Author Topic: Looks like the new 500s missed out  (Read 7758 times)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Looks like the new 500s missed out
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 04:03:39 PM »
Yes, but Taylor has infinitely more experience with building and the details than any of us.  Sometimes customers ask for combinations that just won't work very well.  They are trying to protect us from ourselves, and avoid having odd or marginal guitars out there.

I once asked for a baritone neck on a jumbo body, figuring that the larger body volume would support the low frequencies better - I even discussed it personally with Andy Powers at a Road Show and he thought the concept was promising.  Later I tested my theory on a 315 that was tuned down.  (The 315 clearly had more bass response than the rosewood six string GS / 800 series baritone, kinda like the LKSM tuned down).  But they had stopped building jumbos by then and refused to even consider it, even as a BTO.  I still think it would work....  but we'll never know.  Maybe I should consider converting my 615ce with a new nut and heavy strings...... hmmmm.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby