Author Topic: The "old" Taylor forum is gone  (Read 22042 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: The "old" Taylor forum is gone
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 01:39:15 AM »
i think 2012 will be a 'new era' for Taylor as well -
with the first day of the new year done,
i believe it's already off to a great start :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Iplay2

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »
I noticed that Guitar Rodeo is also no longer a sponser on the AGF...that almost hurt as bad to see.

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
I noticed that Guitar Rodeo is also no longer a sponser on the AGF...that almost hurt as bad to see.

Wow.  Good eye.  I hadn't noticed that. 
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp

dangrunloh

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »
Being painfully honest, I have a little difficulty understanding the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  The process was explained in great detail after the group was moved. 

Ed

JR did give an explanation but it's still disappointing. I'm still hopeful they will re instate the Taylor section.

Unless I'm mistaken posting on that whole subject line over there is no longer welcome.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 01:49:37 PM »
Being painfully honest, I have a little difficulty understanding the wailing and gnashing of teeth.  The process was explained in great detail after the group was moved. 

Ed

JR did give an explanation but it's still disappointing. I'm still hopeful they will re instate the Taylor section.

Unless I'm mistaken posting on that whole subject line over there is no longer welcome.

Yes, pretty much anything that references the change or UTGF is immediately locked/deleted.

Kinda harsh, but then again, it's JR's site, and using his 'old girlfriend' analogy, I can kinda understand it because if someone breaks up with "Sally" the last thing they want people asking is "Geez, what happened to Sally?  I liked her, she was great!"

I have no crystal ball, but my hunch is that once the issue cools down, or blows over, in several months members at AGF will be allowed to refer others to UTGF just as they can currently do with UMGF or the Guild forum.  But right now the wound is fresh and someone's hackles are up. 
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

e8n

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »
Yes, pretty much anything that references the change or UTGF is immediately locked/deleted.

Kinda harsh, but then again, it's JR's site, and using his 'old girlfriend' analogy, I can kinda understand it because if someone breaks up with "Sally" the last thing they want people asking is "Geez, what happened to Sally?  I liked her, she was great!"

I have no crystal ball, but my hunch is that once the issue cools down, or blows over, in several months members at AGF will be allowed to refer others to UTGF just as they can currently do with UMGF or the Guild forum.  But right now the wound is fresh and someone's hackles are up. 
-K

Unless Sally makes you famous and makes you a lot of money.  It makes it a lot easier to look at her every day.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

cotten

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 03:31:09 PM »
With this comment, I'm representing only myself, not the AGF in any official capacity. In disallowing the promotion of this forum there they are following a very long-established policy of not allowing another forum to build their membership using the AGF's rolls. A good forum shouldn't have to poach members from other forums in order to grow. This policy didn't begin with the UTGF, but rather at least ten years ago. We are not the first or fifth spin off community the TGF/AGF has seen. Just the best!  :) 

I believe the other AGF spin offs have either imploded or have remained cozy little communities of a few dozen friends who really enjoy the small coffee shop kind of ambiance. There is plenty of room on the net for guitar communities of all descriptions.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
With this comment, I'm representing only myself, not the AGF in any official capacity. In disallowing the promotion of this forum there they are following a very long-established policy of not allowing another forum to build their membership using the AGF's rolls.

cotten

I think the issue is that the policy is not consistently enforced.  There have been numerous times when posters were referred to the "Lets Talk Guild" forum or the UMGF with no censorship from moderators.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »
I've found a new playground to play in. Sorry AGF.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

dangrunloh

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
With this comment, I'm representing only myself, not the AGF in any official capacity. In disallowing the promotion of this forum there they are following a very long-established policy of not allowing another forum to build their membership using the AGF's rolls. A good forum shouldn't have to poach members from other forums in order to grow. This policy didn't begin with the UTGF, but rather at least ten years ago. We are not the first or fifth spin off community the TGF/AGF has seen. Just the best!  :) 

I believe the other AGF spin offs have either imploded or have remained cozy little communities of a few dozen friends who really enjoy the small coffee shop kind of ambiance. There is plenty of room on the net for guitar communities of all descriptions.

cotten

Thanks very much cotton for your VERY helpful post. I have posted on the "intertubes" since the time you had to know Unix to get online and have never had a post blocked in 17 years until I stumbled blindly into the situation. I feel much better now.  Incidentally I like the new scheme over there where all the posts are part of the search. I had trouble finding things a second time as I frequently couldn't remember which subboard to search.

It will be fun to see what goes on at the official Taylor Talk forum when it begins and it will be cool when we can openly refer guitar enthusiasts to any source of information. 

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
J.R. made the focus of his web site to be more inclusive of all brands as it hasn't been the Taylor AGF for a long time. Although I'm not happy about his decision to delete the Taylor section, I will certainly respect it. Perhaps back then there was a need to establish a forum for all acoustic guitars, but since there are many web site forums for specific brands, there was still a need for a Taylor Guitar forum. The change was made and it was completely out of our control so let's move on from the previous Taylor hang-out and enjoy our new Taylor forum. :)
Cindy

Paul

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
I went clicking on the other forum looking for Taylor Guitar Forum but couldn't find it :(

Wonder how many here that doesn't own a Taylor yet.

Or am I the only one, will I be kicked out  :D

or will 2012 be the year that I finally own one ;)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 11:54:18 PM »
I went clicking on the other forum looking for Taylor Guitar Forum but couldn't find it :(

Although this is obviously a forum for Taylor owners/enthusiasts, I don't think anyone would 'kick you out' for not owning a Taylor yet, or even not owning one anymore. 
I frequent some motorcycle forums, and quite often someone ends up selling their ____ to buy a ____ and yet they stick around and remain welcome, because we are all friends here, this isn't a competition.   :)

If you don't yet own a Taylor but you hope to, then by all means you are welcome here! 
Pull up a chair, make yourself cozy and read up! 
Oh, and when you do buy yourself a Taylor please post pix!
 :D
-Kris
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Gary0319

• Sarasota FL USA
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »

You'll not be asked to leave, I'm sure of that.

And.........when you get ready to make your first Taylor purchase, this would be a good place to post a "Want To Buy" ad in the classifieds. I'm sure you would find a well cared for Taylor at a good price.

Welcome,

Gary
Taylor 612c Quilted Maple - 1994
Taylor Custom GC All Mahogany - 2010
Guild GAD30R - 2005
Recording King ROS-06 - 2010
Eastman E10 OM - 2011
Greg Bennett OM-08 - 2009
Yamaha CGX-171SCF Flamenco - old

GuitarRick

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »
I saw it yesterday and was just glad that UTGF is here!! Did I read that Taylor was starting its own forum??

I appreciate all the great comments and ideas that you all post here and all that was posted on AGF, as I followed that forum for a while before joining. Of course right after joining AGF I heard that that the Taylor topic board was going away...As stated by another member, the Taylor section was almost exclusively my inteterest.

Onward and upward!
Taylor 410 (1995)
Taylor 2011 Fall Limitted