Author Topic: Scenaries inside 4 acoustics (Taylor, Martin, Lakewood and Gibson)  (Read 17718 times)

hymn1984

A guy who owns Taylor 914CE, Martin OM28MCS, Lakewood M53CS and Gibson Hummingbird put his cellphone into the sound holes of these 4 acoustics, took some shots, and checked out their interiors. Here are the shots. What do you think?

Taylor 914CE:

To be continued.................................

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:25:05 AM by hymn1984 »

hymn1984

Re: Scenaries inside 4 acoustics (Taylor, Martin, Lakewood and Gibson)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:28:14 AM »
Martin OM28MCS

hymn1984

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:36:26 AM »
Lakewood M53C

hymn1984

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 07:40:43 AM »
Gibson Hummingbird

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »
that's really cool thx for sharing. it's neat to see the differences in the bracing. at the taylor factory tour, they have a top where you can see the bracing. i think you can also see the body internals too, but not assembled in this type of view

i also think this guy has some nice guitars :)
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 08:46:52 AM »
Wow, can't believe the amount of excess glue inside a high end Taylor and the Gibson isn't a whole lot better.

floyd80

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
The Taylor innards seems a bit messy.

MikeRGR

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
Hello All

About the 10th pic in on the Taylor does that look like a cracked brace on the right hand side

Just wondering

Take care
mike

Norm Gen

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
Hmmm, I'm disppointed in the sloppiness of this Taylor (and it's a high-end 900 series).  The Martin and Larrivee are clean, the workers took great care in the craftsmanship.  (Disclaimer: I have Taylors and Martins.)
Norman (couple of Taylors and Martins)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »
... About the 10th pic in on the Taylor does that look like a cracked brace on the right hand side...

I wondered that too... ???

Wow, can't believe the amount of excess glue inside a high end Taylor and the Gibson isn't a whole lot better.

The Taylor innards seems a bit messy.

Hmmm, I'm disappointed in the sloppiness of this Taylor (and it's a high-end 900 series).  The Martin and Larrivee are clean, the workers took great care in the craftsmanship...

The excess glue inside the Taylor was immediately apparent to me as well.  In fairness, though, few people bother to peer inside the guitar body; it's just not where the aesthetic focus is.  And cleaning up all that extra glue would require extra manpower -- which equates to a higher cost to the consumer.  I know Martin offers a "hide glue" option in their builds, so I can't help but wonder whether the Martin depicted in this thread has that option.  Exactly what benefit (short of aesthetics) the "hide glue" option would have is a bit of a mystery to me, since the Taylor folks are clearly doing something right with their guitar designs; I mean, we all keep buying them and raving about the tone, so the excess glue they leave on the inside apparently doesn't detrimentally affect the acoustical/vibratory properties of the body...

I'm also wondering if the newer 'eco' glues that Taylor is using on their redesigned lines simply require more of it to provide the same adhesive bond as the older glues...?  If so, there may be no good way around the excess glue except to account for the additional mass when designing the guitar...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Gjtalis

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
Bummer to see all that sloppiness in the Taylor, for me doesn't matter if you can't see it or not, cleanliness and attention to detail are things that distinguish Master craftsmanship from the norm....
Then again how much more would they charge for one of these things if they added another 2-3hrs to the build process :o
I'm kinda hoping that just his taylor is messy inside and not mine  ;D
1999 Taylor 912c
2004 Taylor XXX MC
1995 Taylor 512c
1996 Taylor 422K
2015 Taylor 314 RW LTD
2016 Taylor GS mini Koa
1971 Guild Mark III
Epiphone EL-00VS
Ovation 2778AX-NEB
Yamaha FG 700s

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
I've never seen a Taylor review in Acoustic Guitar Magazine that evaluated the fit and finish as anything less than pristine.  One wonders if some repair was involved in the photographed Taylor.  Wouldn't be surprised if Taylor reached out to the owner of the guitar in question.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »
Mmmmm. Gonna look inside my GC tonight. That Taylor looks horrible.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »
The excess glue inside the Taylor was immediately apparent to me as well.  In fairness, though, few people bother to peer inside the guitar body; it's just not where the aesthetic focus is.  And cleaning up all that extra glue would require extra manpower -- which equates to a higher cost to the consumer.  I know Martin offers a "hide glue" option in their builds, so I can't help but wonder whether the Martin depicted in this thread has that option.  Exactly what benefit (short of aesthetics) the "hide glue" option would have is a bit of a mystery to me, since the Taylor folks are clearly doing something right with their guitar designs; I mean, we all keep buying them and raving about the tone, so the excess glue they leave on the inside apparently doesn't detrimentally affect the acoustical/vibratory properties of the body...

I'm also wondering if the newer 'eco' glues that Taylor is using on their redesigned lines simply require more of it to provide the same adhesive bond as the older glues...?  If so, there may be no good way around the excess glue except to account for the additional mass  designing the guitar...
Nicely stated, Tim, I agree. I'm no luthier, but I will throw in my $.02. When I look into my guitars (peering through the soundholes), I see nothing but clean, well-constructed guitars (on ALL my Taylors, including my recently acquired 914). I have never gone to this effort to look at the inside tops of one of my Taylors. But, I can understand the curiosity by others to do so. I do know that nothing here changes my opinion of the build quality of Taylor guitars. What Bob and Andy have done has made me a proud owner. Thanks, but I'm good!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:13:24 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »
I am changing strings today on my 514e FLTD.  Going from the HD lights to Mediums, decided to beef up the tone on it.  So when I saw this thread I decided to take a couple of photos inside and out.  I found no excess glue on bracing or otherwise.  Here you go a few photos of a 2013 F LTD

To me, this is pretty clean and well made.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.