Author Topic: Saw a bunch of Taylors on American Idol last night  (Read 3719 times)

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
Saw a bunch of Taylors on American Idol last night
« on: January 22, 2016, 03:15:15 PM »
This is not a threat discussing the merits of American Idol (or how it's destroying the world as we know it) but I've really enjoyed the past couple of seasons, especially when they have singer/guitarists auditioning and competing. Too bad this is the last season.

I saw a bunch of Taylors on the show last night. One guy playing a GS mini was really good. There were quite a few Martins also. I also so quite a few guitars from the "other" categogory (Washburn, Epiphone, Takamine, etc.). I even saw a few Fender acoustics.

I'm pretty sure as the show progresses, we'll see some of the artists from the "other" category upgrading to Taylors and Martins.

It seems like I remember someone on this forum (or maybe it was another one) who worked at a music store in L.A. saying that some of the contestants bought new guitars from his store last season.

2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

kcnbys

Re: Saw a bunch of Taylors on American Idol last night
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
Ted at LA Guitar Sales has had past AI contestants purchase from him.  I believe one guy a couple year's ago bought a custom spruce top Martin OM-15 (or 000-15) LA Guitar Sales.  I saw one guy last week on AI audition with an early or mid '90's 814c (pretty sure), and it was one of the best sounding "audition" guitars I've ever seen on that show.
2019 Taylor 517
1997 Taylor 410
2019 Yamaha FS800

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:09:59 AM »
A few seasons back I recall on the AI "mentor sessions" that there were Taylors lying around aplenty in the mentor's studio in full view of the cameras.  Some kind of arrangement between AI and Taylor?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:14:54 PM »
It seems to me that a few years back whenever someone was playing a guitar on the show the name on the headstock would have black tape over it, but not now.

Anyone know why they covered the logos before and don't now? Maybe they were trying to get $$ from the guitar makers to let their logos appear.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:02:49 PM »
Anyone know why they covered the logos before and don't now? Maybe they were trying to get $$ from the guitar makers to let their logos appear.

That would be my guess, that they gave up. Or, Taylor did a deal, but in the past Bob has always said no to those types of requests. Previous poster is correct, unless the singer owns it already, Ted in LA is "the man" and supplier/seller of all those guitars.

https://www.laguitarsales.com/index.php/products/guitars/taylor-guitars.html
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Andromeda

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »
It seems to me that a few years back whenever someone was playing a guitar on the show the name on the headstock would have black tape over it, but not now.

It's not American Idol, but tonight was a re-run of the Big Bang Theory where Raj was playing a Taylor with some design taped over the name.
2016 Taylor Custom Cedar-Rosewood GS
2015 Breedlove Discovery Dreadnaught
2012 Alvarez ABT60 Baritone

Namasté

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 04:10:43 AM »
It's not American Idol, but tonight was a re-run of the Big Bang Theory where Raj was playing a Taylor with some design taped over the name.

Likewise, "New Girl" was on in the background at home the other day, and the star was playing a Baby - logo and all! (thanks to daughter #2 for the shout-out...)

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 02:07:22 PM »
This guy was great. Great energy and stage presence. Nice guitar playing, too.

More Taylors:

2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 07:39:06 PM »
I saw most of those pictured.  The top (first) one was excellent, some other good ones to.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.