Author Topic: Taylor Service ES 2 Upgrade  (Read 10616 times)

Fellrunner

Re: Taylor Service ES 2 Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2022, 04:20:52 PM »
I keep seeing posts here and on the AGF about how bad the ES2 is - all I can say is that for me I really love the ES2. It's now been over 5 years since I upgraded my 2001 712ce to the ES2 (with the original preamp) (originally Fishman barn door equipped) and I still love it and personally have no regrets - see my post above in this thread. My guitars are very much tools to do a job so I'm not "precious" about them and I'm not at all worried about the 3 holes in the bridge. I play regularly through an AER Alpha and HK Audio Lucas Nano and other than a normal amount of EQ adjustment I have no problems getting a great sound. I have recently started playing in a large city church with a professional level PA system and experienced sound techs. They prefer my ES2 equipped 712 to my ES1.3 equipped 812. Neither need any tweaking other than at the main desk. It looks like I'm in the minority but felt I should add a little balance to the discussion!
2001 Taylor 712ce (with 2016 ES2 retrofit)
2011 Taylor 812ce
2018 Taylor 514ce V class

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Taylor Service ES 2 Upgrade
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2022, 10:41:17 PM »
No real disagreement, fellrunner!

FWIW, I personally feel there is a huge anti-Taylor sect "over there" so I rarely ever engage in those silly, tribal threads.  While I prefer my 1.3 to my ES2, I can and do make the ES2 sound perfectly good in the house with any decent console and PA.  It's a good system that all too many deride.  But if one knows sound, it's really not hard to get quality live acoustic tone from it.  Kudos! :)

Edward