Author Topic: Suppose Taylor never existed...  (Read 16415 times)

bandit59

Re: Suppose Taylor never existed...
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2012, 04:09:45 AM »
The very thought has forced me to pour a large Jack Daniels to calm my shattered nerves! I was looking at guitars a while ago with the vague notion of buying something decent at last when the salesman handed me a BBT , I'd never even heard of Taylor before but it actually changed my perception of guitars. I'd played Martins before & thought they were good but nothing had grabbed me the way even an "entry level" Taylor did. As for what I'd play otherwise, I spent a little time a couple of weeks ago with a Gibson Songwriter which was absolutely stunning.
Taylor 410ce  (2012)
Epiphone 'Roy Orbison' 12 string
Eastman AC412 om
Eastman AR503ce

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2012, 08:23:05 AM »
Banish the thought!

... but since you asked, I'd carry a Gibson J-45 TV and a Martin 000-28EC. Then give one of the up and coming luthiers a chance to build something really special. After that maybe a Bourgeois and a Goodall. Then, after that ...
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Giraku

• I play exclusively fingerstyle.
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 07:10:41 AM »
PRS followed by Martin.
‘18 Taylor K14ce Builder’s Edition (Koa / Torrefied Sitka Spruce)
'16 Taylor 514ce LTD (Granadillo / Cedar)
'16 Taylor K22e LTD (All Koa)
'15 Martin D41 Purple Martin #29 of 50 (Cocobolo / Adirondack Spruce)
Sound Clips are here.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2012, 12:52:50 AM »
PRS followed by Martin.
would it be the angelus, tonare grand or one the private stock signature models ...
or, PRS for an electric ???

just curious :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Satsuki

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
Then We would not be posting on this forum.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2012, 10:58:30 PM »
Well, when I first decided I was going to buy a quality acoustic, I very seriously had a few Guild's on my mind.  That's what I was first looking at when I went to The Podium.  But, after playing a few Taylor's that is what I ended up with.  So, probably a Guild. 
(I still think they make a durn fine 12-stringer.)

The other possible answer is a guitar from a small luthier, such as the Kennedy that I now have in addition to my GSLJ.  The little OM is truly an amazing instrument!

I almost bought one of the Podium-special all mahogany Martin's before I made my mind up on the Kennedy, so that's another option as well.
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »
Forgot to add...
Was also considering one of the Seagull's.  In particular their Peppino D'Augustino model.  Still think it'd be a nice git, but I really wanted to hold/examine/play anything before buying, and since I couldn't find one within a hundred miles it was disqualified.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
I'd probably have bought a really nice Seagull when I got my Taylor and I'd probably find myself looking at Gibsons and Martins down the road the more I got into folk music, as has been the case for me anyway.

That said, Taylor is keeping me interested with the 12-fret and some of their dreadnought revisions (deep body option, talk of vintage voicing, etc). :)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Giraku

• I play exclusively fingerstyle.
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
PRS followed by Martin.
would it be the angelus, tonare grand or one the private stock signature models ...
or, PRS for an electric ???

just curious :)

Angelus Custom is my next target.
‘18 Taylor K14ce Builder’s Edition (Koa / Torrefied Sitka Spruce)
'16 Taylor 514ce LTD (Granadillo / Cedar)
'16 Taylor K22e LTD (All Koa)
'15 Martin D41 Purple Martin #29 of 50 (Cocobolo / Adirondack Spruce)
Sound Clips are here.

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 02:50:09 AM »
Played the PRS acoustic tone and was beyond disappointed with the tone. Very muddy Gibson-esque and surprisingly mundane considering the price tag.  For the price asked, one can seriously consider a Kent Hamblin, Simon Fay, or some other midrange custom builder. 

Frankly, if Taylor didn't exist, I think I'd be a Jean Larrivee owner.  Breedlove or Collings are right there with Larrivee. 
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

ewalling

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
With no disrespect to Taylor, there are so many excellent guitars at very reasonble prices around now that it wouldn't trouble me. I recently bought a gorgeous little Japanese-made Takamine, the tf87pt, online that cost the same as a 3-series Taylor without electronics. This one, in the Takamine New Yorker size, has a solid cedar top with solid koa back and sides. It also has Takamine's cooltube, but right now it's the acoustic sound that I'm enjoying. I do really like my GC3, but there's no shortage of great options for us at the moment.

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
Before I got my first Taylor I really had no interest in anything but Martin. The 110 – even though I did not keep it – and in particular my GC-5 showed me that other makers could offer something different and enjoyable. If it had not been for Taylor, I probably would have had no interest in anything but Martin. As it is, though, I now am intrigued by all sorts of possibilities!

That's a good thing, no?
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Brian

• just a box of rain...
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
Good question.  I like trying and learning about different guitars, Taylors included.  I recently discovered the Gibson J-45 which (to me) is just an incredible guitar, so I'd have to say that's what I'd be playing.  I'm really glad I decided to try one out.  Good tone to my ears, I find it easy to play and it's a good looker with some mojo to boot. 

That said I definitely like Taylor guitars and will always have at least one around (well actually at least two because I like having a larger Taylor and a GS Mini).  The minis continue to amaze me.

-Brian

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
I can not imaging not having a Taylor.

I do have a Martin M-36 and its a good guitar, I have had Takamine's and there ok.  Maybe a guitar made of carpet fiber, I don't know, maybe I would still be playing electric only. :o
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2012, 12:09:16 PM »
Maybe a guitar made of carpet fiber ...

Now that's something you don't see everyday! May sound a little muffled.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber