Author Topic: Re: Rules for the Forum.  (Read 12233 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Re: Rules for the Forum.
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »
hi dsamuel24,
WELCOME !
good to see you here

you make an excellent point

if you would please permit the courtesy of editing a few words & a quote out,
because the quote would no longer be necessary, we can go from there -
we respect the choices JR made for his forum, as well as Josh's here

thread & post editing should be done at an absolute mininum &
we will try be as consistent as possible in doiing so -
if we happen to miss one, please feel free to let us know

we will request, at the point, that if one feels that a decision that
has been made is in question, please contact the moderator via PM -
the moderators & forum adnimistrator are here help this forum
grow in taking care of its overall well-being & its members 

i don't imagine there'd be a reason to merge a thread because as newer
members come in, there will undoubtedly be different responses & the
new thread taken in a new direction, even if the topic seems nearly identical

there will be some threads moved occasionally & if for some reason
one needs to be locked, posts unrelated to the topic will be edited

please know that the last thing that we want to do is delete a thread -
we realize the time & effort that go into each & every post, even
ones that seem brief & to the point, & we will highly respect that

we are all new at this & we are very fortunate to have this opportunity
to make this forum work to the best benefit of everyone here

again, thank you & everyone that has joined the forum, are participating
or just 'lurking' around ,,, we want this to be an enjoyable place for all :)

please free feel to invite your friends too :D
m
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:31:48 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 07:26:13 PM »

Uh-oh, this post may be gone soon, as it appears to BEND rule #3
3. No bashing of other forum boards, or guitar companies.  After all...we all love Taylor!  What more do we need?   :D

If you all have any feedback feel free to post your opinions!

Just wanted you to know that frankly I don't know how to merge posts...at least not yet...so you are safe from having me do that at this time! LOL! ::)

Now where oh where did the Delete key go??? :o Just kidding!!!

That's funny Cindy. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on you.  8)
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 07:36:38 PM »
hi dsamuel24,
WELCOME !
good to see you here

you make an excellent point  THANKS!

if you would please allow me the courtesy of editing 4 words & a quote out, because the quote would no longer be necessary, we can go from there - we respect the choices JR made for his forum, as well as Josh's here
I'm not sure what to make of this... did you really edit 4 words, or was this said in jest? Sorry... I don't follow.  ???

we will request, at the point, that if one feels that a decision that has been made is in question, please contact the moderator via PM - the moderators & forum adnimistrator are here help this forum grow in taking care of its overall well-being & its members
Would it also be fair to ask, then, that the Mod contact the poster via PM before deleting/editing the post in question to get a clarification from the poster, or at least to give the poster notice of the pending deletion/edit? This would have helped me in the instances that happened "over there". 

m

See above responses in bold/red. Thanks Michael for your thoughtful response!  :)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
hi dsamuel24,
i edited my post (above), as i would rather allow you the opportunity to do so

we do have a rule, which you quoted, & we would like for it to be abided by -
in terms of rules we have in place, these posts will be edited minimally,
provided it is 'blatant' (pricing discussions & bashing fit into this category)

we cannot promise that a PM will be received prior to editing
i.e. a price will be edited out & an explanation at the bottom of the post

please know that we are here to 'moderate', which, by definition. is
allowing reasonable limits & avoiding extremes, & not to 'police'

to me, it seems that you are asking for us not to moderate in the same
fashion as you have experienced at other forums - we are all new here &
it will take some time for everything to settle & we will make mistakes.
we will give the benefit of the doubt & we also request it in return as well

my response here would be irrevelent to your experience on other forums,
but if you feel that a post that was edited was done so in error or altered
its meaning, please feel free to PM the moderator or forum administrator

as this was asked in an open forum, i am responding here,
but as other situations will vary, it will be performed by PMs
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2012, 12:24:53 AM »
hi dsamuel24,
i edited my post (above), as i would rather allow you the opportunity to do so
Michael - I'm so sorry, I don't mean to be difficult, but I still do not understand what you did or did not edit (your post/my post/both/nothing?), and I don't understand your comment about "allowing me the opportunity to do so"... am I supposed to self-edit something that is inappropriate from your perspective? I am really just trying to understand and be clear in both directions. (I think most of the problem is that many times email/IM/text-typed communication is so difficult to discern and there can be many mis-communications... one of the pitfalls of these types of internet-based discussions.)

we do have a rule, which you quoted, & we would like for it to be abided by - in terms of rules we have in place, these posts will be edited minimally, provided it is 'blatant' (pricing discussions & bashing fit into this category)
I'm totally cool with pricing or bashing being edited/deleted... it's the grey areas I am hoping for leniency with.

we cannot promise that a PM will be received prior to editing i.e. a price will be edited out & an explanation at the bottom of the post
I understand... ANY explanation at the bottom of the edited post will be very helpful.

to me, it seems that you are asking for us not to moderate in the same fashion as you have experienced at other forums - we are all new here & it will take some time for everything to settle & we will make mistakes. we will give the benefit of the doubt & we also request it in return as well
Yes, that is what I am asking... but your response is a great one and it seems we're on the same page.

my response here would be irrevelent to your experience on other forums, but if you feel that a post that was edited was done so in error or altered its meaning, please feel free to PM the moderator or forum administrator
Understood, sound good.

as this was asked in an open forum, i am responding here, but as other situations will vary, it will be performed by PMs
Again, understood, and I greatly appreciate your responding in open forum to the questions I posted in the open... I feel this discussion will benefit many viewers, so the relegating of it to PM would be counter-productive in my view. Your response in the open to my questions posted in the open is the kind of movement in the "right" direction that was lacking elsewhere, IMO. Thanks so much!

spieler

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »
as this was asked in an open forum, i am responding here, but as other situations will vary, it will be performed by PMs.

Again, understood, and I greatly appreciate your responding in open forum to the questions I posted in the open... I feel this discussion will benefit many viewers, so the relegating of it to PM would be counter-productive in my view. Your response in the open to my questions posted in the open is the kind of movement in the "right" direction that was lacking elsewhere, IMO. Thanks so much!

I appreciate this exchange very much.

Thanks, guys.

~ S.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 11:04:59 AM »
Just a heads up...eventually I will be moving all these replies to more appropriate sub-forums then once all the replies are moved, I will lock the forum rules so no replies can be made directly to it. My intent for doing this is to keep the Forum Rules as a statement.

I will do my best to keep individual conversations together: all the introductions and replies will be in one thread in the main Welcome sub-forum. Comments/question replies regarding forum rules will be moved--most likely to The Lounge sub-forum which is the most appropriate forum. And any comments that refer to another a specific forum will be edited to reflect forums in general. I have no intentions to delete any replies. :)

Thank you!
Cindy

dsamuel24

• www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
Just a heads up...eventually I will be moving all these replies to more appropriate sub-forums then once all the replies are moved, I will lock the forum rules so no replies can be made directly to it. My intent for doing this is to keep the Forum Rules as a statement.

I will do my best to keep individual conversations together: all the introductions and replies will be in one thread in the main Welcome sub-forum. Comments/question replies regarding forum rules will be moved--most likely to The Lounge sub-forum which is the most appropriate forum. And any comments that refer to another a specific forum will be edited to reflect forums in general. I have no intentions to delete any replies. :)

Thank you!

Hey Cindy. Thanks so much for this post of explanation. I can't tell you how important this is to me (and I think MANY other members here) to be respected and treated like adults who are intelligent and mature. Your post does that.

I think it is an unspoken feeling for the vast majority of folks that when a post is deleted (that doesn't directly violate a rule) or when a thread is locked (even if it is getting contentious) that we've just been told by a parent that we aren't smart enough or mature enough to know when to knock it off on our own, and that gets folks riled up. The kind of explanation you gave here, I believe, diffuses much of that defensiveness and gives us a chance to say, "Oh, OK, it's being MOVED to a more appropriate location, and we're being REDIRECTED as a community by someone in a position of authority to redirect us." That, to me, seems likely to be well accepted and respected by the community. It's when stuff just ISN'T THERE ANYMORE without warning, explanation or (apparent) concern for members' feelings that we (many of us, at least) get frustrated.

I for one feel that this discussion (had mostly by me, michealw and yourself) regarding the direction the Admin will take on moderating and editing/deleting of posts and moving of threads is highly valuable to the entire community, and should be kept, in it's entirety, somewhere on the forum so the info can be accessed DTR by anyone wishing to. It appears by your comments that that is exactly what is going to happen, and for that I am most appreciative and thankful!  :D

I do think the other discussions about moderating, the rules and other questions of direction and policy should also be kept (or should have been kept) and NEVER DELETED (edited if necessary, but never deleted entirely), especially in light of how new we are as a group and that these formative discussions will set certain expectations and directions for future months and years of gathering in this forum. We all need to be able to go back and look again at what was discussed in the first 30-60 days of this new place.

Happy New Year. Here's to 2012 and the start of a great new forum about Taylor guitars!

Edited to remove paragraph which is too demeaning to another forum and is in direct violation to the UTGF rules.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:35:07 PM by Cindy »

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Rules for the Forum.
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 01:30:31 PM »
Whew! All the replies from the Forum Rules have been moved here intact. Again, please do not make any specific or implied references to any other guitar forum(s) in a negative light. Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:56:57 PM by Cindy »
Cindy