Author Topic: Hello from the frozen north  (Read 4167 times)

the52blues

• My News Is Blues!
    • Downtown Freddy Brown
Hello from the frozen north
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:16:45 AM »
Hi there. I live in Brampton, Ontario, Canada and am new to this forum. I just recently bought my first Taylor a few months ago, kind of an early Xmas present to me. I bought the Doyle Dykes deluxe model (DDX) and just love it. I am not new to guitars though and own several working as a performer and teacher. I also tune pianos on the side so happily employed in the music business.
Taylor DDX
El Degas MT19
Martin DXK2AE Koa
Washburn custom J28 Jumbo
Yamaha 720 12 string
Epiphone Joe Pass archtop
Fender Tele
Framus 5 string banjo
Vantage 700 series 4 string bass
several ukulele
Bose L1 Compact PA

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hello from the frozen north
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:31:50 AM »
Welcome the52blues! :) Since you've obviously played many guitars over the years, what was it about the Doyle Dykes that said Pick Me, Pick Me!!!
Cindy

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »
Hello the52blues from the warm south.

Glad to have you here.  I hope you enjoy your stay here with us.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:43:31 PM »
Delighted that you have joined the forum, the52blues! If I remember, right, you are just a bit north of Oakville. I traveled to that region regularly on business for several years and was very familiar with the local Tim Hortons :-) Wow - a DDX is a great guitar to enter the world of Taylor with. Any chance you can post some pictures for us in the photo thread on the main forum? I would love to see your guitar :)
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

the52blues

• My News Is Blues!
    • Downtown Freddy Brown
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:03:59 PM »

My Taylor DDX Doyle Deluxe.
Taylor DDX
El Degas MT19
Martin DXK2AE Koa
Yamaha 720 12 string
Fender Tele
Framus 5 string banjo
several ukulele
Bose L1 Compact PA

the52blues

• My News Is Blues!
    • Downtown Freddy Brown
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »
Welcome the52blues! :) Since you've obviously played many guitars over the years, what was it about the Doyle Dykes that said Pick Me, Pick Me!!!

I think Doyle is an incredible guitarist and I would love to have a DDSM however I don't have 5 grand. Then they came out with the DDX. It looks very similar. I really like the black gloss finish. I was a little worried that since it has laminate back and sides but after playing up against an 814 in the store I was unable to hear any difference...and I'm a piano tuner so my ears are trustworthy! My guitars really get a workout both in traveling and performing and laminate stands up way better in my situation and the price? Wow what a deal!
Taylor DDX
El Degas MT19
Martin DXK2AE Koa
Yamaha 720 12 string
Fender Tele
Framus 5 string banjo
several ukulele
Bose L1 Compact PA

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:57 PM »
Your DDX is one sharp looking guitar! Nice photo as well.
2007 Taylor 612ce

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 01:32:33 AM »

I think Doyle is an incredible guitarist and I would love to have a DDSM however I don't have 5 grand. Then they came out with the DDX. It looks very similar. I really like the black gloss finish. I was a little worried that since it has laminate back and sides but after playing up against an 814 in the store I was unable to hear any difference...and I'm a piano tuner so my ears are trustworthy! My guitars really get a workout both in traveling and performing and laminate stands up way better in my situation and the price? Wow what a deal!
hi 52blues,
good to see you here & congrats on the DDX - classy looking guitar in 'piano black' & a great pic too :)

i was able to compare a DDX & a 214ce a few months ago & i could hear a difference between the two, with the DDX
being a bit 'crisper', perhaps due to the maple inner & outer laminate, rather than sapele inner laminate on the 214ce -
it is a very nice sounding, playing & looking guitar, imho & the aesthetics features really add to the overall value as well

thanks for sharing & we look forward to hanging out with you here :D

WELCOME !
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

the52blues

• My News Is Blues!
    • Downtown Freddy Brown
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »
I was able to compare a DDX & a 214ce a few months ago & i could hear a difference between the two, with the DDX
being a bit 'crisper', perhaps due to the maple inner & outer laminate, rather than sapele inner laminate on the 214ce -
it is a very nice sounding, playing & looking guitar, imho & the aesthetics features really add to the overall value as well

Maple gives an extra punch you can't get from mahogany, sapele or even rosewood. I have a custom Washburn jumbo with quilted maple back and sides with a cedar top. That is my favorite construction. The cedar top brings a little more balanced response to the maple back and sides. Someday, when I have the money, I will order a custom Taylor with those woods. here's a pic of the washburn:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:38:31 AM by the52blues »
Taylor DDX
El Degas MT19
Martin DXK2AE Koa
Yamaha 720 12 string
Fender Tele
Framus 5 string banjo
several ukulele
Bose L1 Compact PA

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 01:50:37 PM »
WOW, that Wash is nice!! I have gotten so biased towards Taylor's headstock shape and bridge shape that I just can't look at other guitars with as much appreciation in those 2 areas, so a Taylor in these same woods would in fact be an amazing beauty! (But I'd be almost willing to take that Washburn looker off your hands, even with the more "flowery" peghead and bridge, b/c of how beautiful she is on that top and back.)  :)  Nice git.

AND I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your DDX... other than a GSmini (if they ever come out with a venetian cutaway), the next Taylor I will hone in on will be a gorgeous DDX, just like yours. Welcome!
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  As you've found, Taylor knows how to make a good laminated guitar. Enjoy it!
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 10:50:18 PM »
Wow - that is some insane quilting on your Washburn! Looks like you also have a nice fretboard inlay there. Thanks for posting that picture.
2007 Taylor 612ce

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum from 'way down South' in Minnesota!!! (How often do I get to say that??? ;) )

Nice guitar there!  Interesting to hear your thoughts about maple and cedar, very intriguing!
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

revster

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »
welcome fellow Canuck, but even better ontarioan. I have been trying to get the local guitar shop to bring Doyle to my little town. Still hoping.  I really like the  black for the DDX.

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
Hello the52blues,

A nice intro my friend.  Your bio indicates your experience with music and I look froward to gaining some more insight about music as I read your posts...
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16