Author Topic: "Maybe your ears are tired"  (Read 1416 times)

Jannie

"Maybe your ears are tired"
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »
I was texting a good friend who also plays guitar, I told him that every morning my new GC3 just sounds simply incredible, I cannot believe I got so lucky, and admittedly I play/pick very well the first half of the day. I am retired so I pick up the guitar off and on all day unless I go out.

But by evening not only is my playing really sloppy (of course I then try harder because old habits of a super-achiever return when it comes to accomplishments) but my wonderful guitar sounds pretty much like a Kleenex box, not even in a funky blues kind of way but more like a cardboard box.

So I'm confessing to my friend that maybe I'm just so used to playing tired now that I don't really notice it and it's affecting what's coming out of the guitar too.

His response was, "maybe your ears are tired".   There maybe something to that but it's frustrating because there are no great books to read around here this evening and I don't watch TV, so naturally I have the time and I want to play...

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: "Maybe your ears are tired"
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »
Ears get tired, fingers get tired, and the brain gets tired: any of these on their own, let alone together, can create less-than-wonderful results.  When I feel like I'm just slopping around on the fretboard, I will either just put the guitar down, or do something perfunctory like work on scales or intervals; something mindless that will hopefully reinforce muscle memory.  The next day brings new opportunities (I swear I did not read that off a fortune cookie ;) ).

Edward