Author Topic: Taylor Inlay  (Read 8021 times)

Andromeda

Taylor Inlay
« on: February 04, 2016, 06:01:13 PM »
One of the things I have loved about Taylor Guitars are their wide selection of great looking Inlays.

My favorite is the Early 900 Series seen on my old W65.

Last year they discontinued the Cindy Inlay for the 900 Series and instead introduced the Ascension Inlay which to me seems like a re-imagining or redesign of the Early 900 series inlay.

Anyone else see the similarities?

Have any opinions about Taylor inlays in general either pro or con?
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Taylor Inlay
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
Ooh.  Purty W65.  I've been curious about trying one of those; of course, Taylor doesn't make them any more, but used ones seem to be a bit on the scarce side.

To answer your question, I've always thought Taylor does a better overall job with aesthetics than a lot of the other guitar manufacturers.  And that includes the fretboard inlays.  Most of them are -- or at least used to be -- just elaborate enough to be interesting without being gaudy.  Lately, that seems to be changing, with a progression back to simplistic dot-based fretboard inlays on Taylor's low- and mid-range guitar series.

Probably the biggest exception to the movement toward Spartan inlays is the current Presentation Series fretboard inlay, which is quite intricate.  It took a bit of time for that one to grow on me; my first reaction to it was:  "Wow!  The Liberace Special...!" :o
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:11:22 PM by timfitz63 »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 03:13:55 AM »
I'm not really in to blingy guitars - I think very often shiny bits are added just for the sake of having extra shiny bits, which can negate the objective of making the instrument look "special".  But fingerboard inlays is a different matter for me.  I think even on the plainest guitars you can get away with intricate fret work without making the whole package look silly.

The examples in your photo's are beautiful, particularly on your W65 (what is that, by the way?  I don't know that model...).  My current "flagship" is my 2015 816ce.  The inlays on that are beautiful in their simplicity, drawing you in to the guitar, without letting you focus on the finger board.  My Mini just has simple dots.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have a '62 Hofner Committee, and that's blinged up to the ying yang, with beautiful winged-rose inlays.  I also have a 1920 Ludwig Ambassador banjo which is also super blingy, and on that the fret inlays are all different designs - sounds odd, but it works.  So there are exceptions to my no-bling rule, but on the right instrument :-)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:35:14 AM »
That's a gorgeous W65, Andromeda!!

I'm not into the overly blingy guitars either. But, Taylor does a real nice job on most of their inlays and appointments. They are usually well-balanced with the other appointments of the guitar. Some of their less flashy inlays, like the diamonds on the old 500 series, are just classy. What I really like about Taylor, is how they use abalone or mother of pearl on some, but all wood on others. I wouldn't say I have a favorite, but I do really like the "all wood" appointments (inlays) on the current Koa series guitars.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:18:14 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
I'm not into the overly blingy guitars either. But, Taylor does a real nice job on most of their inlays and appointments. They are usually well-balanced with the other appointments of the guitar. Some of their less flashy inlays, like the diamonds on the old 500 series, are just classy. What I really like about Taylor, is how they use abalone or mother of pearl on some, but all wood on others. I wouldn't say I have a favorite, but I do really like the "all wood" appointments (inlays) on the current Koa series guitars.

That's a beauty Susie. Is that custom? I'm looking at the headstock and thinking that's a very "TaylorGirl" inlay :-)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 10:25:28 AM »

That's a beauty Susie. Is that custom? I'm looking at the headstock and thinking that's a very "TaylorGirl" inlay :-)
Thank you, George. Yes and no. It's called a "custom" K24ce that I got new from Wildwood Guitars in 2014. It's upgraded with AA koa and CV Adirondack top bracing. Everything else, inlays and appointments, are standard on the current koa series.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:37:45 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »
Those wooden vine inlays are now standard for recent K-series guitars.  Very tasty! 
But not quite enough to make me flip my all-koa 424 from 2007 (store photo).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:31:00 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »
Those wooden vine inlays are now standard for recent K-series guitars.  Very tasty! 
Yes, standard on the current koa series. The all wood inlays (maple and blackwood) complement the beautiful koa wood.

Your koa guitar is beautiful and definitely one to hold on to.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:45:54 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 04:49:43 PM »
Thanks, Susie.  It sounds as good as it looks, too.  424 protected me from the new K's when a Find-Your-Fit event came through town last year.  Still it was really fun to play the new K22, K24, K26 and K28 sequentially.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

ronmcc4

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 04:51:19 PM »
That vine inlay on the K series is one of my favorites for sure.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 06:05:49 PM »
I don't have a pic on hand, but two of the ones that I like a lot, and I think have "aged well" since I still like them are the old 600 guitars and the "Artist" inlays they used on some of the T5s and look very similar to the 600s.

I think one "can" go overboard on inlays, but by-and-large Taylor has some of nicest/most-tasteful inlays over the decade IMHO!

Edward

John

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 06:31:59 PM »
Wow Susie, that is just the right amount of bling - I'm looking at that headstock thinking how impossibly perfect it looks!!!
2013 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
Takamine 132sc - Classical
Fender Strat

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »
... Some of their less flashy inlays, like the diamonds on the old 500 series, are just classy...

I've always like these 500 Series fretboard inlays too.

... What I really like about Taylor, is how they use abalone or mother of pearl on some, but all wood on others...

Concur.  I've got guitars with simple abalone or mother-of-pearl dots on the fretboard, all the way up to the Presentation Series fretboard that's swimming in paua.  A couple even have a mixture of abalone and mother-of-pearl.  Others have wood inlays.  Every one is interesting in its own way...!

... I do really like the "all wood" appointments (inlays) on the current Koa series guitars.

Again, I agree!  The Koa Series inlays win the award for simplistic elegance in design...!  Frankly, I like them so much, and have come to associate those inlays with the Koa Series so much, that it kind of disappoints me when I see one of the older Koa Series guitars with their standard "pipeline" fretboard inlays...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Andromeda

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 09:17:18 PM »
I don't have a pic on hand, but two of the ones that I like a lot, and I think have "aged well" since I still like them are the old 600 guitars and the "Artist" inlays they used on some of the T5s and look very similar to the 600s.

I think one "can" go overboard on inlays, but by-and-large Taylor has some of nicest/most-tasteful inlays over the decade IMHO!

Edward

I do know the inlays that you mention and I like them both a great deal.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »
Taylor's inlays are typically tasteful without being gaudy or pretentious - here are a few of mine:

pretty paua:

Pelicans!

Cujo!

And that lovely tropical vine (like Susie's)

Of course, I like blank fretboards as well, especially when the ebony's interesting:

Cloudy:

Stripey Macassar:

My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood