Author Topic: Taylor Owners.....Gotta Question for You  (Read 8638 times)

jima9426

Re: Taylor Owners.....Gotta Question for You
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 09:27:58 PM »
So, do any of you experience it? Do people give you the business about your Taylors, do they be-little or joke about your Taylors, or do you just feel like you're defending your choice in Taylors?

Funny thing, I used to be one of those people. Especially when I'd see AI finalists inexplicably switching from their audition piece to a Taylor on stage.

Back to your question, a few follow gigging musicians I know think Taylors are a bit cliche, but acknowledge they get the job done on stage. The only folks I know who might "belittle" Taylors are Bourgeois dealers/players. Of course, they belittle Martin players too.
2016 Yamaha FG-180 50th Anniversary
2014 Martin 000-18
2013 Gibson Fuller's J-35
2013 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Martin S1 Uke
1987 Martin D-18
1983 Guild D-25-CH
1972 Martin D-45 (inherited in '13)
1972 Yamaha FG-180 (retired in '13)
1961 Martin 000-18 (semi-retired in '14)

Peachlander77

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 02:24:39 AM »
I will gladly trade for a belittled Taylor guitar any day.  I'm a bit of a collector and have high end Tacoma, Washburn (built by Bourgeois), Kronbauer, Larrivee, Martin, Taylor, and Bourgeois as well.

Others are jealous of Taylors success due to the LTD editions and how they have been pioneers in using non-traditional, exotic woods.  It's funny Bourgeois owners have just as much in common with Taylor as they do with Martin as Bourgeois uses a bolt on neck as well.  Each of these builders produces amazing guitars.  Martin has started to want a share of the market where Taylor has innovated by introducing performance series and more custom shops productions using alternative woods.  I'm not sure anyone has to apologize for their Taylor guitar as they have been innovators that captured a market when the traditional builders failed to change and provide quality performance options.  For stage performance, set up and ready to go, I'm happy with my Taylors.

jima9426

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 05:06:23 PM »
I had a guy tell me that Taylors are bad because they are built in perfect humidity. . .

Tell your friend that that's true of brands at every price point from Yamaha to Guild to Bourgeois.
2016 Yamaha FG-180 50th Anniversary
2014 Martin 000-18
2013 Gibson Fuller's J-35
2013 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Martin S1 Uke
1987 Martin D-18
1983 Guild D-25-CH
1972 Martin D-45 (inherited in '13)
1972 Yamaha FG-180 (retired in '13)
1961 Martin 000-18 (semi-retired in '14)

GuitarDogs62

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 04:19:22 PM »
I play in a lot of Jams (Mainly Bluegrass with some country) and yes I do run into an occasional Taylor Guitar put down from Martin owners. I say nothing except to each his own and what gets said next is when I get asked to take the break in a song and my guitar just sings out as pretty as a Martin if not better. Then I get a few stairs from those types and can't believe the sounds they just herd. Now this happens once in awhile, and some of those people look twice at my guitar and get interested in the sound. Others just say it ain't a Martin and just leave it at that.

I don't really care what other people play at the jams and stage show I get a chance to get into every now and then. What I look for is the sound of the guitar is making and more so the skills of the Musician that that is playing the guitar. I Too love Taylor Guitars and used to be a Martin Owner and lover of Martin. But that love affair is long gone for me. At one time Martin and Gibson Guitars when you look at the History of Guitars were the bench Mark at the time to judge all others by. Now in today's world and time this is not True anymore, Taylor, Collings Bourgeois, Huss Dalton are some of the brands that are now the Bench Mark.

We are lucky living in this time because we do have a lot of great choices in guitars to choose from. Back in the old days, not so much. I have had the pleasure to hear so many guitars, some were okay, others not all that good at all and others really good and a few great guitars. All had different names on the head stock.

I f you find a brand or two that you love the sound of and are extremely comfortable playing that make you happy then go with those brands for you and use them to judge the other guitars from different Manufactures that you may want to consider buying one day.

Taylor makes really great guitars that has me extremely happy. As Long as Taylor keeps making quality guitars that sounds great then I will continue to be an owner.
Taylor 416
Taylor 526

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »
A lot of interesting responses here. I'm surely not alone. I am proud of my choices in guitars and do my share of defending them and the Taylor name. I even try hard to educate the uninformed. It is a great time to be a guitar player, because there is just so much to choose from. Maybe one day we can all play nice together, regardless of the "toys" we have.  ;D
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

LisaT

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »
My personal belief is to play what you like...cuz you're the only that matters!  Taylor vs ??? is no different than the age old Harley vs everything else amongst those who ride.

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »
In person I've only run across it a couple of time and it usually comes from a person who knows little to nothing about guitars.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »
Most of my friends that own multiple guitars have at least one Taylor.  Fortunately I have never run into anyone, in person, who was critical of my choice or the Taylor brand.  Everyone has their favorite(s) and only the insecure would criticize someone else's choice in guitars.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »
We are lucky living in this time because we do have a lot of great choices in guitars to choose from. Back in the old days, not so much.

This is worth repeating and highlighting, especially with the topic at hand. Most of us have been around a while. Decades. We should stop every once in a while and realize we are in the golden era of acoustic guitars. We're spoiled. Big time. So let's enjoy and even revel in it, and leave the pettiness to lesser souls.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2016, 03:23:56 AM »
We are lucky living in this time because we do have a lot of great choices in guitars to choose from. Back in the old days, not so much.

This is worth repeating and highlighting, especially with the topic at hand. Most of us have been around a while. Decades. We should stop every once in a while and realize we are in the golden era of acoustic guitars. We're spoiled. Big time. So let's enjoy and even revel in it, and leave the pettiness to lesser souls.
+1

we are fortunate to have this 1st world country 'problem'
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

autovon

• Just a humble guitarist looking to learn more
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2016, 01:10:51 AM »
Here's my perspective, and forgive me if I'm repeating another response (I didn't read them all). I just had a similar conversation today about Lebron James and people either liking him or hating him. It seems in our culture prominent figures or brands force people into that type of thinking... for or against. Ford vs. Chevy. Republican vs. Democrat. You like Obama or you don't. You like Lebron or you don't. You like Taylor or you don't. My wife calls it binary thinking, and I call it all or nothing thinking. It seems like a more logical approach is to admit the good in something, even if the bad outweighs the good.

I like most things about Taylors, especially their concern for the environment. Could they do better? Probably. But they are trying, and I find that, along with their quality, far outweighs the negative.
- T5 Cocobolo (the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen... that I could afford:) **FOR SALE**
- BTO GS with cedar top, IRW b/s, and bloodwood trimmings (the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever played)

Gordo in OZ

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2016, 12:31:27 PM »
If you like Taylor and it floats your boat that is all that matters.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »
I participate in the Martin forum quite often and have  noticed many members there mentioning that they own Taylors as well as Martins.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

autovon

• Just a humble guitarist looking to learn more
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 01:46:35 AM »
I've noticed that myself, Christhee.
- T5 Cocobolo (the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen... that I could afford:) **FOR SALE**
- BTO GS with cedar top, IRW b/s, and bloodwood trimmings (the most beautiful sounding guitar I've ever played)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 06:57:27 PM »
I hear it from customers when I'm browsing guitars in stores. The majority are very brand loyal--mostly Martin and Gibson--but a few are Breedlovers, too.

There is something about the tonal qualities of Martins and Gibsons that just don't resonate with me. No matter how expensive the Martin or Gibson, I am not fond of the tone. There was a low-end Martin (not solid wood) that I liked once, but its bridge was lifting so I passed on it. It is the tone of Taylors that draws me in.

Despite comments from people that Taylors sound alike, they really don't There are huge differences in tonal qualities between the various types of wood Taylor uses. At times, there are differences in tone between identical models.

Many of the Taylor naysayers don't have a clue what they are missing. With the advances Bob Taylor made in building guitars as well as taking the lead when it comes to sourcing wood, his company definitely has its own following. Comparing the number of years Bob's been building Taylors compared with the number of years Martin and Gibson have been building, Taylor Guitars is still young. But the difference is Bob is willing to pave his own path rather than follow what the other companies do. And that is also something that sets Taylor Guitars apart from the others. :)
Cindy