Author Topic: Scenaries inside 4 acoustics (Taylor, Martin, Lakewood and Gibson)  (Read 17715 times)

Sprintbob

Re: Scenaries inside 4 acoustics (Taylor, Martin, Lakewood and Gibson)
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
The workmanship in the 914ce photos is night and day difference from every Taylor guitar I own. Show us a picture of the oval label with the serial number, my bet is that it is a counterfeit. All of my Taylors have interior finish details that are as clean as the pics of the Gibson, Martin, and Lakewood you show.
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Cocobolo)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »
I am changing strings today on my 514e FLTD.  Going from the HD lights to Mediums, decided to beef up the tone on it.  So when I saw this thread I decided to take a couple of photos inside and out.  I found no excess glue on bracing or otherwise.  Here you go a few photos of a 2013 F LTD

To me, this is pretty clean and well made.

I might add that Sprintbob is right, I have looked at my other Taylors, and none of them have such a mess going on in side of them.  Makes me wonder about the true identity of those pictures.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »
Yeah that's more like it. No making excuses for the poor glue job on that 900. If it were mine they would replace it or give me my money back. That is inexcusable, don't sugar coat it because it is a Taylor.

Sprintbob

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
If that guitar is confirmed through a check of the serial number to be a legitimate Taylor, I would advise that the owner should send those pics to Bob Taylor and Andy Powers. My guess (hope) is Bob would take it back and replace it in kind.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »
Interesting that this 914 seems to be unique in the over-gluing job...  But strangely comforting that it's apparently not the norm where Taylors are concerned!

I wonder if it's related to the apparent broken brace that was pointed out?  Possible repair job by a sloppy second-hand luthier...?
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

tedtan

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
Not sure what is going on with that 914 in the pics, but my 814ce is clean inside, so like most others here, I suspect something is not quite as it should be with that particular 914.

miksel

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »
The workmanship in the 914ce photos is night and day difference from every Taylor guitar I own. Show us a picture of the oval label with the serial number, my bet is that it is a counterfeit. All of my Taylors have interior finish details that are as clean as the pics of the Gibson, Martin, and Lakewood you show.
+1 on this.Those pics are far from typical for a Taylor. Mine are pristine. Mike S.

explorertele

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »
Having taken the Martin tour a multitude of times, I can tell you that they keep the glue down by not putting any extra in the joint in the first place. They don't clean it up after the fact. It adds no time to only put enough glue down. I was told that this takes a certain touch, and that not all assemblers have it.

BTW, if you get a chance, the tour is awesome. I hope to get to the Taylor tour someday. Living in Nazareth, I am close to one and far from the other.

Sprintbob

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 01:04:17 AM »
I changed the strings on my 522 tonight and stuck my phone in to take pics. Clean and pristine, no sign of excess glue residue anywhere. I'm totally convinced that 914 is not a legit Taylor.

madx2

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
I'm not a luthier (or play one on tv) but I think that 914 is a counterfeit.  Look at the difference in the shape of the top braces compared to mgap's 514.  No scalloping, so to speak. Just rough, crude rectangles of wood with a bevel at the end. 

Looking at the fretboard inlays, rosette and purfling, can anyone identify what year these details were available by Taylor?

What is the body wood? Any guesses?

If the owner contacts Taylor and it does turn out to be bogus, I hope he posts that information and clears their good name.  If it turns out to be authentic, I hope they give an explanation how such a thing could happen and "make it right" for him.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 07:44:53 AM »
It would be interesting to know where Hymm1984 got the pictures to start with.  I see that Hymms1984 has his watermark in the bottom righthand corner of all the pictures over another watermark that I can not read, it is not in English.   
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

tbeltrans

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 07:46:28 AM »
I looked inside my 2016 914ce and ... it is a Martin!!!!  Just kidding.  However I can seriously say that it looks nothing like that picture, so not all 900 series look like that.

Tony

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
I looked inside my 2016 914ce and ... it is a Martin!!!!  Just kidding.  However I can seriously say that it looks nothing like that picture, so not all 900 series look like that.

Tony
Love that first comment...haha.

My 914 looks nothing like that either.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »
It would be interesting to know where Hymm1984 got the pictures to start with.  I see that Hymms1984 has his watermark in the bottom righthand corner of all the pictures over another watermark that I can not read, it is not in English.   

I believe the script and website are written in Korean
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

madx2

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »
Hymn1984, where did you get these pictures?