Author Topic: Hello from Valencia, California  (Read 2077 times)

solosdad

Hello from Valencia, California
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »
I found again my Taylor friends! I have been learning the guitar for the past year. I'm now 65 and my journey started with a "guitar in a box" given to me by my wife on my 64th birthday. My wife thought I might like taking up the guitar! The next day I went to our local music store to sign up for a months worth of weekly lessons included in my gift. I quickly gravitated to better guitars. The store owner allowed me to trade-up from the $100 classical through a series of classicals and steel strings to my first keeper, 6 weeks later a Yamaha LL16. My guitar teacher Doug subtly planted the seed that there was a whole world of fine guitars out there for me to discover while at the same time assuring me that my LL16 was all I would need If I chose to stay with one instrument. The AGF quickly exposed me to guitar heaven! I then went to various guitar stores, The Fret House, Mc Cabes and GC etc., and found the Taylors and Martins that i love. Then then I found Ted at L.A. Guitars last March and bought my Taylor 2010 814 CE fall ltd. short scale! Then as my son-in-laws birthday approached I called Ted in April and we discussed options and I bought one of his custom Martin OM 15's. I liked it so much that I then bought one for myself 2 weeks later. My lessons have continued through the months and in August through the great Martin California rep, Joe Mac, whom I emailed following a Martin Clinic in July that I was going to NYC in August to visit my daughter and son-in-law and could he arrange for me to tour the Martin Custom Shop when I visit Nazareth in mid-August? Within 30 minutes of my sending the email to Joe Mac, at 6:30 AM I received a call from Scott at Martin inviting me to take a personal guided tour! I have to say that my experience that day was wonderful. Scot took me on a 2 1/2 tour and also bought me lunch across the street. During lunch I asked him why he did such a wonderful thing for me as I am a "nobody" in the music world? His response was "because you asked". That was one of the great days of my life! My skill is steadily improving and as soon as I have mastered the basic scales and some music theory I will then purchase my "dream guitar". Probably either a Martin OM 28 Marquis or Santa Cruz OM, now that R Taylor is no more. BTW, How I got the name Solosdad, Is a result of my dog named Solo. He is a 12 year old Weimaraner, an AKC champion and was a litter of one! Hence giving him the name Solo!

Bob Millner

Yamaha LL16
2010 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd., short scale
Martin OM 15 Custom

Bob Millner
2014 Collings OOO-2H
2012 Taylor GC6
2011 Martin OM 15 Custom
2013 Eastman E10P
2012 Kenny Hill Crossover
2010 Yamaha LL16 Donated to Guitars 4 Vets

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hello from Valencia, California
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »
Great to have you here Bob!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:11:23 PM »
Bob - what a fantastic story of your tour of Martin's custom shop! I would relish the chance to tour the facilities of any of these major brand guitar manufacturers and especially their custom shop. You've got three nice guitars there and I'm glad you're here!
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

cotten

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:54:25 PM »
Thanks, Bob, for sharing your great story with us! That kind of thing is heart warming in the best way, even if it didn't involve Taylor. Besides, you're NOT a nobody, you're a guitar lover. Your relative playing skill has nothing to do with it unless you're trying to sell tickets to your concerts or promote your CDs! You're among friends here. Glad you've joined us!

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:33:20 PM »
Hello Bob and welcome to the forum! Thanks for the interesting story of how you started with the guitar. Your wife sounds like an incredible lady and hopefully one who will be in your life for a long, long time! :)
Cindy

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 09:29:45 PM »
Hello Bob,

wow!  I enjoyed reading your bio.  As I read, I could not stop smiling as I really could feel your passion for the guitar.  Welcome aboard....
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16