette

i would think there could possibly be some tonal difference with the change in neck wood,
again how discernable it was would depend on the person playing it & i'm pretty sure the
change from a 3 ring rosette to a single ring wouldn't affect the tone (but it could, i imagine ;) )
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:38:11 PM by michaelw »

support indie musicians

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »
I am very partial to blue and this is one beautiful blue acoustic ... from your descriptions and photos, though, it seems that you don't really like it all that much, right?    :) ;) :D ;D
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »
you're absolutely right ...

it's not bad

it's ok, i suppose

i guess i can live with it ;)

support indie musicians

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 11:22:56 PM »

it's not bad

it's ok, i suppose

WOW!!!

Michael, thank you so much for the additional pictures as well as the Taylor history lesson, I've been wondering about other dyed models ever since I saw the picture of that green 616 I posted in another thread.
Like you, I guess, just maybe, that I'm well, satisfied with my blue guitar.   ;)

After seeing your chromed tuners, I think I am going to swap out my gold-colored Schaller's for the chrome ones I bought that are sitting in my bench.  Looks very sharp!

Here's a few more pictures of my GSLJ, the ones with the black background are actually a different GSLJ shot by a pro, mine are the other ones.

(Obvious fingerjoint, but I don't mind, I like cabinetry and that's a sign of fine craftsmanship.  Your's does look better, though!)

Member #34
I'm not darth.

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »

it's not bad

it's ok, i suppose

WOW!!!

Michael, thank you so much for the additional pictures as well as the Taylor history lesson, I've been wondering about other dyed models ever since I saw the picture of that green 616 I posted in another thread.
Like you, I guess, just maybe, that I'm well, satisfied with my blue guitar.   ;)

After seeing your chromed tuners, I think I am going to swap out my gold-colored Schaller's for the chrome ones I bought that are sitting in my bench.  Looks very sharp!

Here's a few more pictures of my GSLJ, the ones with the black background are actually a different GSLJ shot by a pro, mine are the other ones.

(Obvious fingerjoint, but I don't mind, I like cabinetry and that's a sign of fine craftsmanship.  Your's does look better, though!)

Ohhhhhhhhh...I've always wanted one of the Koi guitars!  Maybe someday...

The one maple guitar I have is an '03 600-SPEC, no electronics.  A beautiful sound and what my wife calls the most beautiful guitar she's ever seen.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 12:20:23 AM »
WOW!!!

you're welcome -
thanks for posting the additional pics of your guitar ... the inlays are amazing-looking too :D

if you do end up swapping out the tuners, i'm hoping the chrome ones are a 'direct-fit'
because if for some reason you need to return it 'stock condition' you'll be able to do so

just in case you haven't seen it already, here's the link to your guitar
http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Archive/Older/gslj.html

it appears the gallery series were the first maple models to have maple NT necks
(the 600 series didn't get 'em until 01) ... i didn't know that (that's pretty cool :))
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:17:34 PM by michaelw »

support indie musicians

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 12:22:14 AM »
speaking of sub-types, I think it would be a terrible idea to have sub types by series. That will just disburse everyone...and us maple lovers will be in a corner talking quietly amongst ourselves
you make it sound as if it were a bad thing ;)

our 'rival gang' would probably be the 800s :D

can you imagine how cool the picture threads would be, though  ??? ;D

also, a great big warm
WELCOME !good to see you here :)

support indie musicians

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 12:59:59 AM »
Mmmmm...droool maple
if you love maple have a listen at my maple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBD2cgMZs1g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Not promoting

Rudals - I just listened to your Moon River - beautiful job. I too love the Taylor maple guitars and yours sounded delightful!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

rudals1281

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 09:25:23 AM »

Rudals - I just listened to your Moon River - beautiful job. I too love the Taylor maple guitars and yours sounded delightful!
[/quote]

Ah~
Thanks for the compliment! We need to create more presence on YouTube with our videos!
2008 Taylor 614CE