Author Topic: Suppose Taylor never existed...  (Read 16413 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Suppose Taylor never existed...
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »
Just for fun, imagine that the Taylor Guitar company never existed.  What kind of guitars do you think you'd be playing -- and why?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
Re: Suppose Taylor never existed...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
I would be a sad pathetic shell of a man ;D.

If not Taylor, I would probably go to the L series Yamaha's and Larrivee.  I've never realy been a Martin or Gibson kind of guy, and Fender can only make electrics.

If pushed to go more "upscale", I would go private luthier, such as Kostal, McKnight or Stehr, just to name a few of my favorites.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

Iplay2

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »
Just for fun, imagine that the Taylor Guitar company never existed.  What kind of guitars do you think you'd be playing -- and why?

I would probably be playing Ovations still.  My dad always played them, and that is what I grew up with.  I am so glad that I stumbled across Taylors.  I remeber the fist one I played at Mars Music.  I couldn't imagine how anyone could spend that much money on a guitar!!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:22:58 PM by UTGF-Team »

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »
That's not fun even to imagine!   :)

In my much younger, Bluegrass playing years, it seemed everyone was putting a Martin in my hands and trying the Jedi Mind Trick ("You WILL like this guitar") ... however, while the tone was good, they never felt right to me and my finger-picking self (I kept this mostly hidden for Bluegrass purposes mind you) ... anyway, in those days it was Yamaha's, Alverez's and Takamine's ... I am not sure what I'd wind up with if not for Taylor's because they just seem to combine the things I like most ... I suppose I'd go with an upper level Yamaha based on other guitars I've played in the last few years. 

-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

rudals1281

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »
Collings!!!
2008 Taylor 614CE

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »
I probably would have ended up with a Martin, I played alot of them while I was looking or a Yamaha since that's my other guitar.  I played some Gibson's - and some people like them very much, and I've toured the Montana acoustic factory - but they just aren't for me. 

Maybe it's BC I'm so inexperienced that I don't even know if I'm in tune most of the time (without my tuner) but when I heard the the tone of the Taylors, well.......they got me at hello....

Iplay2

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »
Maybe it's BC I'm so inexperienced that I don't even know if I'm in tune most of the time (without my tuner) but when I heard the the tone of the Taylors, well.......they got me at hello....

When I first stated playing, an acoustic was just an acoustic to me...till I played my first Taylor.  It was the first time the name on the headstock impressed more than the way the guitar looked.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
When I first stated playing, an acoustic was just an acoustic to me...till I played my first Taylor.  It was the first time the name on the headstock impressed more than the way the guitar looked.
[/quote]

So true, I was so uneducated about all the different things that go into a guitar and learning so much from all of you guys/gals.

I had no idea that wood type, body style, string gauge, etc, etc has so much to do with the way something sounds.  I have managed to get to a couple of Road Shows and really like hearing all the different guitars - I like that they play the same thing on the different models and you can tell the difference.  I saw Mark Seal in FL this past summer and he was so nice and such a good player that I was inspired to learn more - and I won a t-shirt  ;D

I hope Santa brings me a Mini (played one yesterday and it just blew me away).

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

Same here.  Friends had Martins, which I liked well enough, but not enough to shell out that kind of cash.  I had my late-70s deep-bowl Ovation that played amazingly, and sounded genuinely good (unlike the rest of the Oavations with shallow bowl that seem intended for stage only and have little guts acoustically).  Loved that ovation and never cared to swap ...until I tried a Taylor.  Done.

Edward

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »
My local store (Dusty Strings in Seattle) carries Taylor, Martin, Collings, and some Santa Cruz.  If Taylor didn't exist, I have a feeling I might have started out with a cheap Martin, grown frustrated by the tone fairly quickly, then moved up to a beautiful Collings.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 01:18:01 AM »
probably a RainSong WS1000, but if there was never a grand auditorium body style,
that particular shape may not have existed either ... or a Martin GPCPA-something

never really thought about it &
i'm trying not to think about it ...

where's that carbon fiber section, again (heh)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »
I actually don't know what I'd be playing if Taylor didn't exist. The tone of Martins and Gibsons aren't pleasing to me, and my local stores don't carry many other high end brands so I've never had the chance to try others. However, I'm QUITE satisfied with Taylor.  :D
Cindy

forhim

• With All Our Might
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 11:30:44 AM »
If not Taylor, I would probably go to the L series Yamaha's and Larrivee.  I've never realy been a Martin or Gibson kind of guy, and Fender can only make electrics.

Like Boon, probably Larrivee...

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »
Air guitar!   ;D j/k

Well, when I went shopping for my Taylor I was also considering Guild and Seagull, so, probably one of those.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Terry

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »
I think I would be into Bougeois  more if Taylor wasn't around. I have one, which is wonderful, but you just don't come across a lot of them.
 Without Taylor it is likely a lot of the Asian made brands would have gained more traction sooner.
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini