Author Topic: NGD - 2010 Taylor 315ce... I drove from Denver to Rapid City to get her!  (Read 8174 times)

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
Hey all - I posted this over at the AGF on 12/28/2011, 2 days BEFORE the big sub-forum deletion fiasco, and now it's 14 pages deep in the General Acou Git Discussion. I wanted to share it over here, with my fellow TAYLOR enthusiasts, so it can be appreciated for more than just "another new guitar".  :D

------------------------

I figured since the Taylor sub-forum is moving over here in short order, I'd post in the general area for all to see. As the proud owner of a 2004 Taylor 615ce L30 (30th Anniversary Limited Edition Honeyburst) that I bought from a guy here on the AGF back in 2008, I have been longing for another Taylor Jumbo with a different tonewood, and most likely a 315 or a 415 that is less expensive and not as "blingy" or well appointed so that I wouldn't worry about dings or wear and tear from playing in and playing out. Although I have (carefully) used my 615ce L30 for the last 3 years as my main gigging guitar, I am constantly concerned that this gorgeous creature is going to encounter some damage somehow and I would be very disappointed if that were to happen.

So when we were visiting my wife's family in Rapid City SD just before Thanksgiving, I spent time in both locations of the biggest guitar/music store in the state (maybe the region), called Haggerty's Musicworks. I rarely find a Jumbo guitar in a big-box guitar store, and even if there are some Jumbos, there are hardly ever (I would say never, based on my experience) any Taylor Jumbos. But in Haggerty's downtown store, lo and behold, there was a brand new 315ce that jumped off the wall at me. I played her for over an hour and decided that I had found my "workhorse" and all I needed to do was figure out how to pay for her.

Back home to Denver and decided to liquidate 3 guns and a Hamer Archtop Jazz guitar on eBay and GunBroker, which all went very well, and now I have my cash together to go pick her up today. I sent them a $500 pmt to hold her before Christmas (I was so relieved when they said the guitar was still there and had not sold) and so all that's left is the almost 800 mile round trip drive... leave at 8 am and back home around 10 pm (at least that's the plan).

Why not have it shipped? My wife is asking the same question. Gotta get on the road now, so I'll be back later tonite or tomorrow to update and answer the question about driving all the way up there vs having it shipped, plus I'll post the requisite pics then too.

Whoohoo!! :D

Here's a couple pics the dealer sent...

Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
Re: NGD - 2010 Taylor 315ce... I drove from Denver to Rapid City to get her!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
And my next post on the AGF, after I picked the 315ce up and had her back home...

------------------------

Left at 9:30 am, after getting 2 of my kids off snowboarding with their uncle, then taking my stepson over to where his mom was housesitting, then fueling up for the trip. Got to Haggerty's in Rapid City at 3:45 pm. Played her and A/B'd her against my 615ce (she sounds AMAZING) for a bit, then paid and loaded back up for home. Left Rapid City at 4:15 pm and got home in Aurora at 10:45 pm. The wind was horrible along I-25 from the WYO state line in and from Orin Jct back to CO on the way back (much worse earlier in the day on the way out).

I decided to drive instead of having them ship the guitar to me because:
1) I got it TODAY. Instead of having to wait for the pmt to clear (not long if by CC, admittedly) and for the Ground shipment to get here (at least several days), I have my new baby today. That's cool.
2) I was assured of absolutely NO damage in shipment. I loaded her into my Suburban and drove her all the way home... in perfect condition.
3) I wanted to meet the guy I had been dialoging with over the phone and email (Daniel)... cool guy, very helpful and appreciative of my business.
4) I got to take a road trip with my 16 year old son and spend the day talking with him and listening to the music he likes (Into It. Over It., The Wonder Years, All Time Low, The Progress, etc.), which is always time well spent.

The downside is the $150 or so I spent on gas, but subtract the $50-75 it would have cost to ship, and throw in the $15 set of strings Daniel gave me for driving from Denver, and the gas only cost me about $70... well worth it for the satisfaction of having my new guitar today, in perfect shape, and getting to spend all day with my son.

Here's my new baby on the wall in my room-humidified office.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:09:16 PM by dsamuel24 »

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:00:01 PM »
And the post with more pics...

------------------------

Here are some more freshly taken pics of the 315ce.

Next to my 615ce...

So beautiful...

Baby got back...

Requisite headstock pic...

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »
And finally...

------------------------

Yeah it was "dumb" by conventional wisdom, and certainly somewhere between Lusk, WY and the SD state line I began to ask myself, "What the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks are you doing?!", but it worked out great and the time spent with my son WAS the best part of the whole thing. :)

ONE GREAT TIDBIT THAT I FORGOT TO MENTION EARLIER... I am a wack-job when it comes to my favorite number, which is 24. As you can see by my username/handle, 24 is very important to me (all my phone numbers, my personalized license plate, my basketball jerseys back in school, all 24). So, when I saw back in October that the S/N of this 315ce ended in 24, I was shocked, amazed and thrilled, and it was one more "sign" (along with the tone, play-ability and awesome looks, plus it being in my wife's home town) that this was the right guitar for me!

Just another small add to an already strange tale.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
That's absolutely amazing, Dustin! You get 17-18 mpg from your Suburban!!! ::) I thought they got les mpg's than that. ;D

Seriously, after you've had some time to get acquainted with your newest guitar, would you post an audio clip? I love the sound of sapele and would imagine that a jumbo model would have some incredible tone to it! I've only heard the GA and DN sizes of sapele. :( Congrats on a wonderful guitar! :)
Cindy

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »
That's absolutely amazing, Dustin! You get 17-18 mpg from your Suburban!!! ::) I thought they got les mpg's than that. ;D

Seriously, after you've had some time to get acquainted with your newest guitar, would you post an audio clip? I love the sound of sapele and would imagine that a jumbo model would have some incredible tone to it! I've only heard the GA and DN sizes of sapele. :( Congrats on a wonderful guitar! :)
hi Cindy,
i had 04 'burban also (2WD 5.3 V8, 3.73 rear axle) & i would get 17 to 18 mpg :)
fully loaded with passengers & gear or just me - on E85, it dropped to under 14 :(

congrats on the 315ce & thanks for sharing your story with us, Dustin -
since you have a Suburban, i was wondering if you are Jeff Gordon fan

when i used to follow nascar, back in the day, DJ in the 88 car is who i liked ...
then he started driving for the big brown truck, but by then i'd stopped watching races
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »
dsamuel24,

I loved taking the journey with you and your son.  I felt like I was right there with you and feel I can hear the guitar through your storyline.  Congratulations on teh new arrival :)
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »
800 miles for a guitar?

That guitar didn't jump out at you. That guitar jumped off the wall and tackled you!

Congrats!
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

Jannie

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »
This is great, and I understand all of it only I'd do it in two days. But mostly being able to spend the time with your son is just so cool.

Justiceandmercy

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
awesome story, awesome guitar... sounds like a keeper... I have a feeling if the opportunity presented itself to me like this i'd be doing the same thing hehe, it's all about the journey

SoloTaylor

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 12:21:10 AM »
That looks to be a great guitar. Congrats.

Cheers,

Solo

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 01:35:20 AM »
Dustin, I really enjoyed your story on your guitar. I can also understand the desire to just go get it yourself. I can be impatient when I've made a decision to get something like this and would also be tempted to do the same (I did, in fact. I bought an engine for my Mustang from a guy in Pennsacola, FL and drove (with a friend) nonstop from MI there and back to pick it up!). Also, the time spent with your son, the nice visit you had with him and the fun road trip atmosphere no doubt made for a really special and memorable day. Now you've got yourself a beautiful second guitar for playing out. Well done and thanks for sharing your neat story  :)
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 06:51:01 AM »
Thanks for all the great replies! My son and I had a great time and, although I was super stressed on the way out there due to the high winds that were blowing hard against the side of my high profile vehicle (and my 16 year-old son driving  :) ), it was well worth it and I have a great story to tell.

Here is a pic of my son playing the new 315ce.

He's a great musician... plays acou & elect git (lots more intricate stuff than I can play), drums, bass, some keys, and he does great work on his DAW. I've been able to support his calling for music and we have a whole studio downstairs with the control room in his bedroom and the live room in the next room over (not highly sound treated, but getting there). All we need now is a window installed between the 2 rooms. BUT, the Taylors stay upstairs in my office unless he's actually tracking.  ;D

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 07:11:20 AM »

That's funny Cindy, that you should (lightheartedly) focus in on the MILEAGE I get in my Suburban right off. Yeah, I LOVE my 2008 black LT2, but the one thing I hate is the 14.5-15 MPG I get around town. On road trips, however (to Houston TX for my 2 girls who live there w/their mom, or to SD for guitars  ;D ) I get 17.5+ and have gotten as high as 19. Still, $90-105 every week at Shell or Conoco is one of the worst parts of my budget.

I will definitely try to get something posted (or linked to), either sound clips or video or both, with the 315. I am a perpetual doubter if audio (from audio or video recording) can actually capture the "real" sound of an acoustic guitar, but it's worth a shot. FWIW, I think I heard the the 300 series as of late (within the last 2-4 years?) has been switched from SAPELE to AFRICAN MAHOGANY in order to distinguish it from the 100 series and the GSmini, both of which use Sapele... at least that's what I heard (but it was on the AGF, so all bets are off as to the reliability of the info  :o ).

hi Cindy,
i had 04 'burban also (2WD 5.3 V8, 3.73 rear axle) & i would get 17 to 18 mpg :)
fully loaded with passengers & gear or just me - on E85, it dropped to under 14 :(

congrats on the 315ce & thanks for sharing your story with us, Dustin -
since you have a Suburban, i was wondering if you are Jeff Gordon fan

Yeah, E85 is great for $/gal at the pump, but then MORE than makes up for the initial savings by dropping already sketchy mileage down by 4-6 mpg. I thought the FlexFuel E85 thing was gonna be cool... until I tried it.  >:(  Never again. AND YES, I am a Gordon fan, both b/c I like him and, most importantly, for the number he sports. I'm not a car racing fan, but if I ever do watch, I'm always pulling for Jeff Gordon (even when he's not in the race).  8)

awesome story, awesome guitar... sounds like a keeper... I have a feeling if the opportunity presented itself to me like this i'd be doing the same thing hehe, it's all about the journey

Justiceandmercy (cool user ID/handle - I used to be in a band called "Divine Justice"... 15+ years ago). YEAH, it IS all about the journey, and I don't just mean going to pick up a guitar.  :D

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 07:41:48 AM »

That's funny Cindy, that you should (lightheartedly) focus in on the MILEAGE I get in my Suburban right off.

Hee-hee! I always loved math, and as soon as I started reading your post, the wheels started turning in my head. ::)

You mentioned the high winds with your son driving...parts of the New Jersey turnpike don't have any trees or buildings on the sides for protection. During high winds, they sometimes ban trailers and motorcycles. I've found that when I open both back side windows about 4", it allows some of the air to pass through the vehicle which stops most of the buffeting from happening. Of course during heavy rains, this isn't the best thing to do. If no one is riding in the back, the cold air shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Your son sounds like an exceptional young man with all his musical talent! :)
Cindy