Author Topic: 2016 Taylor GS Mini; question on changing string size  (Read 1941 times)

outwestbound

2016 Taylor GS Mini; question on changing string size
« on: June 15, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »
Hi. I called Taylor about changing the stock mediums to light strings. I know that the neck was designed for the foot pounds of the mediums, so I called. Taylor guy said go ahead and change to light strings and if in a couple months the neck comes out, it would only be a very small adjustment.

I have no intention of using any other string size but light.

But not it doesn't sound right, so I wonder if the intonation is out such that I should have it adjusted at a shop. Has anyone else changed to lighter strings on the Mini and had intonation issues?

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Re: 2016 Taylor GS Mini; question on changing string size
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 09:44:10 PM »
I have a GS Mini hog and the tonal difference between the mediums and lights is dramatic.  Much better with the mediums.  I also find the guitar plays much better with the mediums, but I've become used to them and the looser string tension makes them even easy to bend if that's your thing.  One thing you could do is try light/mediums which are medium bass string and light trebles, or you may even do the reverse and try the HD strings with the light bass strings and medium trebles.  Let us know how it goes!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »
I have a GS Mini hog and the tonal difference between the mediums and lights is dramatic.  Much better with the mediums.  I also find the guitar plays much better with the mediums, but I've become used to them and the looser string tension makes them even easy to bend if that's your thing.
I agree. I thought I'd prefer lights too, but gave the mediums a try. Love them. The mediums are quite easy to get used to, because of the lower string tension. Give it a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

outwestbound

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 06:33:34 AM »
Thanks. The Mini came with and was set up to work with mediums. I just got it a couple weeks ago. I'm a beginner so I figured lights would be easier. But you all say, the tension is less due to the shorter scale, so I'm going back to the mediums to avoid problems. Even with an untrained ear, the tone is way off now with the lights. We're heading to Alaska in an RV and I'd rather avoid the guitar getting out while up there, because I've changed the strings.

I've got a Korg GA-30 and a TM-50. I need to learn how to check intonation myself so I can better diagnose issue and maintain my guitars.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 12:22:25 AM »
 Outwardbound, The action should be checked. You can do that yourself, but I recommend taking it to a good tech if it needs adjusting. Since you use justinguitar. com here's a video on action and basic guitar set-ups: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-164-SetUpGuide.php

If the action is good, then "easier" will come with time. Are your fingertips still tender? Mediums or lights won't matter much until you develop some calluses. Do a good job restringing, tune it with the Korg, and have fun playing guitar. :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"