Author Topic: 9v batteries do not fit in holder  (Read 6407 times)

johnhpower

9v batteries do not fit in holder
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
Am I the only one who has run into this issue?  The Duracell 9v fits perfectly in the holder of my 414CE but other brands I have tried look the same size but are slightly to big to fit.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: 9v batteries do not fit in holder
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:25:44 PM »
This has been discussed often over the years.  Battery manufacturers, for some reason, design their 9v batteries slightly larger or smaller than Duracell's.  The recommendation:  use Duracells, since that's what Taylor's battery harness is designed for.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:56:11 PM »
Like Dennis said, unless you're in Europe then it's is a different story.

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
I've used Duracells and Energizers (as well as Energizer "Pro Packs" which are simply the ones marked for "industrial" sale like pro music or lighting) without issue.  Of late, I've simply bought a pack of em at Costco and I'm good for a while :)

Edward

Huw1952

PaulWood

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 06:28:08 AM »
I live in the UK and started a thread entitled 'Battery Issues', less than a year ago, from memory. I'm not sure anything is guaranteed in respect of battery sizes. All sizes given by manufacturers for 9v batteries have a plus/minus 1mm tolerance - which, on the 'plus' side, is all it takes to give a bad fit (Taylors suggest cutting off the top of the battery holder). I got a supply from Battery Junction in the US. They sell 'Made in US' Duracells at a very reasonable price (take care to specify 'Made in US' as they sell Far Eastern-made Duracells as well. They're 10 cents cheaper but are much less likely to fit). The problem, for us Brits, is the postage cost. Luckily, I had a friend in the States at the time, so I had the batteries addressed to him and he brought them back when he came. Even the internal-US postage almost doubled the cost of the batteries (I bought 12) but at something like $2 each they are still a lot cheaper than good quality Duracells bought in the UK. There is a shop near Bournemouth called 'Guitar Mania' which used to advertise Duracells to fit Taylor guitars at £4.95 each - so that might be a quick fix, if you are desperate. Hope that helps.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 07:20:22 AM »
For those in the UK, the last couple of Energizer batteries I've bought from Wilko have fitted ok.

Cheers

Eddie
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

johnhpower

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 10:17:58 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I did a search for "9v battery" and found nothing relevant hence the post.

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
I find the lithium 9v fit well, and they last forever.   No worries about to much time passing, etc.   

NavyChap

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
Does anyone use "rechargeable" batteries???
2015 Taylor 314ce
1997 Taylor 414ce
2005 Zager ZAD50CE
2016 Seagull S6 Original
2016 Epiphone PR-5E/N

PaulWood

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 06:12:30 AM »
I was warned off of rechargeable batteries when I first got my 614ce. It was a used guitar when I bought it and within 3 months the electrics stopped working. When the Taylor authorised repairer looked at it, the battery compartment was totally caked up from leaking batteries in the past (it had a 'regulation' Duracell fitted when I bought it, so this had happened over a period of time). Result: £150 repair bill for a new battery holder - not covered by warranty because non-approved batteries had been used. A cautionary tale?!