Author Topic: Suppose Taylor never existed...  (Read 16420 times)

Iplay2

Re: Suppose Taylor never existed...
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »
Other than my Ovation, I remember really longing for a Takamine dread.  I saw so many artists playing them that I thought they must be the real "high end" of guitars.  When I bought my first all wood guitar, I played every Takamine in the store.  The action on all of them was awful, and they all sounded pretty terrible.  Then I went into the highend room (which I new would all be way out of my price range) and played a couple Taylors and Martins, at which point I was blown away.  Although I couldn't afford one of those at that time, I did lose my urge for a Takamine and just couldn't lay down the cash for one. 

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 12:57:29 PM »
It's a difficult question to answer, because my guitar acquisitions over the years were somewhat of an evolution. My skills and my tastes have changed with the passage of time. When I began my journey into higher priced guitars, Gibson was my choice. I then gravitated to Guild, Takamine and Ovation, before buying my first of eight different Martins. When I bought my first Taylor (a GA), it opened up a whole new world of possibilities. While collecting my current herd, I also bought (and later sold) a Santa Cruz and a couple of Loudens. I also purchased two Larrivees, but later sold one. So if there were no Taylors, I might still be a Martin player (probably OMs), but I'd like to think that I would also be playing more Larrivee, Bourgeois, Collings and Santa Cruz guitars.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2011, 12:20:35 AM »
If Taylor never existed? Then maybe a Martin. I've played lots of Martins, and although I do like them, I have never found one I really wanted to take home until I heard the sound of this one:
http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/Martin%20DCX1KE.jpg
This is the one I rent every year for my daughter from Jon Garon of MFG when we go to Florida. It's a Martin DCX1KE. I realize this is not one of Martin's high end offerings but all I can say is I love it's sound! We have actually considered asking Jon if we could buy it, but then it wouldn't be there in Florida for us to rent anymore. Answer to question - a Martin and probably this one!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:37:31 PM by michaelw »
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

Jannie

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2011, 12:53:41 AM »
When I was at my local guitar store yesterday, one of the guys there was restringing a custom guitar built by a local builder, it was beyond beautiful, in the almost $5,000 range. He said the maker only makes about 12 guitars a year and they are all works of art. I didn't play or get to hear it but it was so far beyond anything I'd seen before that I just had to wonder how many more custom artists there might be in this world who put that much effort into a guitar and I like thinking about that-a lot.

Jannie

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »
Martin, it's what I played all through my younger years and I still like them, but I play a Taylor now.

dcarey

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »
I'd have a couple of Guilds and probably a Rainsong, plus the other non-Taylor guitars in my sig!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

dkoloff

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »
Even though not in possession of one at the moment I have had several Larrivees that i have really enjoyed.....particularly the pv-09 parlor and the omv-60 was spectacular. That one gave its life for my Taylor Custom GA. Pretty happy with my non Taylor lineup at the moment but a new addition or two are in the offing>

Okay.....add a Santa Cruz deep bodied OMS to the Larrivee as well.
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
Martins, probably nothing but Martins.

I'm glad that when I took up the guitar again a few years back, I walked into a shop that sold Taylors and not Martins. It gave me the chance to try guitars I never would have even thought about otherwise. And although I certainly love my Martins, it is really nice to have a Taylor with a different voice entirely.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
I'd be quite happy with my Martin.
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
Hmmmm. I guess I might still have my Takamine because it was my first Taylor and becoming an AGF member that got me started on this whole GAS thing in 2006...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:44:14 PM by jrporter »

egkor

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »
I would probably still have my Tacoma dreads (DR14e and DR14Ce non-cut and cut), and a lot more $'s in the bank.   :)

-Gary K
Taylor- 614ce (2012), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
I had a Gibson Gospel acoustic back in the 70s.  Then went through another "electric" stage, then a couple decades of just occasional playing around the house or on the boat.  I was pretty content with the Ovation I had until this year, when my wife suggested another guitar.  Two Taylors later, I have discovered how much more there is to the sound of a nice guitar.

If no Taylor, I'd probably have an Ovation or a Gibson.  But, I have seen the light... or, more accurately: heard the difference.  :)

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

MTLeonard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
I think this goes beyond what guitar we are playing to the way we look at Guitar Manufacturers in general. Bob Taylor has revolutionized the industry. I owend a Martin before I was able to get a Taylor. My Martin needed to be set up by a luthier to be playable. Taylors are fine right out of the box. The bridge pulled up on my Martin I paid a luthier to fix it. The neck twisted on the first Taylor I owned. A replacement neck was sent to the local Taylor dealer and thier luthier installed it FREE! The customer service is unbeatable.
Also as a Taylor owner I feel part of a family. It matters not what level of a player you are you are welcome in the Taylor family. Just go to a Find your fit or Road Show. Even better visit the Taylor Factory. My Grandaughter and I took the tour a couple years ago and it was great good fun.  I have never met a representitive of another Guitar company much less had a direct e-mail with one.
The Guitars Taylors factory turns out are top of the line that is a fact! Bob Taylors vision has created a unique community of guitar players that are loyal to the product  not just because of the quality, sound and playabiity but because of the support and commitment.
When your meet another Taylor you have a new friend. That does not happen with other brands.
If Taylor never existed gutiars as we have come to expect them would not exist. The industry would most likley look very different than it does today. For one I thank Bob Taylor for his vision and the way he runs his operation. From working to conserve the supply  of woods needed to build quality guitars to his  comitment to us his customers.
I don't want to think about what it would be like if Taylor didn't exist.
If Pro is the opposite of Con
Progress must be the Opposite of Congress

GS Mini
Grafted Walnut 414 LDT
714 W/Spruce Top
Dan Carry Signature

play2praiseHim

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
Probably a Gibson Hummingbird TV or a Martin 0000-15 custom or a Martin J-40. Or maybe a Goodall or Lowden, or Collings.
Lady Toni
2013 Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage Ltd.
2012 GS Mini LTD Tasmanian Blackwood

asahi

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »
probably an 000-28h wired.
i would keep my martin dreadnought.
maybe venture over to check out a gibson, larrivee, or something like that.
lucky you live hawaii

'04 goodall tbrd mg adi/braz (4sale)
'04 galloup eclipse mg braz (4sale)