Author Topic: 12-string String Change Done, But.......  (Read 2937 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
12-string String Change Done, But.......
« on: February 14, 2016, 02:10:50 PM »
.....not my favorite job!
Got the strings changed (using the "Taylor method") the other day and I'm sure glad that's done. The 6-strings are quick and easy, but I have always seemed to have less interest with the 12-strings. Maybe because there are twice as many strings, maybe because of the octave strings, maybe because I'm just weird.

But, as I was doing it, I kept thinking to myself....."Tim (timfitz63) how do you do it, with that impressive collection of 12-strings"?
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: 12-string String Change Done, But.......
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 02:57:39 PM »
I don't own any 12-strings, but I sure do love the Taylor method! ;)

How do you like playing a 12-string compared with a 6-string?
Cindy

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »
How do you like playing a 12-string compared with a 6-string?
Since finding my cedar/mahogany GS, I've finally got a 12-string that sounds good fingerstyle. I'm learning to be clear and articulate with the songs, something I was never able to do before on a 12-string. So, I like the challenge and love the sound. With the GS body, it's a great sounding strummer, when I accompany a violinist during our monthly performances at an assisted living facility. So, I really like playing my 12-string (.....string changes  :-\).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:18:40 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
I know, I don't like changing 12 strings either. So I replaced my Taylor tuners with Gotoh mini-locking tuners. Slide the string in and turn. I can change 12 in the same time it takes to change 6 on my other guitars. (Mini so they'll fit on the headstock)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:30:10 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »
... But, as I was doing it, I kept thinking to myself....."Tim (timfitz63) how do you do it, with that impressive collection of 12-strings"?

Well, I just get a new guitar when the strings get old... ;)

Believe it or not, so far I've only had to change the strings on one of my 12-string guitars; apparently going away to work in another state makes your strings last longer... ::)

Plus having so many 12-string guitars means I'm not playing just one of them all the time -- which, again, tends to make the strings last longer.  But admittedly it is a much less economic approach than just buying another set of strings...

I'm also very diligent about washing my hands before playing and wiping down strings after playing them.  And my skin chemistry seems to be "string-friendly," so to speak. 

But there's ultimately no way to avoid it... And the one time I've done it -- yeah, it's definitely a chore on a 12-string...  Not looking forward doing it regularly when I get back to Texas...  I'm planning to rotate string changes on each guitar so I don't have to change all of them at once.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 09:54:55 PM »
I know, I don't like changing 12 strings either. So I replaced my Taylor tuners with Gotoh mini-locking tuners. Slide the string in and turn. I can change 12 in the same time it takes to change 6 on my other guitars. (Mini so they'll fit on the headstock)

I am a little curious about these locking tuners....never heard of them before.  Thanks!
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 09:58:57 PM »
My 12-er is the only one that gets Elixirs just so I don't have to change them as often...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 10:24:16 PM »
I am a little curious about these locking tuners....never heard of them before.  Thanks!

SGS510Z mini with MG (locking) option in a variety of finishes:

http://www.japarts.ca/Gotoh/Gotoh-Products-SG510.asp#SGL510

Magnum Lock:
http://www.g-gotoh.com/international/?btp_work=whats-magnum-lock
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:44:34 AM »
... But, as I was doing it, I kept thinking to myself....."Tim (timfitz63) how do you do it, with that impressive collection of 12-strings"?

Believe it or not, so far I've only had to change the strings on one of my 12-string guitars; apparently going away to work in another state makes your strings last longer... ::)

Plus having so many 12-string guitars means I'm not playing just one of them all the time -- which, again, tends to make the strings last longer.  But admittedly it is a much less economic approach than just buying another set of strings...

I'm also very diligent about washing my hands before playing and wiping down strings after playing them.  And my skin chemistry seems to be "string-friendly," so to speak. 

But there's ultimately no way to avoid it... And the one time I've done it -- yeah, it's definitely a chore on a 12-string...  Not looking forward doing it regularly when I get back to Texas...  I'm planning to rotate string changes on each guitar so I don't have to change all of them at once.
Funny, your first comment is exactly what I say to my critics who say I have too many Taylors......"I have several, because every time a guitar needs new strings, I just buy another".  ;D

I also wash my hands before playing and have good skin chemistry, so my strings last quite awhile too.

The 12 doesn't get the play that the 6's do, so that helps too.

Was thinking about you, Tim!

Susie

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
My 12-er is the only one that gets Elixirs just so I don't have to change them as often...
Yes, mine gets Elixirs too, it sure helps lengthen the time between sting changes.
Susie

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 05:50:19 AM »

Looks pretty cool! I have the Gotoh 510 mini's in black. I'm too cheap to replace them, but I like those.
Susie

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 07:54:57 AM »
I don't own any 12-strings, but I sure do love the Taylor method! ;)

hahahaha

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 05:37:10 PM »

Funny, your first comment is exactly what I say to my critics who say I have too many Taylors......"I have several, because every time a guitar needs new strings, I just buy another"...  ;D

You know what they say:  great minds think alike! ;)

... Was thinking about you, Tim!

Well it's nice to know someone is...! :)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

theonemanband

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 08:35:55 PM »
Re-stringing a Taylor 12 string.......doddle!!!

You should try re-stringing a Rickenbacker 12; particularly the ones with the  old "sealed trough" style headstock........allow at least one week off work!!  ;D

But when it's done, it's well worth the effort........that wonderful, mystical, "Rickenbacker Jangle"
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:40:27 PM by theonemanband »
Taylor T5z-12 Classic
Danelectro DC59-12 (open G)
Avalon S32-12
Takamine EGMINI