Author Topic: Should I have my guitar autographed by my idol?!  (Read 4403 times)

amy71

Should I have my guitar autographed by my idol?!
« on: June 07, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
Hi everyone! Just a reminder, I'm a new guitar player. My guitar is an 810 Taylor Acoustic that is the love of my life. My inspiration and favorite female guitarist is coming to town on Thursday and I have a VIP pass to meet her!! I have only learned two songs all the way through, both of them hers. I was thinking of having her sign my guitar. if you had a chance to meet your inspiration, what would you do?? And if I do have her sign it, will a sharpie be good enough on a gloss top?

I feel stupid asking this question, but I'm conflicted! Lol. When I found out I was going to meet her, I started crying! Oh..by the way, it's KT Tunstall!

Amy
I attached a pic of my baby.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Should I have my guitar autographed by my idol?!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 05:03:16 PM »
I've had a few opportunities to have well-known pro's sign my guitars, but I don't roll that way.  If I were to let them sign it, it would be on the back or side rather than visible on the soundboard.  In that case, you would need to have a silver or gold Sharpie with you, because they won't have one handy.  The signature will eventually wear off too, unless you cover it with something to prevent any abrasion, even from occasional cleaning.  But do whatever makes you happy.

No signed guitars, but I do however have a pretty good collection of autographed CD's signed by these folks which I have met doing sound at festivals and taking lessons at guitar camps over the years.  I make it a point to buy a CD or two and get them to sign it.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

amy71

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »
Oh! I like that idea of having her sign with a gold or silver on the back or side! Great idea! I figure if I have to think about it that hard...maybe I shouldn't do it. Lol

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
Go for it! I recently had Carlos Santana sign  an electric guitar of mine.....................
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »
I agree with Earl. I have quite a collection of autographs that I've gotten from big name people over the years, thanks to my dad's job. However, I never let them sign a guitar. The closest I would let anyone get is a guitar strap. Your tastes in guitars and opportunity's for new guitars will evolve over time. A strap can be moved from guitar to guitar. Once someone signs a guitar the resale changes. Just a thought.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
My take is about the same as Earl's:  I personally would only have an artist sign a guitar that I owned only if the artist had a direct connection to the instrument (i.e., the artist used the guitar himself).  Otherwise, I'd probably just have them sign a CD or album.  Or a piece of their published sheet music that I have, and from which I've been learning their songs.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 07:36:31 AM »
My take is about the same as Earl's:  I personally would only have an artist sign a guitar that I owned only if the artist had a direct connection to the instrument (i.e., the artist used the guitar himself).  Otherwise, I'd probably just have them sign a CD or album.  Or a piece of their published sheet music that I have, and from which I've been learning their songs.

I like the idea of having the published sheet music signed, that is unique and something you could have framed.  The artist might even like it better, because it is related to them more as well.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

amy71

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
Well, I did it! I know some didn't agree, but she seriously is my inspiration and I'm never selling this baby! I'm so glad I asked though or I wouldn't have known to get a gold marker and use a clear coat. It's also in a place I'm not likely to mess up. I also had her sign some sheet music I printed out. What a fabulous night. It was a free concert, and the VIP passes were only $30! What was super hysterical is I was carrying around my guitar in a gig bag waiting to meet her, and two people came up and asked to get my autograph and take a pic because they thought I was KT Tunstall. Bwah ha ha. Obviously a lot of blind and drunk people, but It sure made me feel awesome!

Amy
2014 Taylor acoustic 810
Dreaming now of owning a Gibson Dove Acoustic. Ha ha

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 04:35:42 PM »
Congrats!  Glad you enjoyed it, and got to meet her.  Also happy that our humble comments here helped you accomplish your mission, in a minor way.

I can see the resemblance in the photos you posted, so the mistake by casual observers is understandable.      8)
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »
Glad to hear you're happy with your decision and you had a great time. Hey, you gotta do what you want to do. Nice Autograph!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 01:06:15 AM »
 Congrats on meeting KT and getting your guitar autographed. I'd let Angus Young sign my SG. Might even let Clapton sign my Strat and Martin if he has a Sharpie handy. ;)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Gasket

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 02:02:25 AM »
Well done and good for you Amy, you now have the signed guitar and photos to treasure for life.
Also a big thanks for introducing me (via YouTube) to KT Tunstall, some how I missed her, now regularly I have her running in the background.

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 03:45:20 AM »
Congratulations, I think the guitar/autograph looks great. I've not managed to see KT live, but this is my favourite video clip of her. its taken from a UK TV show called Songwriters Circle, she was on with David Gray and Ray LaMontagne.

https://youtu.be/T7oIa0L7j0M

Cheers

Eddie

Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

amy71

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
Congratulations, I think the guitar/autograph looks great. I've not managed to see KT live, but this is my favourite video clip of her. its taken from a UK TV show called Songwriters Circle, she was on with David Gray and Ray LaMontagne.

https://youtu.be/T7oIa0L7j0M

Cheers

Eddie

That's awesome!! Thanks for sharing! I hadn't seen that. I do love how she has the "one man band" thing going on. I also didn't know how cool it was to bang on your guitar as a drum. That's just frigging cool. Lol. I love her cover of Melancholy Hill by the Gorrillas is one of my faves. :)
Amy

autovon

• Just a humble guitarist looking to learn more
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 01:56:30 AM »
That video rocks the mic... literally!!!
- T5 Cocobolo (the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen... that I could afford:) **FOR SALE**
- BTO GS with cedar top, IRW b/s, and bloodwood trimmings (the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever played)