Author Topic: Doyle Dykes with Fender(Guild) and now Ren Ferguson leaves Gibson for Fender  (Read 13659 times)

darylcrisp

i think something big is up

d

dkoloff

Saw about Ren Ferguson.....what is Doyles position with Fender and has he cut ties completely with Taylor?
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
That's a huge loss for Gibson. Ren is Gibson Montana. As a fan of both brands, sometimes I wish Taylor would buy Gibson and fire all their executives.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
i'm wondering if Doyle might start playing a F-47C based
guitar with the D-tar, or some other custom pick up system,
or perhaps a model that was designed by Ren Ferguson  ???

Guild has standard cocobolo models now, with some pretty cool designations -
the GSR F-40 sounds like it could be a sport bike & a sports car, all rolled into one :D

at any rate, i'm pretty sure that Taylor & Gibson will remain separate entities

i'm not sure which would be more marketable - a Tayson or a Giblor ???
as either one sounds, to me, like it could be a chicken or a turkey ;)

my friend had a chance to play an 84 Taylor 510K over the weekend &
he thought it was quite reminiscent in tone & feel (square- shoulder)
to an older Gibson Hummingbird that his father-in-law once owned ...
i thought that was kind of cool 8)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
I'd heard that Ren left Gibson, but not that Doyle has officially partnered with Fender. Is there something, somewhere, which confirms that?

Maybe something that a lot of people don't realize, but Doyle is a monster on a Telecaster. If he's going to go with Fender, I'd like to see him go that route as opposed to something acoustic.
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Terry

Doyle going to Guild will have far more impact on that brand than his loss to Taylor will have. He's a wonderful ambassador for whoever he may endorse.
Not that I think this is relative to either brand, but whenever I see an ad for someone endorsing what we would probably consider a lesser or inferior brand I think of a comment I read on a forum some time ago by a luthier who often built custom one-offs for artists, using dimensions and logos of these lesser brands, with the result being the stage instruments being used were only in name and not an instrument that had even seen the brands shop.
You have to always remember why it's called "Show Business".
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
Doyle has been with Taylor for so long, I think him endorsing any other brand would be viewed with some skepticism. It just doesn't seem right. It's like "The Price Is Right" without Bob Barker. It's just not the same.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:16:23 AM by Left Coaster »

Brian Swerdfeger @ Taylor

Wow - that's big news about Ren! He is a long time friend of Taylor and we really wish him well.

Re: Doyle
We're still friends, too! In November we gave Doyle a big check for his TV show, and we look forward to cheering him on in his new season. We have chosen to support the show in lieu of doing Doyle clinics in guitar stores. It's a positive change, and I really hope the show gets him the broader exposure he deserves.

Cheers,
B

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
Maybe something that a lot of people don't realize, but Doyle is a monster on a Telecaster. If he's going to go with Fender, I'd like to see him go that route as opposed to something acoustic.

Amen to that.  If Doyle's going to sport Fender acoustics then he might as well buy a Zorro hat and some sunglasses and duet with Esteban. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

darylcrisp

I'd heard that Ren left Gibson, but not that Doyle has officially partnered with Fender. Is there something, somewhere, which confirms that?

here's the breaking news post from the AGF concerning Doyle/Fender:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233937&highlight=doyle+dykes+leaving+taylor
take note of #37 and #60, #61 posts in that thread (tonelounge is Brian S from Taylor-i think)

d

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233937&highlight=doyle+dykes+leaving+taylor
take note of #37 and #60, #61 posts in that thread (tonelounge is Brian S from Taylor-i think)

d
hmm ???
if post #37, which was posted nearly a month & a half ago, is correct, then i would venture to guess that
there may still possibly be a 4 1/8" deep, sitka/maple grand auditorium florentine cutaway model
with LR Baggs Hexaphonic pick up & abalone top purfling offered, but without the offset 'Chet-style'
fretmarkers & rose headstock inlay ??? perhaps it will be offered in other finishes as well - like ... blue ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

darylcrisp

some history concerning Doyle, the DDSM model Taylor, and me.

a smallish mom/pop store in asheville NC(Musiciansworkshop) was where i first learned of Taylor guitars.

i had been playing around 6 months and had a teacher, had a Guild GAD30 and the instrument was killing me. the strings were so high it was unreal-but at the time i didn't know that. the local shop(in my home town of Virginia) sold the import Guilds and Alvarez. The shop owner had/and still has, his actions very high. He does not advocate dropping the action or adjusting relief. I remember the GAD30 came with a truss rod wrench(allen head) and he removed it from the case the day i purchased it and said he was doing me a favor. now i know different. but at the time i was reading and looking(didn't know about forums at the time) and decided to check out Martins and Larrivee. I didn't care for any of the Martins(again, high action and dead rusted strings everywhere i went) and found the closest shop for Larrivee to be Musicians Workshop-about 2 hours away. I made the trek.

I arrived and went into the sectioned off room containing Larrivee and this brand i knew nothing about-Taylor. after 2-3 hours of playing every Larrivee they had(and only knowing some chords and 1 song at the time) i just wasn't feeling it. I was getting ready to leave when the store worker came in and said i should try a taylor-i wasn't too interested as i was pretty brain dead from the already mega session i had went thru-not to mention my newbie fingers were quite sore. i aimlessly removed a taylor from the wall and sat down. played it and went WOW! it was like magic, it felt so good, sounded so good. Unfortunately i had to leave immediately to drive the 2 hours and arrive at my work. i took a Wood and Steel copy and some other info and knew i would be back in a few days. as i was leaving, the shop worker, his name was "shua"(short for Joshua), told me i should come that saturday to see a man named Doyle Dykes. "shua" said he would hold me 2 tickets as they were limited to around 70(the event to be held at the store). he told me i would be blown away and that they were getting more Taylors in for the show. I was hooked and baited. "shua" was at the time dating Haley(Doyles daughter), there is probably a Youtube of them both if you type in Haley Dykes and shua(maybe Joshua).

I returned that saturday and brought the girlfriend. Shua met me at the door and handed me ticket # 1 and #2. i got us two front row seats(mistake #1). and went back into the guitar room with all the taylors. folks were coming in and the room had about 5-6 people in and out at all times. it was hard to hear well with everyone playing/talking, and i was trying to figure out all the different models. i then saw it. the DDSM. they had brought in 3 of them, one solid black(loved it), one natural, and one orange(which was shua's that he would receive that night). it got near concert time and everyone went to thier seats-i found it to be the time to head back to the guitar room to do more private time with the Taylors. i was in there with a 312 and i'll never forget the short stocky man walk in and sit down near me. he was drinking a bottled water and looked over and started talking to me. complimented my playing-i told him i had only been at it for 6 months or so(was playing Dust in the Wind-well, attempting). the man pulled off a taylor from the wall and show'd me a series of notes and chords for that song. he thanked me for my company and walked out-turned before leaving and said, "those Taylors are real nice guitars" and i agreed. he could play really good and i liked it that he played with no pick. i heard the music start and hung the 312 back up-was looking for the DDSM's but they were all gone. i went back to my seat and low and behold the man who had been in the room with me was Doyle himself(i had never seen the man till then). of course he played awesomely and LOUD(i wanted front row seats to watch his hands). he ended up playing the black and natural DDSM, shua and Haley came on stage and all three played(shua had his orange DDSM), Haley had her mandolin.

After the concert i knew i wanted a DDSM, the black one had been sold so i took the natural.
so here i ended up with a stage monster guitar and didn't know it. came home and loved the feel and shorter depth, but in the end it just wasn't an outright acoustic guitar like i was wanting-i traded it, but it was a very cool guitar.

so thats my story and i'm sticking to it.
d

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography

d

Sorry, but that's nothing more than speculation. It may turn out to be accurate, but it may not. Brian's post certainly doesn't say anything about Doyle and Fender, just about Doyle and Taylor.

Is there anything, at this point, which confirms that Doyle's inked a deal with Fender?

jalbert

• I should be practicing
Is there anything, at this point, which confirms that Doyle's inked a deal with Fender?

The only evidence I'm aware of, and it is circumstantial, is that for his Christmas video greeting, Doyle was playing a Gretsch and wearing a Guild pullover. Both are Fender companies. In years past he would've been playing one of his Taylor signature models.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
Doyle did visit the Guild factory some time late last year.  That's one of their standard work shirts he is wearing in the vid.  I got one myself when I took a tour.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw