Author Topic: for slack-key fans -- Uncle Cyril Pahinui is in the hospital (serious)  (Read 851 times)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
I was just over at taropatch.net checking in, and saw a thread that Cyril Pahinui is in the hospital with serious lung failure, facing major surgery tomorrow.

He is the son of the late Gabby Pahinui, who was the first Hawaiian to play slack-key in public and make recordings back in the 70's.  Prior to that it was a family-only thing and not performed in public.  As a result, this wonderful musical tradition nearly died out entirely.  Gabby was "instrumental"     ;)    in bringing slack-key back from the brink.  I've taken some workshops from Uncle Cyril, and got to meet him once again in Honolulu last April before one of his shows.  He is one of the true masters of the slack-key style.

Please send along some healing thoughts.  He and the whole Pahinui family can use all the aloha possible right now.  And if you've never heard his music (or slack-key in general) it is well worth some YouTube searches.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

azslacker

• Veteran Member
 Thanks for posting this Earl. As some of you know, Hawaiian music is all I play. Well, 95% at least. User name is "Arizona Slack Key Player" The Pahinui family name is about as big as it gets, in Hawaii. Cyril even has a tuning named after him. "Cyril's C". I have also met Cyril a couple of times and have seen several performances. His tuning was the first I learned when I got interested in slack key. Lots of updates on FB on his condition. So cool that other musicians have stepped in to cover his shows, and teach his students during this time. Certainly worth looking up his music on YouTube. Suggest the song " Hi'ilawe". A song his father made famous, even though he didn't write it.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa